• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

No surprise, but:

Texas A&M officially fired Billy Kennedy. Buzz Williams the favorite to take that job.

UNLV fired Marvin Menzies. Haven’t seen commentary on who they’ll hire, but I imagine the 3 most likely options are Cronin, Matta, or Pitino.

Wat the UNLV guy 'fired' or did they 'part ways'. Interesting ESPN ticker.

Pitino would be a GREAT choice for UNLV, sleaze meeting sleaze

Ohio hired Jeff Boals as its next coach. Boals had head coached Stony Brook over the last 3 years (same conference as Ryan Odom) . Stony Brook finished 24-8 (12-4) this year just ahead of UMBC in the regular season America East standings. Boals is from Ohio, and worked as an assistant under Thad Matta from 2009-16. This is the type of move that would be the logical next step for Ryan Odom.

I would assume Odom was a candidate.

come on man...we can certainly argue that our coaching staff is not Power-5 capable but this is pretty harsh. Rasheed Wallace just got the head coaching job at Durham Jordan for god's sake.

I don’t understand what Childress has ever done as a coach to warrant any level of respect in that arena. “He’s a GREAT recruiter!!!” Oh is he? Other than John Collins, name one home run recruit our program has had since Childress joined the staff. “The players LOVE him!!!!” That’s cool, it’s not hard to get 18-22 yr olds to like you when you owned the ACC and probably can still keep up with them on the court. Do we just pretend that he doesn’t sit on the bench with his chin in his hand making a face like a grumpy three year old all game, every game? The proof is in the pudding my friend, and the pudding tastes like dogshit. A taste that this fan base has grown far too familiar with, and will take many, many years to wash out. I would take Rasheed Wallace in a heartbeat over Randolph if I’m a HS AD right now. Give me a huge question mark with a clean slate over a known loser with the stank of a decade of awful basketball on him.

I don’t understand what Childress has ever done as a coach to warrant any level of respect in that arena. “He’s a GREAT recruiter!!!” Oh is he? Other than John Collins, name one home run recruit our program has had since Childress joined the staff. “The players LOVE him!!!!” That’s cool, it’s not hard to get 18-22 yr olds to like you when you owned the ACC and probably can still keep up with them on the court. Do we just pretend that he doesn’t sit on the bench with his chin in his hand making a face like a grumpy three year old all game, every game? The proof is in the pudding my friend, and the pudding tastes like dogshit. A taste that this fan base has grown far too familiar with, and will take many, many years to wash out. I would take Rasheed Wallace in a heartbeat over Randolph if I’m a HS AD right now. Give me a huge question mark with a clean slate over a known loser with the stank of a decade of awful basketball on him.

I actually agree that there is no evidence that Randolph is an effective assistant coach at the ACC level. My point is that there is no need to shit all over a Wake Forest legend and yet you have managed to double down on being a complete asshole, while lauding one of the biggest douchebag tar heels of all time (and there are many) in Rasheed Wallace. Congrats.

Nebraska is the front-runner to hire Fred Hoiberg per Goodman. I would have loved him.

I actually agree that there is no evidence that Randolph is an effective assistant coach at the ACC level. My point is that there is no need to shit all over a Wake Forest legend and yet you have managed to double down on being a complete asshole, while lauding one of the biggest douchebag tar heels of all time (and there are many) in Rasheed Wallace. Congrats.

Lol.

Goodman is saying that Odom is a candidate for the GW job along with JTIII and James Jones. I think that puts to bed the notion that Wake is the type of job for Odom.

Last edited:
Back