• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

THE HOME RUN HIRE POLL

Who is a home run hire

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gregg Marshall has only twice been a top 4 seed in the tournament. His teams several times have been criminally underseeded relative to their performance ratings -- including 2016 when Wichita had to play three games in 84 hours in two different locations, and 2017 when he had to face Kentucky in the Second Round in a matchup of top 10 Kenpom teams.

It's a lot easier to achieve a top 4 seeding at an ACC school than in the Missouri Valley Conference (aware Wichita isn't in it anymore, but that's where the majority of his time in Wichita has been), and with better seeding (and better recruits) comes a lot better chance to make it deep in the dance.

If we get Marshall, we will be a top 4 ACC team regularly. I have no doubt

Last edited:
Gregg Marshall has only twice been a top 4 seed in the tournament. His teams several times have been criminally underseeded relative to their performance ratings -- including 2016 when Wichita had to play three games in 84 hours in two different locations, and 2017 when he had to face Kentucky in the Second Round in a matchup of top 10 Kenpom teams.

It's a lot easier to achieve a top 4 seeding at an ACC school than in the Missouri Valley Conference (aware Wichita isn't in it anymore, but that's where the majority of his time in Wichita has been), and with better seeding (and better recruits) comes a lot better chance to make it deep in the dance.

If we get Marshall, we will be a top 4 ACC team regularly. I have no doubt

Fair enough. But if we are going to hire a guy currently in sixth place in his conference, Marshall doesn’t make my top 3.

Guess unsurprising you'd give undue weight to a one season anomaly

Guess unsurprising you'd give undue weight to a one season anomaly

It was a joke, but it’s also unsurprising that you think not ignoring inconvenient facts is giving them “undue weight.”

Hiring a mid-major lifer who has passed up several great opportunities to jump to the big leagues concerns me. It’s hard for me to call that a home-run can’t-miss hire unless the guy has a spotless record and has broken through repeatedly in March (like Few). Marshall doesn’t quite meet that standard and his performance since upgrading conferences (slightly) is worth noting. I’d still love to have him but that wasn’t the poll question.

Fair enough. But if we are going to hire a guy currently in sixth place in his conference, Marshall doesn’t make my top 3.

I'm confused by this statement...it reads like you have two other candidates who are in 6th place in their league you'd hire instead. OK, who are they?

It was a joke, but it’s also unsurprising that you think not ignoring inconvenient facts is giving them “undue weight.”

I'm not ignoring it at all. I just think one down year amongst 22 isn't enough to downgrade the guy

Three other candidates.

Big 12, Big Ten, and West Coast.

Again, it’s a joke.

OK, gotcha. I still think Marshall would be a home run and would put us in our rightful place in this league.

I think our "rightful" place is there at #5-7. Before I get bashed, I don't mean finishing in that place in the league, I mean as a "program". From there we could make runs at the title and in off years still get into the NCAAs. There are 4 blue bloods in our league and among the rest I feel like there are three programs that should be competing for that #5 slot as a "program". UVA has been great, but that feels like a Bennett thing. If he stays and continues to elevate them, so be it. It's still not a blue blood program, but with him they're the #5 "program". If he's gone, I slip us right in there with them and maybe State. After that, we stand out beyond the rest. That is what the next hire needs to see. And I'm convinced that Matta or Marshall can absolutely get us there. I think Smart could, but with a couple more reservations. When we get past that, I'm much more in the Oats camp for potential than an established coach who traditionally wins say 20 games or so. That kind of hire, like McCaffery or someone like that, seems to me to be earmarked for 7th - 10th place every year and a #10-12 seed. Much better than we've been recently, but I think we have the potential with this hire to be on the #3-6 line in the NCAAs consistently. I don't need much convincing at all that Marshall could absolutely do that.

OK, gotcha. I still think Marshall would be a home run and would put us in our rightful place in this league.

I think our "rightful" place is there at #5-7. Before I get bashed, I don't mean finishing in that place in the league, I mean as a "program". From there we could make runs at the title and in off years still get into the NCAAs. There are 4 blue bloods in our league and among the rest I feel like there are three programs that should be competing for that #5 slot as a "program". UVA has been great, but that feels like a Bennett thing. If he stays and continues to elevate them, so be it. It's still not a blue blood program, but with him they're the #5 "program". If he's gone, I slip us right in there with them and maybe State. After that, we stand out beyond the rest. That is what the next hire needs to see. And I'm convinced that Matta or Marshall can absolutely get us there. I think Smart could, but with a couple more reservations. When we get past that, I'm much more in the Oats camp for potential than an established coach who traditionally wins say 20 games or so. That kind of hire, like McCaffery or someone like that, seems to me to be earmarked for 7th - 10th place every year and a #10-12 seed. Much better than we've been recently, but I think we have the potential with this hire to be on the #3-6 line in the NCAAs consistently. I don't need much convincing at all that Marshall could absolutely do that.

Fuck that.

Who's the fourth blue blood 9394? Duke, UNC, Louisville ... Syracuse? Don't think I'd give them that status.

They've only once earned a double bye in the conference tourney (first year) so kinda hard to see them as a for-sure #4

Last edited:
Who's the fourth blue blood 9394? Duke, UNC, Louisville ... Syracuse? Don't think I'd give them that status.

They've only once earned a double bye in the conference tourney (first year) so kinda hard to see them as a for-sure #4

At this point he probably is referring to UVA

He seems to be pointing out why UVA isn't a blue blood right after he says there are four, that's why I figured it wasn't them

imo, Syracue definitely a Blue Blood. But if you are hesitant on that status, it is still historically the 4th best program, no doubt.

Their whole history is tied to Boeheim (his predecessor left Syracuse for TULANE) -- will be fascinating to see what happens when he leaves

The part I bolded.

Wake’s rightful place is with one foot on Duke’s throat and the other on UNC’s.

Sure, I'd love that. My point was a tad more sophisticated than that deep analysis. Becoming a "blue blood" program takes decades. So my point is simply that as a "program" we should be the best of the rest. And that status puts us in a position, like in the 90's and early 2000's, to compete with those big guys. That's reasonable. Your response is akin to a group folks on here who actually think someone like Brad Stevens is coming to Wake...FYI, he ain't. And FYI, no matter who we hire it'll take more than one hire to have a better program than Duke. That's kind of obvious...so I thought.

Their whole history is tied to Boeheim (his predecessor left Syracuse for TULANE) -- will be fascinating to see what happens when he leaves

Granted....but he's been there for 44 years. Still, if you are not comfortable with Blue Blood status, I get it. But then who is the 4th best program? I don't mean now with what UVA is doing...I mean who is #4? State? Syracuse is the obvious one.

Back