• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Monica doesn't stand a chance against these ladies !

o.jpg

did the one girl go in for a tramp stamp tat and lie down on the wrong side ?

Ohio fires Saul Phillips.

No impact on Wake, of course, but more proof that you can just fire a guy without waiting until after the conference tournament concludes.

Could be a landing spot for Odom.

No impact on Wake, of course, but more proof that you can just fire a guy without waiting until after the conference tournament concludes.

Nobody said it couldn't be done. Just that it was extremely unlikely that it would be done at Wake. There will be proper review and process before the decision is executed.

Just curious. What would an AD and head coach discuss in one special meeting that the AD doesn’t already know from regularly checking in with the coach, watching practices, and watching games?

Just curious. What would an AD and head coach discuss in one special meeting that the AD doesn’t already know from regularly checking in with the coach, watching practices, and watching games?

Same reason many bosses have annual review meetings with employees. I had one with my boss. Even though most of what I did left our group through her, and in many cases, she was part of creating it. It was HR policy that such reviews happen. So they did, and were documented and the results were sent to my permanent record.

If Wellman is going to negotiate a resignation, the annual review meeting is the time and place to start those discussions. Remember, Jim Grobe "retired" and Jeff [Redacted] "resigned" following similar review meetings.

Could be an extreme impact on Wake. This could be our next coach. Because as long as Wellman has a say, any coach from Ohio will make the list.

William and Mary dumped Tony Shaver. He had been the Tribe coach since 2003. One of only four original D-1 teams to have never played in the NCAA tournament. They lost in the final of the CAA Tourney 4 times while Shaver was coach including a 1 point loss in 2014.

Potential candidates are Pitt Assistant Milan Brown (had been a W&M assistant) and UVA associate head coach Jason Williford. Would expect Ryan Odom may get a look too.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/william-mary-tony-shaver-fired/

There is a carousel about 10-15 minutes from Pauley Pavillion.

Randolph Childress could be on this carousel soon. I would not expect him to be a viable candidate to be the next head coach at Wake when Danny leaves Wake. He would seem to hit a career fork.

One pathway would have him stay at Wake in the athletic department in some capacity, deputy associate athletics director of some sort. Or, possibly, as assistant to yet another Wake head coach.

Another pathway would have him go elsewhere as an assistant coach to learn some additional things. Particularly things like game clock management, substitution patterns, teaching techniques etc. What coach/school (leave aside the issue of openings) would be the best mentor for his improvement as a coach?

Randolph Childress could be on this carousel soon. I would not expect him to be a viable candidate to be the next head coach at Wake when Danny leaves Wake. He would seem to hit a career fork.

One pathway would have him stay at Wake in the athletic department in some capacity, deputy associate athletics director of some sort. Or, possibly, as assistant to yet another Wake head coach.

Another pathway would have him go elsewhere as an assistant coach to learn some additional things. Particularly things like game clock management, substitution patterns, teaching techniques etc. What coach/school (leave aside the issue of openings) would be the best mentor for his improvement as a coach?

Russell Turner was an assistant when Randolph was playing... That could work.

I'll have Dave Odom make some calls.

UVA people are concerned about Tony Bennett and LSU.

Laughed when I read this, but then remembered that anything is possible, but this would be an extremely odd coupling. That doesn't even account for the fact that the next LSU coach could spend his first year or two on probation. LSU would have to offer a Bennett contract that is beyond what any D-1 coach makes by a mile to take on that mess and a football only fan base. College baseball is far more popular in Baton Rouge than basketball. Think LSU would rather invest in another climate controlled practice field/smoothie station/putting green for the football team.

Laughed when I read this, but then remembered that anything is possible, but this would be an extremely odd coupling. That doesn't even account for the fact that the next LSU coach could spend his first year or two on probation. LSU would have to offer a Bennett contract that is beyond what any D-1 coach makes by a mile to take on that mess and a football only fan base. College baseball is far more popular in Baton Rouge than basketball. Think LSU would rather invest in another climate controlled practice field/smoothie station/putting green for the football team.

You're probably right. I'm just giving you the mindset of a few of pretty well connected UVA types. You're 100% right that LSU's standing with the NCAA would play a role, but then the same could be true of a lot of schools that will have openings.

Bennett's wife is from Baton Rouge and went to LSU. That isn't dispositive, but it would be a(nother) reason for a fresh start in a much less competitive conference.

I have no idea about the LSU side of it in terms of what they'd offer, etc. But I can tell you UVA is as or more worried about LSU than UCLA.

no more forcing assistant coaches on new head coaches

UVA people are concerned about Tony Bennett and LSU.

He is currently dominating the country's premier basketball conference. Sounds like a great opportunity to play 2nd fiddle at a football school that very likely is going to face some sort of sanctions. If he leaves UVA it will be out west (and I doubt that happens). They very well may win the whole things this year.

Back