• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

THE HOME RUN HIRE POLL

Who is a home run hire

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That seems to be a bit of a stretch. I think we'd all be happy with an occasional win over Clemson. But we're NEVER going to be on their level for any length of time. Even with Clawson. We might as well just put that thought out of our heads...life's too short for such unrealistic expectations. We don't have to be "LOWF" but we can be freakin' reasonable.

I agree with that. I’m taking about basketball.

Clawson’s done a great job getting us to an intermediate step and keeping us there. There are another couple of steps the program can feasibly take and it remains to be seen whether Clawson is up to the task. I suspect he is.

But basketball’s ceiling as a program is always going to be higher than football’s. I think both Odom and Skip had us about two steps from that ceiling. Odom almost took one of those steps with Childress and Duncan (the next step being perennial postseason success to go along with ACC success and perennial top 20 performances) and Skip probably would have with Teague/Johnson/AFA. The question with Skip was whether he could be the guy to take the final step to blue blood status. I want an AD and a coach that believe that final step is possible and will put in the work to make it a reality.

Perhaps so, but you keep doubling down on a lot of pointless debate, but then again, you already thumbed your nose at ITC reversing course on letting you "welch" on your bet. As if that was really such an honorable hill to die on. I do believe it's much more than that which caused us to arrive here, at the crossroads of your message board life.

I love how upset some of y’all are that I won’t welch on a bet. I can’t tell if it’s projection or if y’all will actually miss me. Where I’m from, a bet is a bet. Don’t know what else to say.

You're not in the field of Economics are you? These are hindsight scenarios that we didn't have the luxury of considering. We can only consider what we have at the time. And you kept choosing Manning, even though nothing about his coaching fit into the formula of criterion you kept trying to calculate.

Also, in scenario A, without knowing the actual God's honest truth about Manning's buyout, it's hard to really say one way or another. In a normal situation, both Bzdoofus and Manning probably would never have been hired to begin with. So I will agree with you that Wellman has been as much a problem as Manning. But does scenario also include proof that Dino slept with co-eds or banged somebody he shouldn't have? We could play that sort of game all day, but what's the point?

WTF are you even talking about?

I love how upset some of y’all are that I won’t welch on a bet. I can’t tell if it’s projection or if y’all will actually miss me. Where I’m from, a bet is a bet. Don’t know what else to say.

No, I'm not upset. I just think it was a ridiculous bet to begin with and ITS A FREAKIN' MSG BOARD!! Who cares what some of these maroons think?

There haven't been any rules here since Turftoe was ousted as arbiter of justice on Scout.

But basketball’s ceiling as a program is always going to be higher than football’s.

Then I misunderstood, I was wrong. And yes, I would agree. However, I think the ceiling is different since expansion. But no reason we can't be perennially in the top third most of the time, as in 2 or 3 out of every 4 seasons.

No, I'm not upset. I just think it was a ridiculous bet to begin with and ITS A FREAKIN' MSG BOARD!! Who cares what some of these maroons think?

There haven't been any rules here since Turftoe was ousted as arbiter of justice on Scout.

For a stupid bet that you aren’t a part of and doesn’t upset you, you sure seem to post a lot about it.

WTF are you even talking about?

Like you haven't read all of the ridiculous rumors on this forum. That wasn't the point.

The point is you try to evaluate everything under the sun with logical analysis, but your main thesis is, "well, as long as Wellman is around, it's illogical to do anything."

So why bother to argue anything else? Especially when you are too stubborn to admit that Manning has NEVER demonstrated any tangible, or intangible, evidence, of being a good coach at WF. You're the one who put all your eggs in one basket when 90% of this board cautioned you that there would be defections galore. Which is the best evidence we had at the time of WHY Manning wasn't worth defending to begin with. And if you downplay the importance of say, IDK, Dave Odom's coaching in the 90's, and want to give all the credit to Chilldress and Duncan, then it smacks of being disingenuous to downplay just how GOOD Collins was, and what it meant for the team's prospects. Yet, you certainly want to heap extra credit on Manning for swooping in when Billy Donovan wouldn't.

For a stupid bet that you aren’t a part of and doesn’t upset you, you sure seem to post a lot about it.

See, this is why people don't care for you. The degree to which someone really gives a fuck doesn't have anything to do with the amount someone posts on a message board. There are many reasons to post on a msg board, like rubbing salt in someone's wounds when you're bored on a Friday morning.

Then I misunderstood, I was wrong. And yes, I would agree. However, I think the ceiling is different since expansion. But no reason we can't be perennially in the top third most of the time, as in 2 or 3 out of every 4 seasons.

I get that, but the only expansion team that changes the calculus on a long term basis is maybe Louisville. And I think the age limit shifting back to 18 will provide an opportunity for someone to break up the Duke/UNC dominance of the league on a long term basis

Like you haven't read all of the ridiculous rumors on this forum. That wasn't the point.

The point is you try to evaluate everything under the sun with logical analysis, but your main thesis is, "well, as long as Wellman is around, it's illogical to do anything."

So why bother to argue anything else? Especially when you are too stubborn to admit that Manning has NEVER demonstrated any tangible, or intangible, evidence, of being a good coach at WF. You're the one who put all your eggs in one basket when 90% of this board cautioned you that there would be defections galore. Which is the best evidence we had at the time of WHY Manning wasn't worth defending to begin with. And if you downplay the importance of say, IDK, Dave Odom's coaching in the 90's, and want to give all the credit to Chilldress and Duncan, then it smacks of being disingenuous to downplay just how GOOD Collins was, and what it meant for the team's prospects. Yet, you certainly want to heap extra credit on Manning for swooping in when Billy Donovan wouldn't.

Yeah I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I know you’ve read most of my posts, but it sure doesn’t seem like it based on that rambling nonsense. I’ll be charitable and just assume you got an early start to happy hour today. Enjoy.

Yeah I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I know you’ve read most of my posts, but it sure doesn’t seem like it based on that rambling nonsense. I’ll be charitable and just assume you got an early start to happy hour today. Enjoy.

Clear as mud to me. That's your problem. You have too many arguments to keep up with apparently.

And yes, because I've got a break in the action at work means I'm drinking at my desk. You really ARE an asshole.

Clear as mud to me. That's your problem. You have too many arguments to keep up with apparently.

And yes, because I've got a break in the action at work means I'm drinking at my desk. You really ARE an asshole.

I keep track of them just fine. None of what you posted has ever been an argument of mine. Nothing wrong with enjoying an adult beverage in the morning. If you want to join in on the actual argument be my guest. If you want to keep posting nonsense that’s fine too. As you say, there are no rules on this message board.

Clawson’s done a great job getting us to an intermediate step and keeping us there. There are another couple of steps the program can feasibly take and it remains to be seen whether Clawson is up to the task. I suspect he is.

But basketball’s ceiling as a program is always going to be higher than football’s. I think both Odom and Skip had us about two steps from that ceiling. Odom almost took one of those steps with Childress and Duncan (the next step being perennial postseason success to go along with ACC success and perennial top 20 performances) and Skip probably would have with Teague/Johnson/AFA. The question with Skip was whether he could be the guy to take the final step to blue blood status. I want an AD and a coach that believe that final step is possible and will put in the work to make it a reality.

My thoughts, but said much better than my retired ass could.

Taking out the pipedream candidates, this board would want Currie's first 3 calls to be:
1. Thad (currently available)
2. Shaka (if made available by Texas; seemingly possible)
3. Cronin (currently making $1.8 million base with incentives up to $2.2 million at UC)

Taking out the pipedream candidates, this board would want Currie's first 3 calls to be:
1. Thad (currently available)
2. Shaka (if made available by Texas; seemingly possible)
3. Cronin (currently making $1.8 million base with incentives up to $2.2 million at UC)

Not exactly. This poll didn't include Oats or other mid-major guys. Matta should definitely be the first call. I'm souring on Smart. What makes any one think it'll be better here for him than Texas? Makes no sense. I'd rather Oats than Smart and Cronin.

Not exactly. This poll didn't include Oats or other mid-major guys. Matta should definitely be the first call. I'm souring on Smart. What makes any one think it'll be better here for him than Texas? Makes no sense. I'd rather Oats than Smart and Cronin.

Oats won the mid-major poll. If Currie goes that route it was clear Oats and Musselman were the top 2 options. Musselman probably ends up in the Western half of the US. Rhoades was up there, and I like him, but wonder how many ADs are willing to touch VCU assistants right now given what Will Wade is going through. FWIW I don't think Rhoades is like Wade, but knowing how much Wake Forest values bullshit optics who knows. Hopefully it never has to get to that point and Currie can land a popular coach like Thad or Nate Oats.

Agree. Oats is my top choice. Matta 2.

Back