• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Currie on the DG Show at like 1:35

Can't believe Tennessee fired Currie and managed to lose Leach in the process. Morans.

Re Welllman's comments about making decisions:

"I think it is pretty clear, Ron has been pretty deliberate.... fact that Wake has only done this 5 times in history... Ron has only worked for 2 presidents in 26 years... now the longest tenured AD...I have full confidence in Ron to make the right decisions. . . and I'm sure he'll ask my opinion at some point... and we will operate just fine."

"I think it is pretty clear, Ron has been pretty deliberate.... fact that Wake has only done this 5 times in history... Ron has only worked for 2 presidents in 26 years... now the longest tenured AD...I have full confidence in Ron to make the right decisions. . . and i'm sure he'll ask my opinion at some point... and we will operate just find."

Is it OK if I go to lunch now?

Overall impression is that he was saving face for wellman but he is very much in the loop.

"I think it is pretty clear, Ron has been pretty deliberate.... fact that Wake has only done this 5 times in history... Ron has only worked for 2 presidents in 26 years... now the longest tenured AD...I have full confidence in Ron to make the right decisions. . . and I'm sure he'll ask my opinion at some point... and we will operate just fine."

Certainly squares with Ron's claim to still be in charge and he will make all major decisions.

He then went on to talk about meeting individually head coaches. I got the impression Currie’s opinion matters more than is being stated and anything else is Wellman saving face.

You guys can't be this stupid. The Wake way is speaking positively and not embarrassing people. It was the way Grobe, Bzz, Wellman were handled and will be the way Manning is handled. It's the professional and courteous way to do it.

Of course Currie is going to be heavily involved in naming the new coach. Wellman is not dumb and neither are the rest of the higher ups at Wake, Currie and AD included.

You guys can't be this stupid. The Wake way is speaking positively and not embarrassing people. It was the way Grobe, Bzz, Wellman were handled and will be the way Manning is handled. It's the professional and courteous way to do it.

Of course Currie is going to be heavily involved in naming the new coach. Wellman is not dumb and neither are the rest of the higher ups at Wake, Currie and AD included.

This is true. His brilliance has been on display the last decade. To go along with his expertise he's repeatedly made sure that we fans, are idiots and clueless through his various comments and actions over the years.

One of my underrated Emperor quotes when asked during the redacted era about fan attendance at the Joel in November/December: "Well if you look historically, we've never had great crowds in November and December."

Gives Currie some cover also as well, Ron didn’t fire him so I will next year if that is what shakes out. Personally, I will be shocked if he is not gone by March 18

Hopefully RW will be deciding to defer to Currie.

Last edited:

This is by far the most likely and logical way to look at it and I wholeheartedly agree. I also think the jadedness runs deep here at the moment.

Ron Wellman is being given a gracious exit, fitting for the longest serving athletics director in college sports at the moment. No need to extract a pound of flesh as he leaves. The important point is that as of May 2019, Ron Wellman will be the retired AD from Wake.

Ron Wellman is being given a gracious exit, fitting for the longest serving athletics director in college sports at the moment. No need to extract a pound of flesh as he leaves. The important point is that as of May 2019, Ron Wellman will be the retired AD from Wake.

Just as important is that Manning is gone with him.

I see no reason why Currie would accept this job knowing the Manning decision would be made by Wellman as he walks out the door. Manning's replacement process will very much be driven by Currie, but Wellman will still be the one in front of the cameras while it plays out.

I see no reason why Currie would accept this job knowing the Manning decision would be made by Wellman as he walks out the door. Manning's replacement process will very much be driven by Currie, but Wellman will still be the one in front of the cameras while it plays out.

As long as Currie is the one talking to prospective coaches, Wellman can talk to all the cameras he wants to.

Not to be that guy, but Currie didn't exactly have a ton of bargaining power here. There weren't other power conference schools knocking down his door to give him $500k+ to be the AD.

Back