• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

THE HOME RUN HIRE POLL

Who is a home run hire

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't really disagree too much with the analysis, but #5-7 in the ACC is still a realllllly good gig. You're almost always looking at a top 6 seed in the dance if you finish in that range

This seems like a decent time for Gregg Marshall to consider making a move. This season is his worst team in many years, and the two leading scorers are seniors. His recruiting class is ok, comparable to Wake's at this point.

I've always loved how his teams play - pretty much the complete opposite of what we've seen the past five years. If Wake landed him and everyone returned next season I think Wake would be a top 25 team.

Maybe Currie and Marshall crossed paths in Kansas and hopefully Marshall would be willing to listen.

Don't really disagree too much with the analysis, but #5-7 in the ACC is still a realllllly good gig. You're almost always looking at a top 6 seed in the dance if you finish in that range

That's my point. It's a great gig.

It would be hard to argue that we are a top 4 ACC job. Obviously, Duke and UNC are 1 and 2, and likely Louisville is 3. In terms of historical success, Syracuse is 4. I understand they're success is tied to Boeheim, but one could argue the same thing for Duke and K (I guess they did have 4 final fours before K, but no titles). Only really UNC and State have had success with multiple coaches. State has 2 titles, but I'd never call them a blue blood. I think we're certainly a better program than VTech, FSU (although we haven't been for a decade), Pitt, BC. UVA is largely tied to Bennett, and we'll see if he's able to get them over the hump and product strong NBA players/reach a final four or even an elite 8.

Sure, I'd love that. My point was a tad more sophisticated than that deep analysis. Becoming a "blue blood" program takes decades. So my point is simply that as a "program" we should be the best of the rest. And that status puts us in a position, like in the 90's and early 2000's, to compete with those big guys. That's reasonable. Your response is akin to a group folks on here who actually think someone like Brad Stevens is coming to Wake...FYI, he ain't. And FYI, no matter who we hire it'll take more than one hire to have a better program than Duke. That's kind of obvious...so I thought.

If you want to talk about the steps to becoming a blue blood program, and how many coaches you think it will take us to get there, I’m all about having that conversation (being the #5-7 program isn’t the first step btw). “Rightful place” sounds like an end destination though, so that’s what I took umbrage with.

If you want to talk about the steps to becoming a blue blood program, and how many coaches you think it will take us to get there, I’m all about having that conversation (being the #5-7 program isn’t the first step btw). “Rightful place” sounds like an end destination though, so that’s what I took umbrage with.

If over the next 25 years we end up as the 5th best program in the ACC, sign me up. I'd love to crack the blue blood ranks, it just ain't likely to happen. Florida isn't a blue blood and never will be Kentucky. But that's OK, they won multiple national championships. When you're in a league with 3 or 4 blue bloods ahead of you, settling in as the 5th best program is awesome...and a reasonable goal for us. UVA is in that situation and I'd love to be doing what they're doing.

Your boy DManning had us AHEAD OF SCHEDULE to get there too!!!!

On a journey of a thousand miles, taking ten steps in the time allotted for five does technically put you ahead of schedule.

It seems you’ve missed the boat on Manning, but maybe you’ll go on record with your expectations for our next coach.

If over the next 25 years we end up as the 5th best program in the ACC, sign me up. I'd love to crack the blue blood ranks, it just ain't likely to happen. Florida isn't a blue blood and never will be Kentucky. But that's OK, they won multiple national championships. When you're in a league with 3 or 4 blue bloods ahead of you, settling in as the 5th best program is awesome...and a reasonable goal for us. UVA is in that situation and I'd love to be doing what they're doing.

Yeah so I’ll stick with my initial assessment. Fuck that. I really hope Currie doesn’t share that mindset.

It seems you’ve missed the boat on Manning, but maybe you’ll go on record with your expectations for our next coach.

Says the guy who lost the bet and thus has to leave the boards. You must have a split persona or something, and neither half knows what the other has posted.

Says the guy who lost the bet and thus has to leave the boards. You must have a split persona or something, and neither half knows what the other has posted.

His argument has been consistent. He has the highest of high standards for Wake Forest. Higher than anyone else here. Which is why he argued that we needed to give Manning more time. It makes complete sense to the bipolar amongst us.

Yeah so I’ll stick with my initial assessment. Fuck that. I really hope Currie doesn’t share that mindset.

Curious what you think about the job Clawson is doing? I mean, fuck that...three straight bowl games are great, but until we compete with Clemson...fuck that.

His argument has been consistent. He has the highest of high standards for Wake Forest. Higher than anyone else here. Which is why he argued that we needed to give Manning more time. It makes complete sense to the bipolar amongst us.

You keep saying this. I never have.

And even if I did, the two aren’t inconsistent. I do have higher standards here than most, apparently (can’t say if I have higher standards than you because you either don’t have any or refuse to tell anyone what they are). #5-7 in the ACC isn’t good enough. I’m also not going to pitch a fit if we aren’t #1-4, or even #5-7, within three years. As 93-94 points out, it’s a decade or longer process.

Curious what you think about the job Clawson is doing? I mean, fuck that...three straight bowl games are great, but until we compete with Clemson...fuck that.

If this is Clawson’s peak (I don’t think it is) then at some point we should move on. Football is different, but the same principles apply. Clawson needs to establish Wake as the clear best program in North Carolina and be ready to take advantage if Clemson has a down year or falls off in the future.

You keep saying this. I never have.
From the end of year 4 poll thread.

55QiJKW.png

There are always worse coaches available too. Like it or not Manning seems about average with high variability due to an overdependence on talent. I doubt he’s the guy that will bring a Natty to Wake but that doesn’t mean he should be fired. I don’t think there are nearly as many above average coaches available to Wake out there and certainly very few capable of getting us to where we ultimately want to go.

Oops.

You specifically said he shouldn’t be fired.

It’s almost like I didn’t think our AD at the time could find anyone better. Maybe I should have posted that another hundred times to make sure everyone saw it. My mistake.

That's because you were fundamentally wrong about how bad he was. You saw Y3 as a trajectory year, and Y4 as an outlier year when it was clearly the opposite.

You specifically said he shouldn’t be fired.

And . . .?

When you fire one coach I was under the impression that you typically hire another one. I didn’t want Wellman to hire another coach, therefore I didn’t want Manning to be fired. It’s pretty simple logic.

Back