• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Men's BB Coach Salary?

mercurydime

Gangster of Love
Reaction score
What say the cognoscenti as to the salary range for the new coach?

Manning is reported to be making $1.7 million/...

Will extra potential revenue from the ACC network help us raise the stakes a bit?

Have to think a '"home run' hire would demand north of $2.5 million. Our hiring history says we can't/won't get the "big" hire...

The higher the potential salary the greater the potential interest in the position (outside all the other things to love about MSD)...

Eleventy billion.

1qr1d3.jpg

In college basketball the coaches salary is the best investment you can make. If you hire the right coach he always earns a massive return for the department and the school.

Find the right coach. Pay him what it takes. Profit.

I’d guess it depends on who we end up hiring.

Higher end of Shaka Matta type would be in the ballpark of 2.3-2.5ish base with incentives up to around 3.3-3.5.

Oats type would be in the middle around Danny’s original contract.

Get down to the miller types and it’d be lower base with higher incentives.

Total guesses though and without looking at their current salaries.

Also by incentives, I’m including endorsements and other things like radio show bonuses that some coaches receive.

Didn't a lot of us think that's what we did with Danny a few years ago?

Nope. People were very meh about him and astonished to find out we were paying him so much.

Wes would do it for 800k with no questions asked.

I think that would currently be the lowest salary in the ACC. Miller has a better resume' than Manning did and got $1.2 million.

Once RacerDeac's check to the DC clears (due to Wellman's departure) the available pool of $'s for the new coaching staff will be increased exponentially.

In college basketball the coaches salary is the best investment you can make. If you hire the right coach he always earns a massive return for the department and the school.

Find the right coach. Pay him what it takes. Profit.

Indeed, quite a bit of profit to be had in not paying the players (at least above the table)!

Are the contracts typically highly incentivized? That makes the most sense to me from a school perspective. Start with a modest base salary with performance escalators that could lead to a big payday, (NCAA tournament appearance, conference position (top four or whatever), final four appearances, etc.)

I’m not interested in a high (or even moderate) risk coach. We need to open the purse as wide as it will possibly go, although I have no idea what amount that is.

Indeed, quite a bit of profit to be had in not paying the players (at least above the table)!

Are the contracts typically highly incentivized? That makes the most sense to me from a school perspective. Start with a modest base salary with performance escalators that could lead to a big payday, (NCAA tournament appearance, conference position (top four or whatever), final four appearances, etc.)

I would not say highly incentivized, not to the degree of most people making that kind of money anyway. I have never heard of a kicker for winning a national championship being more than a couple hundred thousand.

Back