• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman Retiring; Currie New AD

Okey-dokey, champ. Have fun daydreaming about getting Ron to eat shit and die. I hope that make you feel better about your lot in life.

Wellman, despite the current state of the basketball program, has been good for Wake. I thank him for all his service and wish him well in retirement.

And think they nailed his replacement with Currie.

That is asinine. Our flagship program, the only one that really matters, has been in the crapper for 10 YEARS. Anything and everything else that Ron has done is irrelevant.

Okey-dokey, champ. Have fun daydreaming about getting Ron to eat shit and die. I hope that make you feel better about your lot in life.

Wellman, despite the current state of the basketball program, has been good for Wake. I thank him for all his service and wish him well in retirement.

After today I won’t spare a thought for the man. Have fun yucking it up with him at Fratelli’s for the next ten years and then Arbor Acres for the next ten after that. I have no ill will for Ron Wellman the man, just Ron Wellman the AD.

That is asinine. Our flagship program, the only one that really matters, has been in the crapper for 10 YEARS. Anything and everything else that Ron has done is irrelevant.

Exactly. Well said. You can’t say “despite the shitty basketball program”. That’s not how it works around here.

If your expectation is anything other than a swan song and moving on to the future, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. Wellman did a lot in his time here, and he made plenty of mistakes. It was past time. This will be a lot like when we moved Grobe along. You can be upset that your hurt feelings aren’t given a salve, but it will be time to move on.

This is the best thing to happen at Wake Forest in over a decade. John Currie is bringing us back. They could could not have made a better hire. For those shitting on the BOT, of few of them made this happen. “Public support” means absolutely nothing.

I"m thankful for Ron's service. Ron guided wake through the difficult period of consolidation of the P5. That said, I'm glad he's gone. I wish he left once consolidation was over. During a period of the greatest concentration of wealth in the last 200 years, I'm not going to celebrate the efforts of Ron Wellman to get money from the uber rich. He's destroyed the fan base of our flagship program. If we were nationally relevant, the Mit Shaw center would have still happened, maybe sooner. His arrogance is at a level rarely seen in D1 sports. The Dino, Bz and Manning hires would have cost most P5 AD's their job's long ago.

Don’t over analyze Currie and the Tennessee thing. I’ve known John a long time and he will be a fantastic AD and will be at Wake a long time. Don’t listen to Vol fans. The spin they have on what happened with John is not accurate as to what really happened. He was a really good AD at Kansas State and got a raw deal in the asylum that is Tennessee athletics. John is a fantastic fund raiser too and he will be terrific at Wake. I will begin donating to the Deacon Club again immediately and I know there are a bunch like me that will do the same.
Clearly UT is an asylum so yeah, I'm definitely optimistic based on his excellent KSU record. But I've been burned so much by WFU athletics that I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach.

As to Wellman... I get the fury and why people are angry. I'm glad he's leaving, it's past time. Not going to gloat or post nasty things about him anymore, time to move on into a hopefully bright future.

Thanks for posting these. They’re quite a read, and a little worrisome regarding Currie. But mainly, they are hilarious - Brady Hoke texting in all caps and Mike Leach texting to meet him by the bike path near the water. Lol.

I’m not thankful for Ron’s service. We way over paid him to wear a tie. Welcome John!

I had to stay in town in Richmond yesterday and a Wake buddy called with tix to the VCU/Richmond game, which was great! Another friend spoke with me there and said VCU insiders think Shaka to Wake is a done deal. That would please me as he teaches D

These folks with "seats at the table" are the reason this nightmare has gone on for 9 years...

I had to stay in town in Richmond yesterday and a Wake buddy called with tix to the VCU/Richmond game, which was great! Another friend spoke with me there and said VCU insiders think Shaka to Wake is a done deal. That would please me as he teaches D

"If Texas fires Shaka Smart after this season, the buyout is $13.8 million. Del Conte runs one of the most lucrative athletic departments in the country, but eight figures isn't a small price to pay." - That's nothing compared to our $18m Manning buyout.

Amazing how quickly one Facebook post by a VCU fan can turn into "truth"...

I did not expect to read this today, that’s for sure

If we got Shaka Smart, it would be a negotiated parting of the ways with Texas I would imagine.

And the $18 million is fantasy.

The question is - Is Danny packing his office this morning?

The $18M is not the real number.

Can not wait to sign back up for the Deacon club. Amazing news.

Wellman should have been fired for his post game press conferences and holier than though attitude towards the fan base during the [Redacted] era. His actions directly fueled a fan revolt and cost wake a decade of fans and their lifetime contributions. I can't find the video, but he was a smug prick till the bitter end about his butt buddy Jeff.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/w...cle_1cfcf0a8-b094-11e3-b197-0017a43b2370.html

Back