• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

no more forcing assistant coaches on new head coaches

Instead, let's make the old assistant coaches part of the radio network covering the team.... um... never mind.

Bennett has had three chances to take the LSU job if he wanted it. He isn't going to Baton Rouge.

Maryland fans getting sick of Turgeon at all? That's the impression I get on Twitter, though I'm sure one of their lackeys that pop up here now and then will soon be by to defend his honor

Maryland fans getting sick of Turgeon at all? That's the impression I get on Twitter, though I'm sure one of their lackeys that pop up here now and then will soon be by to defend his honor

Yes, they are. If MD loses to a depleted Nebraska team in the Big 10 tourney opener, and then craps the bed in the NCAAs, the rumblings will get louder. 8 years at MD. 3 NCAA appearances. 3 NCAA games won over Valpo, S. Dakota St. and Hawaii. Just doesn't cut it, when you are replacing a coach that took the program to the Natty, two final 4s and the NCAAs almost every year.

I’m shocked, SHOCKED that Pastner would be involved in anything illicit. You could have seen this one coming from a mile away.

Story in the Roanoke Times this morning linking Buzz Williams to Martin Fox, whose name has come up in the admissions scandal. No evidence of wrong-doing yet and the AD is standing by Buzz, for now.
ETA: After reading more about Fox I don't know whether to be more concerned or less bothered by his being seated behind the VT bench last week. He certainly is a busy man but anybody that involved in the college BB scene who Sonny Vaccaro can't (maybe won't) identify what he does seems sketchy.

Last edited:
Here is the Hot Seat Report from the "Coaches Database" website.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

They identify 3 levels of hotness:

"Your Chair is On Fire" (certain to be fired)

"This Seat is Rather Warm" (These coaches need to start winning right now, but that even may not be enough).

"I've Got My Eye on You Sir" (Having a rough year, but not in total danger yet)

BC's Christian chair is on fire, while Manning's seat is just rather warm.

“The BC job has enough clout to attract a solid replacement, so it might be the right time to make a change.”

Not sure I agree with that. College sports are basically nonexistent in Boston. Their arena is very likely the worst in the conference. It’s essentially a high school gym. They have basically zero track record of success or consistently producing NBA players. Recruiting base is very limited. Hard to see much upside to the BC job.

George Washington University fired Maurice Joseph after three seasons, one day after losing in the second round of the A-10 tournament. First year was good (20-15, NIT), last two disappointing, including second worst season ever. First time below 200 (289) in Kenpom. Joseph was the assistant coach and promoted when Mike Lonergan was fired late in the summer before the 2016-17 season for alleged player abuse. He had just finished year 3 of a five year contract.

Here is a link to the Washington Post article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...h-after-three-seasons/?utm_term=.d7a80ba19780

“The BC job has enough clout to attract a solid replacement, so it might be the right time to make a change.”

Not sure I agree with that. College sports are basically nonexistent in Boston. Their arena is very likely the worst in the conference. It’s essentially a high school gym. They have basically zero track record of success or consistently producing NBA players. Recruiting base is very limited. Hard to see much upside to the BC job.

Their gym is a hockey rink....

Yet Danny still has a job...

Like it or not, Wake believes in deliberate process. Danny will get his performance reviews.

Remember, doing nothing means Danny coaches at Wake another year. Inertia is a powerful force.

Their gym is a hockey rink....

And hockey is the more popular and successful sport at BC. It's one thing for a school to have basketball the #2 priority in the athletic department behind football, but when it's #3, that really means the AD is likely to cut corners when it comes to budget and resources devoted to help the program succeed.

Back