• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC upgrades Bowl Tie-ins

That's surprising given how down most of the rest of the conference was last year outside of Clemson.

Outback just looks like a replacement for the current arrangement with Citrus/Capital One, so slight downgrade there. Throwing it back to when that was an ACC bowl tie-in 25ish years ago.

Holiday appears to just be additive though, and is not a provisional tie-in, rather a full tie-in. San Diego for a bowl game would be flippin' sweet

Last edited:
Also kinda feel like it might be easier to get Big Ten teams to travel to Charlotte than SEC fans. It's a weather upgrade for them -- and hell they all come down to the Carolina beaches in the summer anyway -- and I bet they'll be less snobby about traveling to that game than SEC fans have been

Differences I see:

*Citrus Bowl provisional tie-in swapped with Outback
*Holiday Bowl added (vs. Pac-12)
*Music City/Gator 50-50 split with Big Ten abandoned. Gator will always have an ACC team, Music City never will
*Opponent will be from Big Ten half the time in Belk Bowl

Man, I loved the Music City Bowl.

Overall positive, but Nashville around NYE was a good bowl game destination

Going to San Diego for the Holiday Bowl is awesome. Going to Qualcomm sucks. If they could figure out a way to play at Petco, that would be pretty cool.

Outback just looks like a replacement for the current arrangement with Citrus/Capital One, so slight downgrade there. Throwing it back to when that was an ACC bowl tie-in 25ish years ago.

Holiday appears to just be additive though, and is not a provisional tie-in, rather a full tie-in. San Diego for a bowl game would be flippin' sweet

I don't see the Outback as a downgrade. It is equal if not better than the Citrus. Adding the Holiday Bowl is a good move but I hate losing the Music City Bowl.

Don't like playing a Big Ten team in the Belk.

The Citrus gets the first pick of SEC teams after the NY6, that's why I'd say it's better. But maybe that'll change under the new tie-ins, dunno

The Citrus gets the first pick of SEC teams after the NY6, that's why I'd say it's better. But maybe that'll change under the new tie-ins, dunno

The only ACC team to play in the Citrus Bowl under the old arrangement was Louisville in 2016. Hopefully more ACC teams will get in the Outback Bowl.

Yeah, it won't even come into play that often, only when the Orange isn't a semi and picks a Big Ten team.

Though technically ND made it in 2018 as part of the ACC bowl process

Last edited:
I don't see the Outback as a downgrade. It is equal if not better than the Citrus. Adding the Holiday Bowl is a good move but I hate losing the Music City Bowl.

Don't like playing a Big Ten team in the Belk.

I don’t see how the Holiday Bowl is an upgrade over the Music City Bowl for the ACC. It’s going to be tough to get a large contingent of fans willing to fork out unreasonably high airfare to fly across the country for a middle of the road bowl two or three days after Christmas.

It seems like the Holiday Bowl is just an addition and the ACC didn't lose anything, we'll see when everything comes out but that's what the report indicates.

The ACC and Big Ten split the Music City and Gator bowls with each conference getting a participant in one of the two each year, but moving forward the Big Ten will be in Nash and the ACC will be in Jville every year. Does seem like we got the worse part of that trade, and I'm sure our friends at that bowl will never select us unless forced

Back