• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What killed the middle class?

I don’t want to click the link and give my computer teh AIDS, but it feels like it’s probably millennials.

I don’t want to click the link and give my computer teh AIDS, but it feels like it’s probably millennials.

Actually there has been little growth of the lower class in America. If anything what is killing the middle class is more people are becoming wealthy. Damn capitalism.

FT_18.09.05_Middle-Income_2.png

What do you mean? There’s only been 4% growth in the lower class but there’s been FIVE!!! percent growth in the upper class.

I pay an absurd amount of my annual income into taxes. I think I'm probably middle class, but toward the lower end of middle instead of the upper. Year after year, the amount of income, sales, and property taxes that I pay are standout numbers when I'm budgeting for the next fiscal year.

I pay an absurd amount of my annual income into taxes. I think I'm probably middle class, but toward the lower end of middle instead of the upper. Year after year, the amount of income, sales, and property taxes that I pay are standout numbers when I'm budgeting for the next fiscal year.

exactly. It is absurd that the ownership class is not paying more, and producers like you are not relieved of such a heavy tax burden.

I bet you loved that Trump tax cut

http://www.aei.org/publication/yes-the-us-middle-class-is-shrinking-but-its-because-americans-are-moving-up-and-no-americans-are-not-struggling-to-afford-a-home/

Bottom Line: There has been a shrinkage of America’s middle class over time (by either measure above), but it’s not a story of economic gloom and doom, characterized by a “widening gap between what Americans earn and the housing they can afford” but rather a positive story of economic prosperity and upward mobility that has gradually but consistently lifted millions of lower-income and middle-income US households into higher income groups over time. The fact that nearly 28% of US households annually earn $100,000 or more runs counter to the widespread narrative of an American middle-class in decline and deserves much greater attention as evidence of a dynamic and prosperous America with significant income mobility.

Why do so many members of the Tunnels' Left gnash teeth over economic prosperity and upward mobility?

exactly. It is absurd that the ownership class is not paying more, and producers like you are not relieved of such a heavy tax burden.

Perhaps I'm confusing you with another lefty (and if so I apologize in advance)... but isn't your wife a small business owner?

If so, now that she is a member of the ownership class, what is a fair tax rate for her to pay? 50%? 55%? 70%?

Back