• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Zion Done at Duke?

Tim was amazing for coming back in spite of being the projected #1 pick multiple times. However, it was a completely different world in that era. That year 18 of the 28 first round picks were seniors that year. Twenty of the second round picks were also seniors.

Remember, HSers could go pro in that year, but only T-Mac chose to do that.

Joe Smith, who entered MD the same fall Tim entered Wake left and was drafted after his sophomore year in college. I think he edged out Tim for National Player of the Year that season.

Joe Smith, who entered MD the same fall Tim entered Wake left and was drafted after his sophomore year in college. I think he edged out Tim for National Player of the Year that season.

The year Joe Smith was taken #1 Jerry West was asked who he thought should be #1, The Logo said, "Tim Duncan". Many others thought the same way.

The High School plus a year rule was mostly to protect NBA GM's and scouts. For every LeBron, there have been multiple Kwame Brown's. With the G-League, the NBA can now do its own first year player development. The kids who don't want to be in college have someplace to play for pay once they finish high school.

Agree the NBA was protecting their GMs and scouts. Also agree that it's a different scene now with the G league. But if the NBA had its druthers, I think they'd prefer to keep their current 1 and done rule. I just think the developing environment is making it difficult for them to maintain it, and they're accordingly caving.

The big question, I think, is whether colleges can do anything to stabilize their rosters? Can they institute some sort of contract whereby the athlete agrees to play a specified portion (perhaps 2 or 3 years) of his eligibility for that institution or to repay the portion that he takes elsewhere whether by turning pro or by transferring?

The High School plus a year rule was mostly to protect NBA GM's and scouts. For every LeBron, there have been multiple Kwame Brown's. With the G-League, the NBA can now do its own first year player development. The kids who don't want to be in college have someplace to play for pay once they finish high school.

By my count, there were 39 early entry candidates between KG and the institution of 1 and done. Of that group, KG, Kobe, Lebron, and Howard are all timers. Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, and Al Jefferson were both members of All-NBA and all-star teams. Lou Williams was a 6th man of the year. By my count, at least of 30 of the 39 high schoolers drafted during that period made it at least to a 2nd NBA contract.

I'd be willing to bet that the success rate of prep-to-pro kids matches or exceeds that of any other class of players entering the NBA between 1995 and 2005.

They can't and wouldn't try. It's 100% up to the NBA.

The big question, I think, is whether colleges can do anything to stabilize their rosters? Can they institute some sort of contract whereby the athlete agrees to play a specified portion (perhaps 2 or 3 years) of his eligibility for that institution or to repay the portion that he takes elsewhere whether by turning pro or by transferring?

Good luck getting anyone to sign that.

Can't see the guy playing another college basketball game; just can't.

I think he'll miss the UNC-CH game, 50/50 for the ACCT, and then play in the NCAA tournament.

Winning the NCAAT is huge to most of these guys. It's still the best thing on Carmelo Anthony's resume.

If he plays in the ACCT it will only be a knock the rust off series of appearances.

By my count, there were 39 early entry candidates between KG and the institution of 1 and done. Of that group, KG, Kobe, Lebron, and Howard are all timers. Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, and Al Jefferson were both members of All-NBA and all-star teams. Lou Williams was a 6th man of the year. By my count, at least of 30 of the 39 high schoolers drafted during that period made it at least to a 2nd NBA contract.

I'd be willing to bet that the success rate of prep-to-pro kids matches or exceeds that of any other class of players entering the NBA between 1995 and 2005.

good post

Kwame Brown is often cited as the poster boy for poor decision-makers coming out of high school; he made $64 million through multiple contracts over a 12-year NBA career

Shane Battier came into the NBA at the same time with his shiny NCAA trophies and made $56 million as an NBA player

edited to add that I think 99.99% of tags are sophomoric, but kudos to the "anti-Zionism" tag

If Zion blows out his knee, he will still be taken in the top 3 (the Process says hello). If Zion dominates in the NCAA tournament he will make more money on his endorsement deals. He'll play in the tournaments.

If he blows out his knee, his endorsement deals will be put on hold for at least a year. There's virtually no upside to him playing another minute for Duke....well, unless K pays him seven figures out of his or Nike's pocket.

A can of co-cola was only a nickel. Mindcraft didn't exist, and Jason Isbell hadn't yet written a single song!

This isn't about Zion, it's about K and his legacy. This may very well be his last good chance for a national title. No way Zion ain't coming back. If for some reason he doesn't K will get a current high schooler to reclassify in time for the big dance. You can do anything these days at that fine academic institution in Durham

Duke will have a top five recruiting class for the rest of K's time at Duke. It could be only a year or two but however long it is he will have a good chance for a national title.

Zion already has an agent - yes, he does - and the agent and Zion’s parents are calling all the shots about what happened with Zion. It is NOT Coach K. They are telling K how it is and will be.

Of course Zion has an agent - Arizona's assistant coaches are on tape talking about how much they needed to pay him

will the NCAA do anything? NAH

Holy crap RJ, do you not remember the LOL Harry Giles thread? Harry Giles dropped to #19 after people watched him play half a year and realized that he sucked.

Harry Giles looks pretty solid this year for the Kings.

Harry sucked because of his second injury. The injury is why he dropped. He couldn't play any more.

Duke will have a top five recruiting class for the rest of K's time at Duke. It could be only a year or two but however long it is he will have a good chance for a national title.

not as good as this, Barrett and Williamson don't come around often no matter how many McD's he signs

Back