• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman still in charge

Everything I've read is that Wellman will retire as athletics director on May 1st. It may be nothing, it just seems odd that his last day on the job would be the first day of the month and not the last. I'm basically just trying to rationalize a transition period that extends beyond the time when a new coaching hire would be feasible, because I can't imagine that Currie wouldn't be involved, if not directly responsible, for the hire.

At some places, if you are employed on the first, you maintain your benefits until the end of that month. Even if you are not employed.

^^^^^

The pension stuff can get tricky I reckon. For instance, my official start date with my company was in March, but my earliest retirement date for full benes is Jan. 1

Of course Ron is well past the age of 59 1/2 or such a threshold age, but does anyone know what his official start date was at Wake? Was he a spring hire with an official start date in late April / early May? Maybe his contract stipulates he must work a full 27th year?

One has to wonder whether Wake quietly retained Currie (who currently lives in Charlotte) as a "consultant" a couple of months ago to start vetting possible men's basketball coaching candidates on the QT so that he could surreptitiously perform the majority of the significant background work on them behind the scenes prior to his hiring as Wellman's replacement ever went public. This would allow him to hit the ground running to make a serious run on his best candidates once he officially became a Wake employee yesterday.

I also agree with the "Wellman fires, Currie hires" approach. Allows Wellman to openly acknowledge his poor choice without Currie's involvement, while simultaneously freeing Currie to completely focus on attracting/signing a quality replacement for DM.

This approach seems somewhat pointless to me. Everyone knows DMan is a dead man walking. What difference does it make if Wellman fires him or Currie? His record and overall performance in year 5 are unacceptable. That being said, if letting Wellman fire him does actually free Currie up more to focus on hiring the replacement, this approach does make sense.

This approach seems somewhat pointless to me. Everyone knows DMan is a dead man walking. What difference does it make if Wellman fires him or Currie? His record and overall performance in year 5 are unacceptable. That being said, if letting Wellman fire him does actually free Currie up more to focus on hiring the replacement, this approach does make sense.

Considering the constant claim here that Wellman's attitude is arrogant and without concern for the fans, a sensible approach just will not do. Thus I am saying the entire recent activity was solely because he decided to retire and wants to leave with praise while letting others handle the sticky Manning story. (Consider what would Manning or Currie do if Wake were to win 2 tournament games.) So Wellman will be allowed to remain "in charge" for what appears to be an odd time, while predicting Manning's eventual success - with Currie being handed any outcome. No doubt this will infuriate the fans, but he wont be part of that further. Supposedly he never had regard for the fans anyway. Why would Currie get himself into another firing scenario? He is mesmerized by Wake and Manning and the pay aint bad.

Considering the constant claim here that Wellman's attitude is arrogant and without concern for the fans, a sensible approach just will not do. Thus I am saying the entire recent activity was solely because he decided to retire and wants to leave with praise while letting others handle the sticky Manning story. (Consider what would Manning or Currie do if Wake were to win 2 tournament games.) So Wellman will be allowed to remain "in charge" for what appears to be an odd time, while predicting Manning's eventual success - with Currie being handed any outcome. No doubt this will infuriate the fans, but he wont be part of that further. Supposedly he never had regard for the fans anyway. Why would Currie get himself into another firing scenario? He is mesmerized by Wake and Manning and the pay aint bad.

Regarding the delay to May 1, This ensures that Manning will not be fired by Currie. If he were to be fired, it makes more sense to fire promptly but if not fired, a delay to May 1 is probably waiting too late by Currie. And it gives Currie an excuse not to fire this year..

Quit sweating the small stuff. Relax and enjoy the show. Most everything has been decided. All the details considered and resolved. Wake might even have a coach in waiting. If so it's on the QT. The show began a while back and the public will see the finish. Ron Wellman will retire in the best possible light, befitting his 27 years of service. John Currie will begin his time as AD by heralding in the new Men's basketball coach and a legitimate New Beginning. Enjoy, it's what we have all been waiting to see.

Back