• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP - Report Duke Blue Devils - Tuesday ESPN 7 pm

Childress had a great second half, but man he threw up a couple of bricks in crunch time.

He tries to take every big shot - usually a flailing 3 pointer trying to draw a foul. Sometimes they fall - like the Miami game, but more often than not - they haven't.

BC was looking to hit that 3 at the buzzer and then to throw his gum into the stands!

Refs would've called a double tech and let Duke shoot free throws to win the game with the way things were called last night.

Who on that Duke team was going to actually make free throws to win the game? Because the only guy who wanted the ball was 6-14 at the line.

Who on that Duke team was going to actually make free throws to win the game? Because the only guy who wanted the ball was 6-14 at the line.

Good point, although I'm sure they would have let K decide to put Jones on the line for the FTs. Those refs had on blue underwear.

Sharone Wright Jr. has star potential and there overall is a lot of talent on this team. Too bad Sarr wasn't available.

I like a lot of the guys on this team longer term. It’s not hard to envision us being significantly improved with a better coach. Hoard could be really special as a sophomore if he stays (which he should).

BTW, we shot FTs worse than Duke last night making 7-12 versus 16-26. We only had 12 turnovers though, which is encouraging.

At the end of the day, we had no business even being within 1 of Duke at the end of the game, especially with how awful the officiating was (but that's no surprise in Cameron). We had ample chances to win the game before that last play. What's so surprising is how bad Duke looks. Zion coming back will help, but it's obvious K is no longer coaching and simply recruiting the best players and rolling the ball out there and letting them play.

thoughts

I attended the game, which was a first for me to go to Cameron. On a pure basketball perspective, it was surreal. I've been watching that place on TV my whole life and the hype is real. Its a fantastic atmosphere and everything reeks of money. The volume level of the music is a bit too much though. Almost comically loud. Every timeout the video screen shows their rings and banners. Very obnoxious. The whole game is treated like a show. Even their on court announcer is chipper when a player subs in, "And here comes RJ BARE-ETTT!!". It was stupid and I hate Duke even more with their dumb faces.

Dwayne Wade was there.

What is also real is the "Cameron bias". I lost count on how many terrible, terrible calls were made against Wake. Mid 2nd half, a Wake fan in front of me was within earshot of a ref and he yelled "9 fouls to 4 ref!" implying the foul disparity. That same ref gave the Wake section a real good stink eye as he left the court after the game. Its unconscionable that Duke gets away with this crap at all their home games.

My personal hero is the Wake fan with the crazy loud voice who yells "Miss it!" during EVERY (and I mean every) Duke foul shot. The entire place gets very quiet during the free throws, so his voice was huge. When the game was very close at the end and Barrett bricked another one, a Duke fan got into the face of the loud Wake guy and a police officer had to make the Duke fan back off.

There were a lot of nervous Dookies last night, and I enjoyed every second of it. Obviously a win was what I wanted, but if there was ever a "bad win" for a team, this was it. Wake played a matchup zone/man to man defense that really confused Duke quite a bit. Best defense of the year. Barrett is almost impossible to guard. He reminds me a lot of Paul Pierce.

The reason Hoard was out for long stretches of the game was because he played a terrible game. Many turnovers, too much one on one attempts, dumb fouls. He didn't let the game come to him.

Chaundee essentially willed Wake at the end. His free throws were crazy clutch at the end. That dude has the heart of a champion.

Chaundee and Ikenna (who had the best first half of his life) were rebounding monsters. Wake rebounded the ball extremely well and competed every possession.

My impression was that the players were really laying it all out for their coach and his future. That's my hot take. Of course, why not do that all year? I hope they see this game as a stepping stone and they realize if they play like that every game, they can run with any team in the country.

Sharone Wright Jr. has star potential and there overall is a lot of talent on this team. Too bad Sarr wasn't available.

We badly need a rebounder and a true PG if Sharone isn't that guy.

Chaundee essentially willed Wake at the end. His free throws were crazy clutch at the end. That dude has the heart of a champion.

Chaundee and Ikenna (who had the best first half of his life) were rebounding monsters. Wake rebounded the ball extremely well and competed every possession.

Yes, please, please, please don't transfer Chaundee. Cameron Indoor could barely contain his heart. He is completely living up to his ranking.

At the end of the day, we had no business even being within 1 of Duke at the end of the game, especially with how awful the officiating was (but that's no surprise in Cameron). We had ample chances to win the game before that last play. What's so surprising is how bad Duke looks. Zion coming back will help, but it's obvious K is no longer coaching and simply recruiting the best players and rolling the ball out there and letting them play.

Yeah, how many AAs are on the roster even without Zion? K has done a poor job adjusting to Zion's absence with the remaining top recruits.

Why could Chaundee leave and have to sit out a year?

A good coach could be competitive with this bunch. Particularly with how weak the lower half of the ACC is.

I attended the game, which was a first for me to go to Cameron. On a pure basketball perspective, it was surreal. I've been watching that place on TV my whole life and the hype is real. Its a fantastic atmosphere and everything reeks of money. The volume level of the music is a bit too much though. Almost comically loud. Every timeout the video screen shows their rings and banners. Very obnoxious. The whole game is treated like a show. Even their on court announcer is chipper when a player subs in, "And here comes RJ BARE-ETTT!!". It was stupid and I hate Duke even more with their dumb faces.

Nice write-up, but I often wonder what compels people who aren't Duke fans to attend a game at that place. It just seems like a miserable experience. I guess if it's a bucket list thing, but I personally don't like college basketball THAT much.

My impression was that the players were really laying it all out for their coach and his future. That's my hot take. Of course, why not do that all year? I hope they see this game as a stepping stone and they realize if they play like that every game, they can run with any team in the country.

Be a lot cooler if they were busting it because they know they're auditioning for minutes from the next coaching staff.

Yeah, how many AAs are on the roster even without Zion? K has done a poor job adjusting to Zion's absence with the remaining top recruits.

Jones, Reddish, Barrett, Bolden off the top of my head. So K could barely beat Wake with 4 burger boys. But this could just be that Duke did their usual peaking at the beginning of the season and will fall apart at the end and lose in the sweet 16.

I'm really starting to sour on Mucius. The kid needs to stop shooting and be a lot more selective with his shot selection.

In his past 20 games, he's 36-136 (26%) overall, and 7-47 (15%) from 3.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's lost us games, necessary, but in tight games it doesn't help that he's going 1-for-8 (@ Duke), 2-for-8 (Gardner-Webb), or 0-for-7 (@ Georgia Tech).

Given our dearth of talent, I certainly expected more.

Mucius provides comic relief. To his credit, no matter how many shots he has missed, Isiah's body language tell us the next one if going in (even if its not). Optimistically, think that next year (hopefully) the light will turn on for him, and he will start making a lot higher percentage of shots. This much is clear: IM has the mindset of a scorer, not a creator. For that to work, he has to actually put the ball in the basket.

Back