• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Aus-koala-18-happy.x13645.jpg

Well i’m certainly as glad as anyone to see Welmman gone, is Currie really the best we can do? It’s a very plum AD job and we give it to a national laughing stock just because he went to college here 30 years ago? I’m not super optimistic on his ability to hire a top flight coach based on reputation alone - remember he went through like 10 candidates at Tenn before he finally got canned. You can imagine something similar here...

Watch for all the “supporting” quotes at the announcement from other ADs to try and help sell the soap (like Redacted).

Mrs. Wellman recently had a major health issue that may have also entered the decision making process.

Well i’m certainly as glad as anyone to see Welmman gone, is Currie really the best we can do? It’s a very plum AD job and we give it to a national laughing stock just because he went to college here 30 years ago? I’m not super optimistic on his ability to hire a top flight coach based on reputation alone - remember he went through like 10 candidates at Tenn before he finally got canned. You can imagine something similar here...

Watch for all the “supporting” quotes at the announcement from other ADs to try and help sell the soap (like Redacted).

The stuff at Tennessee was an inside hit job by Fulmer and the big boosters. It was orchestrated and they were biding their time. The football vacancy just happened to be when they pounced.

I think Currie will be fine.

I would have preferred Buddie, but I'm good. He did a phenomenal job at K-State and the situation at TN seems larger than just his ability and related to Fullmer (much like another fairly recent Wake hire who has worked out very well).

Yeah if Clawson and Currie’s respective tenures at Tennessee are any indication, I think it’s safe to say that university and fan base aren’t exactly filled with stable geniuses.

I don’t know anything about these guys, but have been around long enough to remember several years ago when Currie was the hot name.

If only curry could bring rick Barnes to wake. As I recall, Barnes was supportive of curry during the football debacle and Barnes is from hickory. One can dream.

Realistically, he probably isn't even a possibility for us until he had his Icarus moment at UT. Prior to that he was the one name everyone would have killed for. He may be damaged goods right now, but I am looking forward to his redemption being here instead of more years of Wellman.

The stuff at Tennessee was an inside hit job by Fulmer and the big boosters. It was orchestrated and they were biding their time. The football vacancy just happened to be when they pounced.

Mmm - i think it’s a little head in the sand to not see all the mistakes that Currie made in that process, even if Fat Phil was trying to undermine him.

Realistically, he probably isn't even a possibility for us until he had his Icarus moment at UT. Prior to that he was the one name everyone would have killed for. He may be damaged goods right now, but I am looking forward to his redemption being here instead of more years of Wellman.

Yeah this is my concern - he has to make a massive hire while he is still rehabbing his reputation. It’s just a headwind we don’t need.

I think Currie will be fine.

I would have preferred Buddie, but I'm good. He did a phenomenal job at K-State and the situation at TN seems larger than just his ability and related to Fullmer (much like another fairly recent Wake hire who has worked out very well).

This is exactly how I feel.

John probably learned a lot from his last run at Tn. He and Clawson could share some lessons learned from hard times. I think he will make a great hire this time around. He loves basketball !

Back