• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Lectro Busy Biting His MyPillow !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miso will just make people think of tasty brothy soup. I could def go for some miso soup right about now.

-phobia = fear
miso- = hatred

e.g. misoislamist seems like the solution for Islam

the real question is does this hypothetical person hate or fear?

Homophobia just seems like the wrong word. People are scared of snakes, not gay people.

I don't know. Maybe homosexuals like the word "homophobia" because it conveys that the person has a mental disorder caused by fear rather than just recognizing that they're surrounded by hateful people.

Homophobia just seems like the wrong word. People are scared of snakes, not gay people.

I don't know. Maybe homosexuals like the word "homophobia" because it conveys that the person has a mental disorder caused by fear rather than just recognizing that they're surrounded by hateful people.

Hmm. Interesting. People can certainly fear both snakes and Muslims in a similar manner. Think of some responses from some Americans toward Muslims on airplanes post 9/11. That seems more like a fear of than hatred of.

There's a similar effect w/r/t queer bodies if you look at the discourses surrounding HB2. People were scared of gay as predator in bathrooms. That specific situation doesn't seem like a hatred, but a fear.

The process of dehumanization is probably pretty key here for both.

Hmm. Interesting. People can certainly fear both snakes and Muslims in a similar manner. Think of some responses from some Americans toward Muslims on airplanes post 9/11. That seems more like a fear of than hatred of.

There's a similar effect w/r/t queer bodies if you look at the discourses surrounding HB2. People were scared of gay as predator in bathrooms. That specific situation doesn't seem like a hatred, but a fear.

The process of dehumanization is probably pretty key here for both.

Yeah, and people could reasonably fear the actions of some radicalized Muslims. Islamaphobia is more related to the thought thathe world could be consumed by Islam, which is kind of the goal of lots of religions. It also probably conveys a sense of weakness in your opinion of your own religion were it to go head to head with Islam.

I don't think otherwise reasonable people who have been labeled homophobes are actually worried about being attacked in a bathroom or anywhere else by a homosexual, they just hate gay people. And the HB2 thing really had its roots in hating trans folks rather than just gay. Gay men use the men's room.

SjlYJ4.png

TIL you can make fake tweets. Should I post this on one of the coaching threads and watch the pandemonium ensue?

I don't have a problem with gays dudes (or chicks), because I typically think they are motivated by something I understand - they just wanna fuck a dude/chick. Like, I think I understand that because I also wanna bone. I also understand what lengths I'm willing to go to for said boning.

However, Muslims (and Christians) scare me, because they are motivated by something I also understand - the belief in God. I'm scared because there's no ceiling on that - if God says that all of <other'd people> are deserving of death, then that's what it do.

I may shell out $15 dollars at Olive Garden to pick up some sweet trailer trash tail (T³), but that's the limit I'm going to go for boning. However, if Karen Smith down at Westboro Baptist, or Hakeem down at the ol' Mosque get told that God needs more souls for the holy war - well, what the hell am I going to do there? The Olive Garden gift card that my mom got me for my birthday last year won't get me out of that mess.

Let's try to stick to the exactness of the meaning and the etymology here.

she's asleep now

here she is being chill and cool

nbSRVsr.jpg

m6cqI0a.jpg

I don't think otherwise reasonable people who have been labeled homophobes are actually worried about being attacked in a bathroom or anywhere else by a homosexual, they just hate gay people. And the HB2 thing really had its roots in hating trans folks rather than just gay. Gay men use the men's room.

right. which is why we need a term that doesn't use the -phobia suffix. some aren't afraid. some hate. yet we try to lump it all together.

on the other hand, I think there were plenty of men (and women) on the anti-trans side of HB2 who absolutely would prefer that gay men (and women) not use the same bathroom as them, either

SjlYJ4.png

TIL you can make fake tweets. Should I post this on one of the coaching threads and watch the pandemonium ensue?

What if Wellman stepped down as AD to he could be the new basketball coach all Thanos style?

Chat Thread - Wonders Contained Within

Growing up there were two kids my mom didn’t like me hanging out with and I was pissed. Within the past year they both died from drugs/suicide. Guess she was smarter than I gave her credit for.

YA BOI got his second conference presentation acceptance letter tonight

gonna let these old fogies know how exploitative NBA2K is

YA BOI got his second conference presentation acceptance letter tonight

gonna let these old fogies know how exploitative NBA2K is

and they say sociology is mesearch...

...sounds interesting, kory - what's your angle/abstract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back