• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Given that the replacement was lined up and ready to go,this looks like a forced "retirement" and we have a kingmaker behind the scenes.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we already have a coach lined up to replace manning as soon as it is proper to make the announcement. Would make sense to not throw Currie into a coaching search right away given his flameout at UT. The decision could very well be made for him and he knows it coming in.

Hmm, we played K-State in the play-in game. We suck. K-State could end Kansas' rein as regular season Champs. Currie hired Webber.

Currie graduated from Wake in 93, so he experienced the end of the Staak era and the beginning of the Odom era. He's seen games in the old Colosseum, driving to G'borl and the Joel. I'd like to think he has perspective on how important hoops is to the Wake community.

Since he hired Webber, I'd hope he's not afraid of a coach with a personality.

This is a legendary night. Wow. Our fanbase has disintegrated this past decade. It will be interesting to look back on these next couple weeks. I just can’t get very excited about the coaching search and not sure Wake basketball can ever mean what it used to (to me).

I get it. But for me this is the best I’ve felt about Wake basketball in a decade

IN the first fifty.

Let's go hire a sweet basketball coach

Given that the replacement was lined up and ready to go,this looks like a forced "retirement" and we have a kingmaker behind the scenes.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we already have a coach lined up to replace manning as soon as it is proper to make the announcement.

Of course that means it's not Oats or Shaka.

Hmm, we played K-State in the play-in game. We suck. K-State could end Kansas' rein as regular season Champs. Currie hired Webber.

Currie graduated from Wake in 93, so he experienced the end of the Staak era and the beginning of the Odom era. He's seen games in the old Colosseum, driving to G'borl and the Joel. I'd like to think he has perspective on how important hoops is to the Wake community.

Since he hired Webber, I'd hope he's not afraid of a coach with a personality.

93 was full Odom, no Staak other than inherited players

I’m giddy. I love basketball. I love the ACC. I’ve wandered for a decade. I want to be excited again.

All of a sudden I feel like a kid trying to go to sleep on Christmas Eve night.

93 was full Odom, no Staak other than inherited players

You are right.

So he knows crap in freshman year (90). The arrival of RR and Childress (91). Dissapointing Childress redshirt year (92). One our best under achieving teams (crushing UNC at home, killing Temple at McGonagal hall) but beginning our long time frustration of losing to KY in the NCAA's.

He was a Wake employee during the Duncan years so he knows what we can do.

Overall, if we had an entire discussion about a coach with Wake ties, I'd think an AD with Wake ties might be more important, especially if they experienced a lot of the high points for Wake hoops.

Of currie could get weber to k state and schiano to TN then Matta is def in play here.

Schiano was a fucking awful choice. Currie will need some time to redeem himself for that one.

Well Sunday morning on the boards with be interesting for all those that go to sleep 'early'. I think I've primarily check the boards daily for some surprise new like this for months.

You are right.

So he knows crap in freshman year (90). The arrival of RR and Childress (91). Dissapointing Childress redshirt year (92). One our best under achieving teams (crushing UNC at home, killing Temple at McGonagal hall) but beginning our long time frustration of losing to KY in the NCAA's.

He was a Wake employee during the Duncan years so he knows what we can do.

Overall, if we had an entire discussion about a coach with Wake ties, I'd think an AD with Wake ties might be more important, especially if they experienced a lot of the high points for Wake hoops.

90s Deacs are winning Deacs.

Schiano was a fucking awful choice. Currie will need some time to redeem himself for that one.

Bullshit. The Rutgers job was hands down the worst job in D1 college football. Schiano's accomplishments there dwarf what Grobe did. Sure he may have sucked at TB but Saban sucked at Miami. Pruitt may prove to be a stud at UT but compared to last 20 years of Fullmer, Kiffin, and Jones...schiano was 10x what they had sniffed at UT in 20 years.

Last edited:
Bullshit. The Rutgers job was hands down the worst job in D1 college football. Schiano's accomplishments there dwarf what Grobe did. Sure he may have sucked at TB but Saban sucked at Miami. Pruitt may prove to be a stuf at UT but compared to last 10 years of Fullmer, Kiffin, and Jones...schiano was 10x what they had sniffed at UT in 20 years.

we have a football coach anyhow.
can the fucker hire a basketball coach is all i care about

Back