• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Thoughts on Mike Young at Wofford?
He's been there for 30 years, 17 as a head coach, and while he's had auto-bid tourney teams in the past, this is the first real breakthrough, legitimately good team he's coached. Seems like a solid, not great, coach experiencing a bit of a flukish season. Probably ready for a jump up to a mid major, but after 30 years at Wofford, doubt he's interested. After having recruited to Wofford for 30 years, he'd be absolutely lost at the P6 level.

Last edited:
Apparently Mike Jones (Radford coach) turned down an offer from App State and signed an extension at Radford.

Seems smart to me - no idea why he'd bolt from a top 150 KP team right now to a team who is historically hot garbage.

App State should offer Moton.

Thoughts on Mike Young at Wofford?

On the short list for VT if Buzz leaves. I that happens, Buzz will be the first head MBB coach to leave Tech for a different coaching position since Don Devoe in the mid-70s. Since then they've had 2 retirements and 5 firings. Their lack of a basketball tradition is somewhat written in those facts.

Apparently Mike Jones (Radford coach) turned down an offer from App State and signed an extension at Radford.

Seems smart to me - no idea why he'd bolt from a top 150 KP team right now to a team who is historically hot garbage.

App State should offer Moton.

WHO?

I'm not ruling out the idea that Manning gets canned in early May after Currie gets that amount of time to raise money for the buyout. Mike Young would be a solid, reasonably priced, hire.

I'm gonna laugh if VPI has Wes Miller on a short list after Buzz goes to TAMU (which I'd be shocked if he doesn't).

On the short list for VT if Buzz leaves. I that happens, Buzz will be the first head MBB coach to leave Tech for a different coaching position since Don Devoe in the mid-70s. Since then they've had 2 retirements and 5 firings. Their lack of a basketball tradition is somewhat written in those facts.

Uhhh, can you compare that to Wake Forest coaching history ?

If this happens thats a win for the rest of the ACC. Really hope that is how it goes down. Buzz getting out of dodge back to Texas helps everyone else in the ACC.

I'm not ruling out the idea that Manning gets canned in early May after Currie gets that amount of time to raise money for the buyout. Mike Young would be a solid, reasonably priced, hire.

Would you have said the same thing last season when his team was ranked 163? I think you're WAY overrating 1 season out of 17 in your assessment of Young. It's not like he's moving up the college ladder and quickly turning bad teams into good with a high potential ceiling. It has taken him 17 years to produce his first really good team. If he were a great coach, he would have been hired away to a next level job 10-12 years ago.

Last edited:

That would be an all-time horrible hire at any price. And I'm not sure why you think Mike Young would work for less than the market rate for the Wake Forest job.

I'm gonna laugh if VPI has Wes Miller on a short list after Buzz goes to TAMU (which I'd be shocked if he doesn't).

I don't get why everyone thinks it's a given he will leave. I don't think Texas A&M is really any better of a job than VPI is. I know he has personal ties to the state of Texas (but not particularly strong ones to Texas A&M or College Station), but VPI has a better practice facility and a better game-day atmosphere.

It's hard to imagine TAMU will be willing to pay him that much more than VPI would be. He's already making $3M, and I am sure VPI can bump him quite a bit.

That would be an awful decision.

That would be an awful decision.

And people think Ron Wellman is a bad AD. Think if we had JGDeac ! Maybe we could sell Clawson to a school and get the football coach from Wofford at a discount !

I don't get why everyone thinks it's a given he will leave. I don't think Texas A&M is really any better of a job than VPI is. I know he has personal ties to the state of Texas (but not particularly strong ones to Texas A&M or College Station), but VPI has a better practice facility and a better game-day atmosphere.

It's hard to imagine TAMU will be willing to pay him that much more than VPI would be. He's already making $3M, and I am sure VPI can bump him quite a bit.

Texas A&M is in an another world from VT in athletic department revenue and profit.

In 2017, Texas A&M generated $211 million in AD revenue and had an operating profit of more than $65 million. It has only grown since then: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2018/01/29/texas-am-operating-revenue/1077373001/

VT is doing fine, but is in an different stratosphere. In 2018, VT had an AD revenue of $98 million, and a operating profit of $4.8 million: https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/virginia-tech-s-annual-financial-report-shows-athletic-department-surplus/article_27c251f4-1b6f-11e9-a2ea-0377ccf6f0a3.html

Not sure if you have ever been around them, but A&M alums are passionate to the point of being insane about their school. They have more money than they can spend. VT does not live in that world. That's how A&M offered ridiculous money to Jimbo, and they can do the same for Buzz (and apparently plan to do so).

Last edited:
Mike Young strikes me as someone Wellman would identify and hire.

Mike Young is older and relatively unsuccessful as compared to other top candidates, which makes him Wellman's type of hire. Bob Richey, Wes and Forbes are all better SOCON coaching candidates.

TAMU is going to pay him a shit ton of money that's why.

Texas A&M is in an another world from VT in athletic department revenue and profit.

In 2017, Texas A&M generated $211 million in AD revenue and had an operating profit of more than $65 million. It has only grown since then: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2018/01/29/texas-am-operating-revenue/1077373001/

VT is doing fine, but is in an different stratosphere. In 2018, VT had an AD revenue of $98 million, and a operating profit of $4.8 million: https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/virginia-tech-s-annual-financial-report-shows-athletic-department-surplus/article_27c251f4-1b6f-11e9-a2ea-0377ccf6f0a3.html

Not sure if you have ever been around them, but A&M alums are passionate to the point of being insane about their school. They have more money than they can spend. VT does not live in that world. That's how A&M offered ridiculous money to Jimbo, and they can do the same for Buzz (and apparently plan to do so).

I have been around them. I have three alums in my immediate family and have been to games at Reed. They are passionate about their school and their school's football program. They don't care about basketball. It's all well and good to spout of revenue figures, but those speak to ability of the program to pay a coach, not their willingness. Two of their last three basketball coaches have been hired away by other programs. I don't believe they are going to make a "top-of-the-market" offer to Buzz like they did to Jimbo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine them topping $5M, which at least feels within reach of VT. Maybe it isn't, IDK.

Also, the Texas A&M revenue figures are significantly distorted by pledges for the $500M Kyle Field renovation. As the article notes, before these contributions kicked in, the school had never hit $120M in total revenue.

And people think Ron Wellman is a bad AD. Think if we had JGDeac ! Maybe we could sell Clawson to a school and get the football coach from Wofford at a discount !

Ha, relax. I only bring it up because I heard we have contacted him about the job and there have been discussions. I don't know if this all happened pre or post Currie hire and whether or not it is ongoing.

Uhhh, can you compare that to Wake Forest coaching history ?

Since mid-70s, Tacy retired, Staak fired, Odom left for USC, Prosser died, Dino fired, Redacted fired. So, 3 firings, 1 death, 1 retirement and 1 move to another school. Compared to VT, not bad. VT had 2 coaches (Hussey and Johnson) who only made it 2 years each.

Back