• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Board did a good job at identifying candidates.... for other Power V programs.

FWIW, interesting that Matta has not been identified in connection with any openings.

Meh - Oats will kill it in Tuscaloosa but it's not like we would win a straight up battle head-to-head against Alabama even if we had an opening.

Now if Oats took the Vandy job it would have been a kick to the nuts...

Ok to say fuck you ron in this thread too? With this news feel like saying fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck you

Let's see how it plays out over the next 4 years. I wish him well but don't see a lot of success in his future there.

I agree. They've gotten plenty of coaches who have had success elsewhere before coming to Alabama, but no one has had sustained success there. I thought he'd get a better job than Bama.

Meh - Oats will kill it in Tuscaloosa but it's not like we would win a straight up battle head-to-head against Alabama even if we had an opening.

Now if Oats took the Vandy job it would have been a kick to the nuts...

If the money was similar, getting a crack at the ACC I could see being the tipping point. Also hard to call Wake a bball school, but technically it is and obviously Bama is never not going to be a football school.

I agree. They've gotten plenty of coaches who have had success elsewhere before coming to Alabama, but no one has had sustained success there. I thought he'd get a better job than Bama.

Agree with this, but Bama was willing to dig deep to pay top dollar. Realize that fans look at it differently, but this is a business decision for Oats and his agent. Curious to find out the contract terms, but guessing Oats will make life-changing money, more than he could've imagined that he would ever make. Yes, it's unlikely Oats gets to Final 4 from Bama, but he never has to worry about how much something costs for the rest of his life.

Also, Oats had to make his move this year; and other than UCLA, there is no home-run job available. Of the top 7 in his Buffalo rotation, 5 were seniors. Think he would always have some success, but if Buffalo is the 4th best team in the MAC next year, someone else would surpass him as the hot mid-major candidate.

Last edited:
I think Billy Donavon at Florida shows that any big-time football SEC school can be great in basketball with the right coach, regardless of basketball history

Agree with this, but Bama was willing to dig deep to pay top dollar. Realize that fans look at it differently, but this is a business decision for Oats and his agent. Curious to find out the contract terms, but guessing Oats will make life-changing money, more than he could've imagined that he would ever make. Yes, it's unlikely Oats gets to Final 4 from Bama, but he never has to worry about how much something costs for the rest of his life.

I guess. Make some serious change for a few years and then go rebuild your career somewhere else after that. But Bama, Georgia, USC and Penn St are big football powers that have never had sustained success in hoops.

Duke has contacted PG Kira Lewis, one of the transferring crimson tide players. Former 4 star. 2nd youngest player in division 1 this year. All SEC freshman. Averaged 13 points 3 assists this year. Would have to sit out a year

I think Billy Donavon at Florida shows that any big-time football SEC school can be great in basketball with the right coach, regardless of basketball history

True, but Florida produces an s-load more of high-end hoop talent than Bama. Hard for a Bama basketball coach to win recruiting battles with a Florida coach (or a UNC Coach or a Duke Coach or a KY Coach) for Florida basketball players. A Bama coach can win those battles for in-state talent, but that state does not regularly turn out lottery talent.

True, but Florida produces an s-load more of high-end hoop talent than Bama. Hard for a Bama basketball coach to win recruiting battles with a Florida coach (or a UNC Coach or a Duke Coach or a KY Coach) for Florida basketball players. A Bama coach can win those battles for in-state talent, but that state does not regularly turn out lottery talent.

perhaps, but no reason Oats can't get Atlanta talent, Louisiana talent, etc.

I don't think it's hopeless at all

Donovan brought in lots of out-of-state guys: Noah, Horford, Brewer, Beal. Only one starter on the two championship teams was from Florida.

Last edited:
Back