• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman still in charge

Only a guess, but in business messaging and transitions are often dictated by the contract. What we pay each of these guys and when, and in particular the negotiation of terms around Wellman's departure may all be at play. There may be some compelling or generous reason why we keep him on the books and in that position until May. Doesn't mean that in practice Currie is waiting until May to take charge. Again, just a guess..

Those things can easily be amended if needed. The date is meaningless with regards to payment. If Wellman wanted to officially retire today and be paid whatever he may be owed in salary/retirement by staying to May 1st, there would be no problem making that happen.

I like that the timing allows the BB team to finish their season and then gives Wellman the opportunity to release DM from his duties. In doing so, Ronnie will be seen as fully responsible for our series of regretful hires and he will be the one to absorb any negative impressions or animosities associated with the firing. Wellman will effectively close the door to his career AND to the clusterfxxx he made of Wake basketball. Then he will publicly pass the AD baton to Currie, who will usher in the new coach HE has chosen.

Damn sure hope you are right. It's the pompous "I'm in charge of all major decisions until May" BS that's concerning. Then again, what else would you expect from this guy?

The Guy has become a total egomaniac.
"I'm still in charge"
Go F yourself Ron.

Another factor that could be in play is that besides the transition of power & getting familiar with the staff phase until May for Currie, his lower amount of AD duties right now could be beneficial to allow his full focus on a supremely important basketball hire versus having other AD duties to focus on as well.

I'm leaning towards this. Additionally, currie can work on a new coach (while danny is still cashing his checks) and ronnie can deny wake forest has been actively looking. Or something. We'll know soon.

Damn sure hope you are right. It's the pompous "I'm in charge of all major decisions until May" BS that's concerning. Then again, what else would you expect from this guy?

Exactly. Arrogantly grinning through the misery, as always. Wonk wonk.

So what are the logical dates for the next wave of legit info? Unless something gets leaked (doubtful), we won't really know Manning's fate until after the season is officially over. So that should be either next Tuesday or Wednesday. The rumors may start to fly, but I would be surprised if any official announcement actually comes during the ACC tourney. It looks like [Redacted] "retired" on March 19, which was the Thursday of the week following the ACC tourney. I would imagine a similar timeframe would be in play this time as well. So probably sometime in the March 18-22 timeframe I'm guessing.

The "I'm still in charge" comment is simply a means to deflect pressure and questions from Currie during this period. All questions of firing and hiring are to be directed to him and not to Currie. Thus the new AD can operate on the defining hire of his tenure at Wake without the constant scrutiny of the press.

The "I'm still in charge" comment is simply a means to deflect pressure and questions from Currie during this period. All questions of firing and hiring are to be directed to him and not to Currie. Thus the new AD can operate on the defining hire of his tenure at Wake without the constant scrutiny of the press.

Despite my snarky comments about RW, I agree. If he’s able to keep his shit together, Wellman’s willingness to absorb the pressure at this time to make Currie’s entry run more smoothly is actually gracious of him.

From a legal and HR perspective it is better that Ron remain in charge so that he can be the one to fire Manning for lack of performance so that Manning’s attorneys don’t have ammunition to use in a wrongful termination suit.

Along those lines, I wonder if there is a clause in Danny's contract that impacts the buyout if he's fired by a new AD. It's not likely, but could be possible. Why not ask for it?

Along those lines, I wonder if there is a clause in Danny's contract that impacts the buyout if the soup du jour is chicken tortilla. It's not likely, but could be possible. Why not ask for it?

We arnt making any serious changes in coaching as long as BChill is on the team, there is a reason Wellman is to siting to May until he retires.

The smart move would be to fire Manning's ass the minute the buzzer sounds on our first round loss in the ACC tournament. Then immediately put feelers out and see what develops during March Madness.

Of course Wake will do something weird like waiting until June

May 2nd is an odd start date. It's not the first day of the month. It's not a Monday (it's a Thursday). It is the day after the last day of classes, but other than that it doesn't fit in the academic or athletic calendar.

I think it's notable that he didn't jump right back into collegiate athletics. He was fired by Tennessee on December 1, 2017 - maybe May 2, 2019 is one day after some period of time specified in his contractual settlement?

Currie was fired by Tennessee 8 months into a five year contract. They didn't want to pay him anything more. He sued TN. That lawsuit was settled last Thursday (Feb 28). I suspect Currie became available officially at that time. That may be part of the reason nothing was announced earlier.

May is the end of the school year month. Wellman probably wanted to "finish the year" and not leave early. "Working" May 1 might have some financial implications for Wellman and his pension.

Along those lines, I wonder if there is a clause in Danny's contract that impacts the buyout if the soup du jour is chicken tortilla. It's not likely, but could be possible. Why not ask for it?
It is quite a delicious soup...

Who wants to chip in for Ron's retirement gift? I'm getting this for days when he rides his motorcycle and its cold:

rw6vco.jpg

One has to wonder whether Wake quietly retained Currie (who currently lives in Charlotte) as a "consultant" a couple of months ago to start vetting possible men's basketball coaching candidates on the QT so that he could surreptitiously perform the majority of the significant background work on them behind the scenes prior to his hiring as Wellman's replacement ever went public. This would allow him to hit the ground running to make a serious run on his best candidates once he officially became a Wake employee yesterday.

I also agree with the "Wellman fires, Currie hires" approach. Allows Wellman to openly acknowledge his poor choice without Currie's involvement, while simultaneously freeing Currie to completely focus on attracting/signing a quality replacement for DM.

One has to wonder whether Wake quietly retained Currie (who currently lives in Charlotte) as a "consultant" a couple of months ago to start vetting possible men's basketball coaching candidates on the QT so that he could surreptitiously perform the majority of the significant background work on them behind the scenes prior to his hiring as Wellman's replacement ever went public. This would allow him to hit the ground running to make a serious run on his best candidates once he officially became a Wake employee yesterday.

I also agree with the "Wellman fires, Currie hires" approach. Allows Wellman to openly acknowledge his poor choice without Currie's involvement, while simultaneously freeing Currie to completely focus on attracting/signing a quality replacement for DM.

Will be interesting to see who Currie chooses.

Back