• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Why would Wake reach out to any coach? They are very happy with their coach.

Since mid-70s, Tacy retired, Staak fired, Odom left for USC, Prosser died, Dino fired, Redacted fired. So, 3 firings, 1 death, 1 retirement and 1 move to another school. Compared to VT, not bad. VT had 2 coaches (Hussey and Johnson) who only made it 2 years each.

And to be accurate, when GDO moved on to SC, WF was giving him a nudge.

Realize App State has had little hoop success, but a strange hire.

Dustin Kerns has coached for two years at Presby. He went 11-21 in year 1 and the Blue Hose improved to 20-16 (9-7) finishing in the middle of the pack (5th in the Big South). Kerns had been an assistant at Wofford, Santa Clara and Tennessee before getting the head Presby gig. Kerns went to Clemson and was a basketball team manager when Larry Shyatt was the coach.

Realize App State has had little hoop success, but a strange hire.

Dustin Kerns has coached for two years at Presby. He went 11-21 in year 1 and the Blue Hose improved to 20-16 (9-7) finishing in the middle of the pack (5th in the Big South). Kerns had been an assistant at Wofford, Santa Clara and Tennessee before getting the head Presby gig. Kerns went to Clemson and was a basketball team manager when Larry Shyatt was the coach.

Yeah, but he worked under Mike Young.

Geez. That’s peanuts.

Especially compared to the numbers that were getting thrown around when the job first came open. They must have missed on a lot of targets.

I don’t think they were ever going to be able to spend much more than that. Even at that number, he’s the highest paid coach in the conference.

I would think UCF is a better gig than Vandy right now. I'd hold here and wait for Duke to decide what they are gonna do post K.

Johnny is getting old. By the time K retires, he'll be in his late 50s. I think Wojo is destined to succeed K as long as he continues to do well at Marquette.

Jeff Goodman is reporting that Cal is negotiating a deal with former GA coach Mark Fox. Curious move if accurate. Fox coached UGA for 9 years. Made two NCAA tournaments. Never won a NCAA tourney game. In his 9 years in Athens, UGA had a single season with a rating better than #60. Seems like there would better candidates for that job. Money may be an issue for Cal.

Johnny is getting old. By the time K retires, he'll be in his late 50s. I think Wojo is destined to succeed K as long as he continues to do well at Marquette.

Wojo's Marquette teams have been mostly okay. How many ncaa tournament games has he won? One? Two? If Duke is insistent on a K disciple getting the job, I would put Wojo behind Collins, Capel, Dawkins and Amaker.

Last edited:
Wojo's Marquette teams have been mostly okay. How many ncaa tournament games has he won? One? Two? If Duke is insistent on a K disciple getting the job, I would put Wojo behind Collins, Dawkins and Amaker.

Wojo seems like an average coach to me. Both Crean and Buzz did more with the Marquette program. When I watch Marquette under Wojo, they play crappy D (just compare Marquette's defensive effort against Murray State to FSU's) and go 1 on 1 on offense. K can get away with that because he has multiple high lottery picks every season (K also didn't coach that way before he sold his soul to turn Duke into Kentucky East). Wojo gets exposed against similarly talented, but better coached teams.

Would love to see Wojo replace K. Don't think it would go well. From my distant perspective, would be surprised if K selected Wojo to replace him.

Last edited:
Back