• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drawing Up Plays?

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Do we even do this or have we ever done this under Danny? It looks like we just pass the ball around and look for an open shot. A screen or two are radomly set and maybe a guy gets free but its rare. When is the last time we ran a back screen for an alley oop?

Last night was another prime example of where we had the ball under the basket and somehow a 3 was chucked up as time was running out. No way does UNC, Duke, UVA, or even FSU not run a set play there.

The lack of actual fundamental coaching is such a killer and so frustrating.

Yeah, it was so mindboggling last night to watch us chuck up a highly contested 3 when we had the ball under the basket. On top of that, we even had a time out remaining that we failed to use.

Yeah, it was so mindboggling last night to watch us chuck up a highly contested 3 when we had the ball under the basket. On top of that, we even had a time out remaining that we failed to use.

WHY DO YOU LIE!!!??

Rjk says there were no more timeouts

Maybe, I'm watching the wrong basketball games, but through my unscientific eyes, teams are much more likely to get a makeable shot out of a late game scramble situation than a set play. The most recent example being Miami's disasterous possession after a TO (BTW, WF took the timeout to set its defense and shut Miami down) when WF took a late lead last Tuesday.

Duke was out of timeouts. If not, Duke would've called one to set its defense before WF inbounded the ball with 8 seconds left. As it worked out, WF got a better shot, Chaundee's chipee on the left low block, than any play that could've been drawn up during a TO (FWIW, Brown would've scored easily had Hoard not bumped Brown as the ball was being rebounded). Seems like basketball fans get a warped sense of how teams typically score in game ending situation based on Hoosiers and the picket fence play.

There is a reason that UVA leads the nation in defense every year. It's really hard to get a good shot against a set defense. Not as hard when teams are scrambling.

There are so many reasonable things to criticize the current coaching staff about, but think that WF did about as good as it could've considering WF was down 3 with 13 seconds left. Got a quick score on a quick 2 which BC took right to the hoop (and almost got a foul call). Forced a very lucky turnover, and then got two shots to win in the final 3 seconds. Hard to do better than that.

Last edited:
Manning definitely does some drawing but typically more of the doodling type....

What is sad, is that we did run a "play". It was a terribly designed play given that we didn't need a three, especially.

The inbound to Okeke - with Chaundee flashing to the top of the key to receive the pass from Okeke, while Brandon uses Okeke as a screen to get the ball from Chaundee.
Good job so far; we've gotten the ball to BC at the top of the key. I have no clue what the plan was from there: apparently, a contested running three with everyone crashing the boards was the idea.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1103116785014853633

What is sad, is that we did run a "play". It was a terribly designed play given that we didn't need a three, especially.

The inbound to Okeke - with Chaundee flashing to the top of the key to receive the pass from Okeke, while Brandon uses Okeke as a screen to get the ball from Chaundee.
Good job so far; we've gotten the ball to BC at the top of the key. I have no clue what the plan was from there: apparently, a contested running three with everyone crashing the boards was the idea.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1103116785014853633

Sleepy is spot on. To even begin to indicate that a fading 3 by a short guard with a tall big man covering him when we had a full 7 seconds to play with to start the play is not worthy of criticism is beyond mindboggling. 100+ coaches would draw a better play that would have at least given you options other than BC dribbling around the top of the 3 to heave one. The ONLY reason we got a 2nd shot is because the first one was SOOOOO AWFUL that it was essentially a airball/barely skim the rim ball that didn't bounce off like a normal missed shot would so that it deflected into Chaundee's hands.

Also interesting to see Chill indicate a TO to DM after Duke was called for the violation, but clearly that didn't happen as DM had something up his sleave to surprise all. Just horribly managed and only reason we got a chance is because Duke didn't have a TO to set up after Chill's layup to cut it to 1 to avoid the inbound violation.

Maybe, I'm watching the wrong basketball games, but through my unscientific eyes, teams are much more likely to get a makeable shot out of a late game scramble situation than a set play. The most recent example being Miami's disasterous possession after a TO (BTW, WF took the timeout to set its defense and shut Miami down) when WF took a late lead last Tuesday.

Duke was out of timeouts. If not, Duke would've called one to set its defense before WF inbounded the ball with 8 seconds left. As it worked out, WF got a better shot, Chaundee's chipee on the left low block, than any play that could've been drawn up during a TO (FWIW, Brown would've scored easily had Hoard not bumped Brown as the ball was being rebounded). Seems like basketball fans get a warped sense of how teams typically score in game ending situation based on Hoosiers and the picket fence play.

There is a reason that UVA leads the nation in defense every year. It's really hard to get a good shot against a set defense. Not as hard when teams are scrambling.

There are so many reasonable things to criticize the current coaching staff about, but think that WF did about as good as it could've considering WF was down 3 with 13 seconds left. Got a quick score on a quick 2 which BC took right to the hoop (and almost got a foul call). Forced a very lucky turnover, and then got two shots to win in the final 3 seconds. Hard to do better than that.

Hoard bumping into Chaundee was just nuts. What the hell was that?

Sleepy is spot on. To even begin to indicate that a fading 3 by a short guard with a tall big man covering him when we had a full 7 seconds to play with to start the play is not worthy of criticism is beyond mindboggling. 100+ coaches would draw a better play that would have at least given you options other than BC dribbling around the top of the 3 to heave one. The ONLY reason we got a 2nd shot is because the first one was SOOOOO AWFUL that it was essentially a airball/barely skim the rim ball that didn't bounce off like a normal missed shot would so that it deflected into Chaundee's hands.

Also interesting to see Chill indicate a TO to DM after Duke was called for the violation, but clearly that didn't happen as DM had something up his sleave to surprise all. Just horribly managed and only reason we got a chance is because Duke didn't have a TO to set up after Chill's layup to cut it to 1 to avoid the inbound violation.

As others have pointed out, DM made the smart play given the circumstances. DM knew Coach K is better at Xs and Os than he is, so why call a TO to let Coach K to set his D? It's not like DM is known for drawing up great plays out of TOs. He's no Dino.

Regardless, with Chaundee going off at the end, it's mind-boggling that we didn't put the ball in his hands intentionally. Unless that was BC was doing his best impression of my rec league shot/pass.

I thought it was a good play designed to get Childress an open 3 or a drive. He chose poorly. Should have gone to the basket

Not taking a T with an experienced PG, who will get you into the right play is preferable IMO to a timeout and letting the D setup. Problem was, everybody in the gym knew Childress was going to take the shot. He is trying to hard to be his dad, when he should have been trying to setup Hoard or Brown.

My favorite example of drawing up a play was the timeout before MJ hit the Craig Ehlo shot. There was a mic in the Bulls' huddle. Doug Collins started drawing up a playing on his whiteboard. He stopped. Threw the board on the floor and yelled at his team (on national TV), "Give the ball to Michael and get the fuck out of the way."

Tommy Heinsohn was doing color for the game and said something like, "That sums it up" and started laughing.

Surprisingly, the network stopped putting live mics in huddles for a few years after that.

Who's got the picture of Dino with the tic-tac-toe whiteboard ?

Still partial to Randolph in ACC Tourney down to Duke by 18; "Just give me the damn ball and get out of the way".

BC at dook Tuesday night down by 1: "Just give me the damn ball and hit the boards hard to rebound my fade away 3 pointer". :(

CP3 did get caught saying in the UNC triple OT game, "He can't guard me."

Back