• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

This. Yes - Welman�s acolyte will be another disaster. Thank you Nathan Hatch. Show me any other University President�s hiring statement for an AD where he/she mentions the new AD�s previous firing. What a disaster.

�John and I have talked at length about his time as Athletic Director at Tennessee," said Hatch. "His abilities as a leader were put to the test through what was clearly a trying period for him personally and professionally.�

If not for the situation I’d agree with you. This is clearly saying “those UT fucks were nuts” (which is also true).

If the Currie -Tennessee situation had not been addressed, there would have been many questions. Currie's very short tenure at TN was a national story for weeks. One of the few times many people heard about the inner workings of athletics departments and coaching hires.

Ph, what evidence do we have that he ever gave a contract with an eight figure buyout and/or guarantee?

That’s the only thing that’s been reported.

What evidence do we have that he didn’t?

OGB, you asked for a worst case scenario and I gave you one.

I took issue with your idea that conferences could only expand within their immediate area. That was a faulty foundation to your premise. I don't agree with you or Reff on specifics. I presented my own reasonable worst case.

You mean other than the paying recruits investigation?

Currie’s first hire will be a legacy defining move. Football is on a great trajectory, facilities are out of this world, non-revenue sports have had tremendous success. He will be putting it all on the line right away. I trust that he knows the magnitude of this choice.

This. Yes - Welman�s acolyte will be another disaster. Thank you Nathan Hatch. Show me any other University President�s hiring statement for an AD where he/she mentions the new AD�s previous firing. What a disaster.

�John and I have talked at length about his time as Athletic Director at Tennessee," said Hatch. "His abilities as a leader were put to the test through what was clearly a trying period for him personally and professionally.�

How much longer will Hatch be at Wake?

It’s been known for years - it’s all in the 990s. Off the top of my head, it was paid off in 1 year and was around $1.5 to 2 million.

Ok. Thanks. That’s not paying Dino off for years. And long contracts don’t prove anything if we had reasonable buyout options. I don’t think Wellman’s history supports an absurd buyout or guarantee.

Yeah isnt pearl one of the main ones being involved in thisbmost recent major scandal involving the payment of recruits? not saying Currie is at fault...but pearl was and always will be a cheater.

How much longer will Hatch be at Wake?

If he's a smart man, until he's dead. No easier job in the world. There is no better scam than admin and fundraising for higher education.

Hey rich alumni give us another 20M so we can say that our bank account is bigger than the other schools!

This is also what I’ve heard as a ballpark
I've heard that number twice today...when pressed, both finally admitted it traced back to here. If you have legit independently verified info, post it, but far too often things show up here, filter through the rumor mill and then get posted back as confirmed.

Look no further than the Shaka to Wake rumor...a single Facebook post that has turned into vague "heard from an insider" postings across the Wake, VCU and Texas boards.

Last edited:
I've heard that number twice today...when pressed, both finally admitted it traced back to here. If you have legit independently verified info, post it, but far too often things show up here, filter through the rumor mill and then get posted back as confirmed.

Look no further than the Shaka to Wake rumor...a single Facebook post that has turned into vague "heard from an insider" postings across the Wake, VCU and Texas boards.

I hear from a source at the BOT that [Redacted] is OUT

i'm holding my deacon club renewal (since a decade ago) until i see a new basketball coach.
still pumped though. so disregarding all these negative nannies. :p

I would take Bruce Pearl in a heartbeat. Not sure he would want to come to wake considering how he likes to recruit, but would be a fun coach to have. I tend to doubt he would take as many chances at Wake as he has in the past (much like Cal has 'cleaned up' at Kentucky...obviously this would be to a much lesser degree).

My post above was complete guesswork based on reported salary figures. No insider from me. I doubt we will get an insider on this issue. If they were able to make the announcement that Wellman was being retired without a single person on this board being aware (I am assuming that to be the case), then we won't find the buyout info surreptitiously. It will only come out if someone does some tax research.

I'll laugh if Manning's firing is announced as a resignation. That would be 3 major revenue coaches in a row that were fired but announced as resignations. Wake's too nice to fire people!

I'll laugh if Manning's firing is announced as a resignation. That would be 3 major revenue coaches in a row that were fired but announced as resignations. Wake's too nice to fire people!

i have a feeling you will be laughing

Shhh, you're ruining the illusion.

Don’t we start getting paid good money from the ACC Network this fall? Will two years of these payments pay for the buyout? Anybody?

Shit, start getting a legit 10K plus fans at the Joel for all/most games paying real ticket prices, and that probably covers the buyout.

Back