• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman still in charge

^ maybe so - forgive me for not having a whole lot of trust in the department given the myriad of poor decisions that have been made in the past decade.

I did find the total absence of any Manning reference to be clear he's out. I've heard rumblings the deal has been struck and will be activated on quickly in a few weeks.

This is what I'm hanging my hat on too. Struck me too that they have not referenced Manning directly, nor the BB program other than oblique-angled platitudes and general AD politicking \ speak. And no one bothered to talk to the head of the flagship program for a quote about the hiring of Currie. Seems intentional to me.

Wellman is going to handle Manning's departure, then he's going to publicly turn it over to Currie to hire the new coach. He can't exactly say that now, dinguses, even though that is definitely how this is going to happen. Don't be so nervous. Christ.

I’m still struggling with this:

- Wellman says he’s in charge until May 1 (at least on the surface)
- Agree all around that this hire is the signature decision of Currie’s start here at Wake
- so let’s say we can Manning (Wellman can do this - no big deal)
- who is leading the search (both internally and externally)?
- if we make a hire, who makes the announcement? If it’s Wellman, they have completely neutered Currie on the way in. If it’s Currie, then Wellman is a bald-faced liar yet again. Is it both of them? That still neuters Currie - it needs to be his decision and his alone.
- if we wait until May 1, that’s a total shit show
- if they don’t fire Manning, that’s an even worse shit show

I want to assume there are smart people involved here and they have thought this all through, i just can’t come up with a scenario where a change is made in April and the optics are good for everyone involved.

That’s what concerns me the most. There’s just very little evidence to suggest those people exist in the Wake Forest decision making process.

If Manning’s departure was already decided and Currie has full control over the hiring process, then the timing makes no sense. If Manning is staying, then the timing makes no sense. And there is no way in hell Wellman will have any say in the next hire.

So the only explanation is that someone at Wake thought this timeline made sense, which in itself is a troubling sign moving forward.

Is there any other example of an outgoing AD making a major hire after his departure has been announced?

Last edited:
^^^^^^^

I see what you're saying here and I share the same battered spouse fear of worst case scenario.

What is calming me is the possibility that Dave Glenn and his #sauces completely blew up their original plan and forced their hand by making sure Manning gets fired. Or the hire is waiting in the wings and this was simply the compromise in giving Wellman some semblance of "face" before he is pushed out on his streaming lance.

Wellman is going to handle Manning's departure, then he's going to publicly turn it over to Currie to hire the new coach. He can't exactly say that now, dinguses, even though that is definitely how this is going to happen. Don't be so nervous. Christ.

Exactly what I was going to post. There will be some announcement by the end of next week (assuming we go out on Tuesaday) that Manning has resigned. At that press conference, Wellman will say that Currie will be leading the search for the new coach.

That’s what concerns me the most. There’s just very little evidence to suggest those people exist in the Wake Forest decision making process.

If Manning’s departure was already decided and Currie has full control over the hiring process, then the timing makes no sense. If Manning is staying, then the timing makes no sense. And there is no way in hell Wellman will have any say in the next hire.

So the only explanation is that someone at Wake thought this timeline made sense, which in itself is a troubling sign moving forward.

Is there any other example of an outgoing AD making a major hire after his departure has been announced?

If, the good Lord willing, Manning is fired and because of Currie's work we get a home run hire during Ron's remaining time (May is too late), per Ron's proclamation these will have been his decisions. Why on earth would Currie agree to such an arrangement?

That would obviously make the most sense. Which would be the first time in a decade you could say that about the Wake AD vis a vis Wake Basketball. But then why go through the May 1 charade in the first place?

Exactly what I was going to post. There will be some announcement by the end of next week (assuming we go out on Tuesaday) that Manning has resigned. At that press conference, Wellman will say that Currie will be leading the search for the new coach.

Dang it! If only next Wednesday was March 15th! Maybe we can win on Tuesday since we're so good on Tuesdays (till tonite) this year. Nope, nevermind, 3/15 is Friday and I know there's no way in hayell we win two games in two days, then lose on Thursday. Jeez what IS the point of having a 5/6 day tourney? No 10-15 seed is ever going to Valvano their way to 5 straight wins through that gauntlet.

That would obviously make the most sense. Which would be the first time in a decade you could say that about the Wake AD vis a vis Wake Basketball. But then why go through the May 1 charade in the first place?

Maybe cuz they gotta go with something for their public announcement of Ron's retirement. Maybe his separation needs to get past a certain date in April for his full retirement salary to get triggered? May be something as esoteric as HR policy that we can't know.

Because Wellman has been there for 27 years and still has strong relationships with most people in the department. He is sticking around to show Currie our procedures and practices. It's a transition of power which makes sense given that he is the most tenured AD in the country. Currie will soon make this his own. Relax.

Whatever other message is being sent, Wellman's announced retirement at this time and Currie's hiring send the clear message that Manning is gone and that a new day is dawning for Wake Forest basketball. RW will be allowed to do the firing; but he will be denied the opportunity to bring in a new coach and staff. That honor will be Currie's. That message is the primary message being sent. It is all about basketball at this point.

Because Wellman has been there for 27 years and still has strong relationships with most people in the department. He is sticking around to show Currie our procedures and practices. It's a transition of power which makes sense given that he is the most tenured AD in the country. Currie will soon make this his own. Relax.

Seriously. If you have a CEO that has run a business you don’t just turn over the keys to someone else the next day even in the case of an encouraged departure.

Is Rchill’s last day the day the tournament ends for Wake, the day the brackets are announced and Wake isn’t an 8th seed, or the day Manning is fired?

Because a 60-day transition period is likely not a charade - they may actually need the time to handle the general transition within the Department. That doesn't mean, however, that they can't decide that Currie will hire the new coach.

Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, Wellman's quote in that article are his strongest worded in almost a decade regarding our basketball program.

Bunch of nervous Nellies in hear getting worked up that Currie didn’t have Matta pop out of cake at the reception.

May 2nd is an odd start date. It's not the first day of the month. It's not a Monday (it's a Thursday). It is the day after the last day of classes, but other than that it doesn't fit in the academic or athletic calendar.

I think it's notable that he didn't jump right back into collegiate athletics. He was fired by Tennessee on December 1, 2017 - maybe May 2, 2019 is one day after some period of time specified in his contractual settlement?

Back