• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

One of Wellman's less mentioned failures was not guiding Manning to put together a power conference grade staff.
Disagree. Wellman' s failure has been his need to micromanage. Rusty, Chill, Nestor, etc. Culture war. Taking interviews for coaches.

Anyone who would let an AD micromanage their staff is a coach almost guaranteed to fail. Wellman should have hired a competent coach and gotten the hell out of the way. You can't make up for the first mistake by hiring a dud and then trying to tell them how to run their program.

I was suggesting Danny might have benefited from having an experienced former head coach on his bench from DAY ONE of his tenure at Wake. Juwan Howard apparently figured out this concept at Michigan.

Hiring Rex Walters in year sux is too little, too late.

Well done. Our new tag line: #YearSux

I swung and missed on my speculation that Oats would replace Huggins at WVU. With Huggins landing Cottrell for next year and a 5 star freshman center this year, I think Huggs will be around for another couple of years (health permitting). The name I'll throw out now as his replacement is Joe Mazzulla. He's a former star there and is stepping down as successful HC at Fairmont State to join Brad Stephens with the Celtics. Remember, you heard it here first. I'm assuming Stephens continues with the Celtics for a while. If he leaves for UNC or another blue blood and Mazzulla goes with him, that fills a gap in Mazzulla's coaching resume of no Power 5 experience.

I know those of us closely following the WVU program, which honestly, is pretty much everyone in America, appreciate your insight. You will certainly get full credit when correct. Pin this thread please, mods.

I know those of us closely following the WVU program, which honestly, is pretty much everyone in America, appreciate your insight. You will certainly get full credit when correct. Pin this thread please, mods.

Gee, I had no idea this was a Wake related thread only. Oh wait, it's not. Never mind.

I thought Balls' post was pretty funny. It's one thing to come on here and post your WVU coaching predictions (fine, okay) - it is pretty hilarious to come on here and eat crow for a post you must have made predicting the next coach 12 months ago that nobody here has any recollection of you posting for the same reason as Balls stated. No great WVU interest here. Would be different if y'all had gotten invited to the ACC instead of the Big 12 but that didn't happen.

The one thing I like about Huggie is he is one of two college coaches that looked like they spend the bulk of their career as a guard in a prison/correctional facility. The other is Jeff Rutland.

I thought Balls' post was pretty funny. It's one thing to come on here and post your WVU coaching predictions (fine, okay) - it is pretty hilarious to come on here and eat crow for a post you must have made predicting the next coach 12 months ago that nobody here has any recollection of you posting for the same reason as Balls stated. No great WVU interest here. Would be different if y'all had gotten invited to the ACC instead of the Big 12 but that didn't happen.

The one thing I like about Huggie is he is one of two college coaches that looked like they spend the bulk of their career as a guard in a prison/correctional facility. The other is Jeff Rutland.

With Frank Martin as the warden. Stallone will make a movie about trying to escape.

My prior post about Huggins was back during last season when the 'Eers were going down the terlet and speculation was out there that he would retire. It was relevant to Wake at the time as folks here were in love with the idea of Nate Oats replacing Manning. My original point was that Wake would have competition for his services and that WVU made a lot of sense as a possibility (more so than where Oats landed, IMO). For the record, I'm not a WVU fan but have numerous friends who are so what happens in Morgantown is on my radar.

My prior post about Huggins was back during last season when the 'Eers were going down the terlet and speculation was out there that he would retire. It was relevant to Wake at the time as folks here were in love with the idea of Nate Oats replacing Manning. My original point was that Wake would have competition for his services and that WVU made a lot of sense as a possibility (more so than where Oats landed, IMO). For the record, I'm not a WVU fan but have numerous friends who are so what happens in Morgantown is on my radar.

Okay. Still, I don't think most remember your post from months ago. That is why Balls' post was funny. it wasn't cutting or derogatory or belittling, just funny. I thought so anyway.

Okay. Still, I don't think most remember your post from months ago. That is why Balls' post was funny. it wasn't cutting or derogatory or belittling, just funny. I thought so anyway.

Unmemorable is what I shoot for. I'll confess - I was one of the first to mention Manning as an option to replace [redacted]. I probably need to give up this prognostication business.

Curious timing. What's the real story? His W-L record didn't get worse since March.
ETA: The AD there must be a Wellman disciple. The school's press release mentioned "culture" and "classroom."

Last edited:
Back