• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Also, "football school" seems to be a dying concept. Schools that are raking in money for football are just using that to pay bball coaches handsomely

Of course we will be raking in football money and using it to pay a buyout.

If my calculator is correct, that's $3.57M per. Not bad at a football school.

However, in recent years Nebraska has not been a football school.
At least according to their standards.

In terms of overall status of the program, how many P6 CBB programs have we fallen behind in Hatch and Wellman's tenure? The list is quite long

Probably easy to do programs that we are still ahead of. Off the top of my head I've got: Boston College, Washington State, Rutgers, and Oregon State.

This is if we're talking about recent performance as well as school location, name intrigue, etc. I'm not certain we're ahead of anybody else overall.

Vanderbilt.

Also Cal. Cuonzo Martin had a little succss there and left to go to Missouri.

Things can change so quickly. Check out the records and ratings for this program:

- 2011 13-19 (5-11) #121
- 2012 8-23 (1-17) #235
- 2013 11-20 (3-15) #239
- 2014 14-18 (6-12) #80
- 2015 13-19 (3-15) #155

5 years. Collective record 59-99 (18-70). Zero post-season bids. Average ranking of #141. Clearly, the worst program in its conference, and among the worst of any Power V program..

Who is it? Texas Tech. Within 4 years of being in the abyss, they have reached two Elite 8s and Final 4, and are two games from a Natty. Any program can turn around quickly with the right leadership.

Yeah with the right coach that’s definitely possible.

Beard has vaulted to a top ten coach basically out of nowhere.

Things can change so quickly. Check out the records and ratings for this program:

- 2011 13-19 (5-11) #121
- 2012 8-23 (1-17) #235
- 2013 11-20 (3-15) #239
- 2014 14-18 (6-12) #80
- 2015 13-19 (3-15) #155

5 years. Collective record 59-99 (18-70). Zero post-season bids. Average ranking of #141. Clearly, the worst program in its conference, and among the worst of any Power V program..

Who is it? Texas Tech. Within 4 years of being in the abyss, they have reached two Elite 8s and Final 4, and are two games from a Natty. Any program can turn around quickly with the right leadership.

Arkansas Little Rock is hilarious too, though just one season. They went 220, 219, 235 with the previous coach before Beard gets the job. Beard gets them to 56 and an upset win as a 12 seed. Then he leaves and they go 245, 296, 222.

This year's NCAAT is a pretty great example of the significant impact a good coach can have on a program. Bennett, Beard, Bruce Pearl, Buzz Williams, Kelvin Sampson, Rick Barnes all totally turned those programs around, some in just a year or two. Not to mention guys like Painter, Izzo, Beilein, Leonard Hamilton who overachieved or have otherwise built consistently strong programs.

Va Tech hired Buzz Williams in 2014 and they're making NCAATs on the reg and the Sweet 16.
We hired Danny Manning in 2014 and we suck.

Hopefully Currie is paying attention.

This year's NCAAT is a pretty great example of the significant impact a good coach can have on a program. Bennett, Beard, Bruce Pearl, Buzz Williams, Kelvin Sampson, Rick Barnes all totally turned those programs around, some in just a year or two. Not to mention guys like Painter, Izzo, Beilein, Leonard Hamilton who overachieved or have otherwise built consistently strong programs.

Va Tech hired Buzz Williams in 2014 and they're making NCAATs on the reg and the Sweet 16.
We hired Danny Manning in 2014 and we suck.

Hopefully Currie is paying attention.

Yet doubtful. Current fan apathy a result of our screams being disregarded for a decade.

Texas Tech has no top 100 players on their team but in the Final Four...coaching matters. Gary Williams won a natty without a McD AA...I'd take him now.

Wake needs to get their shit together because all of college basketball is passing us by. Currie needs to convene a summit with some Wake Forest players from Odom and Skip days and allow for candid conversation...we are at a crossroads and have delayed a reboot another year.

I'm convinced Danny knows this is his last year as a college basketball coach as does the athletic leadership, BOT and fans. Our first ACC game against BC in my opinion is our most important game of the season. If next year starts like most of the last 9 years I hope Currie has the balls to pull the plug mid season or earlier.

It’s been 12 years since we’ve tried employing a coach with a winning track record. Kind of a simple step we’ve ignored.

Belmont's Rick Byrd is retiring. One of the best. Lipscomb HC Casey Alexander is the reported front-runner to replace him; Alexander went to Belmont and played for Byrd.

Back