• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I'm a Mike Anderson fan, don't think he should have gotten fired at Arkansas.

You all can shit on Mike Anderson if you want to, but St. John’s has a better coach than we do.

You all can shit on Mike Anderson if you want to, but St. John’s has a better coach than we do.

Yeah. His career record is 369–200 (.649). By comparison, Prosser was 126–68 (.649) at Wake and 291–146 (.666) overall.

Yeah. His career record is 369–200 (.649). By comparison, Prosser was 126–68 (.649) at Wake and 291–146 (.666) overall.

...and Anderson’s gotten that .649 winning record at three schools with many different recruiting classes. SJU probably isn’t going to win a Natty with Anderson, but they will be better.

...and Anderson’s gotten that .649 winning record at three schools with many different recruiting classes. SJU probably isn’t going to win a Natty with Anderson, but they will be better.

I could see him getting Wake to a double bye in the ACC tournament and maybe sweet 16 in NCAA's. That would be much appreciated after the last decade.

This is why raw numbers, without context don't mean much. Skip was a HC for fourteen years. He had two bad at Wake (that were turned around after his death). In his other twelve years as a HC, his teams came in 5th once, 3rd four times, 2nd three times and 1st four times.

Anderson league record is - 10th -once; 9th twice; 6th/7th/8th once each; 5th three times; 4th twice; 3rd once; 2nd three times and 1st once.

In his fifteen years as a HC Anderson has come in 5th or worse 9 times. Ship came in 5th or worse 3 times out of fourteen. Skip was 11/14 Top 3 vs. Anderson was 5/15.

What am I thinking? Putting numbers in context is wrong. I should know this by now.

I'm not saying Anderson is a bad coach. His record is mediocre.

This is why raw numbers, without context don't mean much. Skip was a HC for fourteen years. He had two bad at Wake (that were turned around after his death). In his other twelve years as a HC, his teams came in 5th once, 3rd four times, 2nd three times and 1st four times.

Anderson league record is - 10th -once; 9th twice; 6th/7th/8th once each; 5th three times; 4th twice; 3rd once; 2nd three times and 1st once.

In his fifteen years as a HC Anderson has come in 5th or worse 9 times. Ship came in 5th or worse 3 times out of fourteen. Skip was 11/14 Top 3 vs. Anderson was 5/15.

What am I thinking? Putting numbers in context is wrong. I should know this by now.

I'm not saying Anderson is a bad coach. His record is mediocre.

You should also add the context that Anderson took over a disaster at Missouri and Skip took over a team with Songaila and Howard. But, I wasn’t comparing him to Skip, just saying he’s had descent success at different schools with different players. SJU has a better coach than we do.

Wake is better with Manning than UVA is with Bennett going forward, though...

Just yanking your chain, RJ!

Goodman's takes on the coaching carousel: https://watchstadium.com/news/breaking-down-college-basketball-coaching-hires-best-worst-hire-biggest-surprise-04-19-2019/

Best hire: Buzz Williams TX A&M
Worst hire: Mike Anderson St. John's
Best outside the box hire: Nate Oats Alabama (not sure why this is outside the box; just a good hire)
"Coolest" hire: Mike Young VT (because it looked like he was going to be mid-major lifer)

-----
Available and waiting:

1. Pitino
2. Matta (Waiting for the perfect job "probably means something in the Midwest")
3. JT III
4. Bryce Drew (took Vandy to the NCAA in year #1; recruited an NBA lottery pick to Vandy)
5. Andy Kennedy

53 openings. Only 8 filled by African-American candidates. Hmmmm....

This is not exactly a coaching search article but it eloquently sets out why the VT job is not for everyone. Ms. Giovanni is a great promoter of VT and its version of Maya Angelou. I wish she'd mentioned that Buzz is not going to find a doughnut better than Carol Lee's in College Station. A similar article can be written for LOWF and the Dash.

https://www.roanoke.com/opinion/com...cle_9ccda332-5ade-5d9f-b62e-9fbddb7e6a21.html

You won't find heaven on Earth, but the Roanoke Kroegers are about as close as one gets

Any chance Billy Donovan is going to be available soon?

Back