• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Meh - Oats will kill it in Tuscaloosa but it's not like we would win a straight up battle head-to-head against Alabama even if we had an opening.

Now if Oats took the Vandy job it would have been a kick to the nuts...

This is true. Folks are always like, “we’ll be the best opening available,” but it’s pretty obvious that the rest of the college basketball world doesn’t see it that way.

I guess. Make some serious change for a few years and then go rebuild your career somewhere else after that. But Bama, Georgia, USC and Penn St are big football powers that have never had sustained success in hoops.

Not sure wha your criteria are, but if you've got Alabama on your list, I'd add Auburn and Clemson.

This is true. Folks are always like, “we’ll be the best opening available,” but it’s pretty obvious that the rest of the college basketball world doesn’t see it that way.

We didn’t even have an opening.

I think we would be competitive with Alabama if we did. That job is basically the Clemson job.

Last edited:

All this.

Not sure wha your criteria are, but if you've got Alabama on your list, I'd add Auburn and Clemson.

I'll somewhat accept your friendly amendment, especially with Clemson, though Auburn, like Tennessee and LSU, have better hoops periods throughout their histories than the 4 I listed. Penn St is just plain in a basketball desert. But Bama, UGa and USC are teams that seem like they could be good, hire decent mid-major coaches, but they never seem to make it over the top. And I think Bama is in the worst position of the 3 because they're in a state that doesn't produce much hoops talent, like Pilch said, and has to recruit against Auburn, who is often better. Georgia actually produces a good amount of hoops talent, but it always seems to go out of state - and UVA has mined some of that. I have no idea why USC can never be good.

Alabama just fired a better Coach than Wake Forest currently has. Must be nice having a program committed to winning.

I’m rooting for Alabama next year. It will be fun to watch their program under Oats.

This is why whatever RChill was arguing was dumb as shit.
It’s really not that hard to make a good hire

Board did a good job at identifying candidates.... for other Power V programs.

FWIW, interesting that Matta has not been identified in connection with any openings.

We sure did. Prohm got a big extension, Oats to Alabama, TJ to UNLV, Turner would've got Berkley if he didn't YAS QUEEN a Freshman in the tournament. We can do Wellman's, Hatch's, and the BOT's jobs better than they can, yet somehow they make millions? BTW Manning's buyout was 8 figures, confirmed, and it was approved by Hatch and the BOT, all because of a first four appearance.

Board did a good job at identifying candidates.... for other Power V programs.

FWIW, interesting that Matta has not been identified in connection with any openings.

We sure did. Prohm got a big extension, Oats to Alabama, TJ to UNLV, Turner would've got Berkley if he didn't YAS QUEEN a Freshman in the tournament. We can do Wellman's, Hatch's, and the BOT's jobs better than they can, yet somehow they make millions? BTW Manning's buyout was 8 figures, confirmed, and it was approved by Hatch and the BOT, all because of a first four appearance.

And Wake folks can have groundhog day. Do it all over again starting about Groundhog Day, 2020. ID those mid-major coaches who are killing it and ready for promotion.

Both teams have two NCAAT appearances since 2011. Clemson has five since 2008 and Alabama still has two since 2007. Then they had Gottfried who was pretty good in the early 2000's.

Over the last 10-12 years PH is right, they're basically equivalent.

Clemson has a Sweet 16 last year and Gottfried had an Elite 8 in 2004.

Update:

St. Joe's is hiring Sixers assistant (and former Nova assistant) Billy Lange.

John Beilen's son Patrick (he has had a successful run in D2 with Lemoyne) is taking the Niagara job. Elon was interested, but was jilted again.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Mike Young at Wofford?

He's 55 and has never played or coached at a P6 school. Also, the SoCon is a low major conference and too big of a jump to the ACC without a successful stop elsewhere, which is my opinion of Wes Miller as well.

Back