• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Yeah, I just can't imagine a program of Duke's status is gonna settle for a donk like Wojo. I 100% expect them to get someone like Beard, and it's going to be 100% awful.

Jeff Goodman is reporting that Cal is negotiating a deal with former GA coach Mark Fox. Curious move if accurate. Fox coached UGA for 9 years. Made two NCAA tournaments. Never won a NCAA tourney game. In his 9 years in Athens, UGA had a single season with a rating better than #60. Seems like there would better candidates for that job. Money may be an issue for Cal.

PAC-12 is barely a power conference at this point and the Cal job ain't that great.

PAC-12 is barely a power conference at this point and the Cal job ain't that great.

Apparently so. Have heard that the revenue that the Pac-12 receives from its media deals is far below the SEC, Big 10, ACC and Big 12. It appears that is having a lasting impact in football and basketball competitiveness.

Yep. And the best team on the west coast over the past decade-plus isn't even in the PAC-12.

Apparently so. Have heard that the revenue that the Pac-12 receives from its media deals is far below the SEC, Big 10, ACC and Big 12. It appears that is having a lasting impact in football and basketball competitiveness.

Not in the Pac-12, but to the point of football media deals, Cronin at UC was apparently presented with an extension offer after last season that was a functional pay cut.

If Cal asked OR and WASH to join it the it is IMMEDICATELY either the #4 or #5 country in the world in GDP (it's VERY close with Germany). Cal would be close to being energy and food self-sufficient and would be exporters of fruits, veggies and more. Cal would have much of the world's top technology since it is home to founders from the GREATEST generation who created amost of what yyou MILLENNIALS uses. iPods, PCs, surround sound and microwave popcorn.

What's even more fun to think about is how much higher the taxes in the other 47 states would have to be to cover the LOSER states of the ACC and SEC that Cal has been paying for.

Wojo's Marquette teams have been mostly okay. How many ncaa tournament games has he won? One? Two? If Duke is insistent on a K disciple getting the job, I would put Wojo behind Collins, Capel, Dawkins and Amaker.

Zero in five seasons.

Lost in the first round as a 10-seed in 2017 and as a 5-seed this year.

If UCF is on the market, I think that would be an attractive job for a lot of up-and-comers. Great location and I assume they've got some cash with that massive student enrollment.

The American is a mix of retreads like Dawkins, Gregory, and Haith, a few up and comers, and two pro alums in Penny and McKie. Hard to say UCF or any other AAC job is a good stepping stone.

The American is a mix of retreads like Dawkins, Gregory, and Haith, a few up and comers, and two pro alums in Penny and McKie. Hard to say UCF or any other AAC job is a good stepping stone.

I think it is actually a pretty impressive list of coaches, given that it is not exactly a power conference.

I think it is actually a pretty impressive list of coaches, given that it is not exactly a power conference.

Yeah. It's a way station for coaches who had limited success in the bigs. But you can't imagine many of those coaches becoming a consistent winner at a P6 school either because they're alums and probably won't want to leave, they're old and not likely to get a P6 job if they want one, and most importantly, if you can win at UConn, Cincy, and some of the others, you don't need to leave to be a Final Four contender.

For those reasons, it's not really a league where P6 teams are going to get a coach except maybe the second tier programs.

Yeah. It's a way station for coaches who had limited success in the bigs. But you can't imagine many of those coaches becoming a consistent winner at a P6 school either because they're alums and probably won't want to leave, they're old and not likely to get a P6 job if they want one, and most importantly, if you can win at UConn, Cincy, and some of the others, you don't need to leave to be a Final Four contender.

For those reasons, it's not really a league where P6 teams are going to get a coach except maybe the second tier programs.

Fair.

On the flip side, if a young guy went in there and did well against the vets, I would view that as a positive. But yeah, I get the retread point.

Hoiberg to Nebraska. 7 years, $25M.

In terms of overall status of the program, how many P6 CBB programs have we fallen behind in Hatch and Wellman's tenure? The list is quite long

Almost all of them.

Also, "football school" seems to be a dying concept. Schools that are raking in money for football are just using that to pay bball coaches handsomely

Back