• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Men's BB Coach Salary?

No reason not to be open to spending 3M on a coach. Donors and the school have it. If money is what holds us back then we have no plans to be competitive anytime soon.

Will you be increasing your contribution? It's easy to write big checks with someone else's checkbook.

Now with Wellman exiting stage left, it's high time for members of this board to step up to the plate and put their money where their mouth is.

No reason not to be open to spending 3M on a coach. Donors and the school have it. If money is what holds us back then we have no plans to be competitive anytime soon.

Also, we will be getting more money next year and beyond due to the ESPN contract.

ACC Network begins in August. Rumors are that it will net each school between $5 and $10 million the first year.

Its laugh out loud funny to think that it's time for us commoners to pony up for a coach. Wake has the money, and with that TV deal there is no excuse.

And another thing, despite a couple reports from media types who say they know, sorry but I'm not buyin' that all the remaining years on Manning's contract are guaranteed bucks. That kinda stuff isn't public and strickly confidential. Nobody - including Wellman - would have done that. 1 maybe 2 years....maybe....but not for all the remaining years in the extended contract.

Will you be increasing your contribution? It's easy to write big checks with someone else's checkbook.

Now with Wellman exiting stage left, it's high time for members of this board to step up to the plate and put their money where their mouth is.

If WF needs $2million, all they need to do is admit 36 extra kids who will pay full freight during next years early decision window. Problem solved.

And another thing, despite a couple reports from media types who say they know, sorry but I'm not buyin' that all the remaining years on Manning's contract are guaranteed bucks. That kinda stuff isn't public and strickly confidential. Nobody - including Wellman - would have done that. 1 maybe 2 years....maybe....but not for all the remaining years in the extended contract.

Well the AD has had months to leak more reasonable numbers. All we have is what’s been reported.

Didn't a lot of us think that's what we did with Danny a few years ago?

Danny was never a slam dunk hire. There were many of us (me included) that thought he was a decent risk to take. The general feeling was that he would do well on the recruiting trail due to inherent advantages, and that if his coaching growth came around by 3-4 we could be in a much better position as a program. That thought process was pretty solid as the recruiting was picking up, the NCAA tournament birth came, but then Manning never improved as a coach. If he had improved even modestly we would have probably made the tournament (or at least the NIT) last year, we would have held on to most of our talent, and this year's team would have been an NCAA tournament team as well. Its a thin margin, and that is why you have to pay a coach if he is a sure thing. If not you are stuck making 1.5 million dollar bets on guys who are still very much a crapshoot.

But no, I don't think anyone (certainly not me) thought that Danny was a sure thing, more a decent bet considering the shape of our program at the time.

Danny was never a slam dunk hire. There were many of us (me included) that thought he was a decent risk to take. The general feeling was that he would do well on the recruiting trail due to inherent advantages, and that if his coaching growth came around by 3-4 we could be in a much better position as a program. That thought process was pretty solid as the recruiting was picking up, the NCAA tournament birth came, but then Manning never improved as a coach. If he had improved even modestly we would have probably made the tournament (or at least the NIT) last year, we would have held on to most of our talent, and this year's team would have been an NCAA tournament team as well. Its a thin margin, and that is why you have to pay a coach if he is a sure thing. If not you are stuck making 1.5 million dollar bets on guys who are still very much a crapshoot.

But no, I don't think anyone (certainly not me) thought that Danny was a sure thing, more a decent bet considering the shape of our program at the time.

Danny had the possibility of becoming a good to great coach. He had the cachet of "Danny and the Miracles" that got him and his staff into living rooms. His recruiting has been pretty good. However, he has not been able to translate talent acquired on the recruiting trail into a lot of wins on the court. And he has had players leave, apparently to be somewhere besides Wake. The on the court product has not been what most hoped for when he was hired. Therefore it is time to give another coach the opportunity.

Back