• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drawing Up Plays?

99% of coaches would have called a TO. Manning didn’t know we had one (maybe 2) left. Brown had the hot hand and he can get his own shot by shooting over someone or driving. BC should have been in the right corner spotting up in case Brown got double teamed on a drive. It was a horrible play. Took 4 seconds to get it to BC and he had to throw it up with Barrett in his face. Microcosm of Manning’s late game coaching over 5 years. Putrid.

But not huddle with a white board and instructions on whom to watch, remember to rebound, etc.

nah
look. if youins are saying manning couldn't think anything up to beat K there, i agree. but for any competent coach - you call timeout

99% of coaches would have called a TO. Manning didn’t know we had one (maybe 2) left. Brown had the hot hand and he can get his own shot by shooting over someone or driving. BC should have been in the right corner spotting up in case Brown got double teamed on a drive. It was a horrible play. Took 4 seconds to get it to BC and he had to throw it up with Barrett in his face. Microcosm of Manning’s late game coaching over 5 years. Putrid.

this

I heard Bauman (the former manager at Tulsa who keeps stats) told Manning that we had no timeouts left. Timeouts aren’t shown on the Cameron scoreboard. Manning didn’t ask the refs. Clusterfuck by the staff other than Chill, who was telling Bozo to call a timeout.

Maybe, I'm watching the wrong basketball games, but through my unscientific eyes, teams are much more likely to get a makeable shot out of a late game scramble situation than a set play. The most recent example being Miami's disasterous possession after a TO (BTW, WF took the timeout to set its defense and shut Miami down) when WF took a late lead last Tuesday.

Duke was out of timeouts. If not, Duke would've called one to set its defense before WF inbounded the ball with 8 seconds left. As it worked out, WF got a better shot, Chaundee's chipee on the left low block, than any play that could've been drawn up during a TO (FWIW, Brown would've scored easily had Hoard not bumped Brown as the ball was being rebounded). Seems like basketball fans get a warped sense of how teams typically score in game ending situation based on Hoosiers and the picket fence play.

There is a reason that UVA leads the nation in defense every year. It's really hard to get a good shot against a set defense. Not as hard when teams are scrambling.

There are so many reasonable things to criticize the current coaching staff about, but think that WF did about as good as it could've considering WF was down 3 with 13 seconds left. Got a quick score on a quick 2 which BC took right to the hoop (and almost got a foul call). Forced a very lucky turnover, and then got two shots to win in the final 3 seconds. Hard to do better than that.

That seems a very fair analysis to me. We don't have a James Johnson or Jeff Teague on the floor at the end of this game. Over the last several minutes of the game we had several chances near the rim or in the lane by Smart, Hoard and others and ALL were blocked or missed. We weren't getting those foul calls. Maybe a play drawn up for Chaundee Brown would have been an option. That wouldn't have been the only time in the game a play WAS drawn up for him. But with only a few seconds left Duke would have been looking for both Chaundee and Brandon. They got Brandon, and defended enough for him to miss. The plays that lost the game were the earlier misses near the rim and the missed free throws. We kept the game in reach and just didn't make enough of the makeable plays.

Back