• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Is Zion Done at Duke?

DeacDoug

Reaction score
There is speculation that Zion will play no more college ball. This would probably eliminate the ridiculous one-and-done rule for good. Zion should have never attended Duke to begin with. We'll see how this plays out. It seems clear that Duke won't go too far without him.

The one-and-done rule is really an NBA rule. To be draft eligible, generally, the player needs to be one year removed from HS. Nothing requires kids to go to college, but it obviously is the preferred path for the vast majority of draft caliber players.

he should. most likely top pick in the draft and almost lost it with that knee inj. should not play again without getting paid!

Last edited:
No, Zion isn't done. He may skip the UNC game but will be back for the 2 tourneys.

Whether he plays another college game or not, he will be playing basketball between now and the NBA draft. He could just as easily blow out an achilles or ACL in a practice or workouts as he could in a game. And if he does blow out a knee between now and June, he'll still be the #1 or 2 pick in the draft. And why not sit out the rest of the regular season but play in the ACC and NCAA tourneys? Winning a natty would be another great thing to put on you historical resume.

To me the bigger question is who is the #1 pick. Zion will put more fannies in seats right away. But I love Barrett's game and think he could be the better pro prospect.

No, Zion isn't done. He may skip the UNC game but will be back for the 2 tourneys.(1)

Whether he plays another college game or not, he will be playing basketball between now and the NBA draft. He could just as easily blow out an achilles or ACL in a practice or workouts as he could in a game.(2) And if he does blow out a knee between now and June, he'll still be the #1 or 2 pick in the draft. And why not sit out the rest of the regular season but play in the ACC and NCAA tourneys? Winning a natty would be another great thing to put on you historical resume.(3)

To me the bigger question is who is the #1 pick. Zion will put more fannies(4) in seats right away. But I love Barrett's game(5) and think he could be the better pro prospect.(6)

Bad takes, counted.

While I think Zion will play in the NCAA tournament, not sure how anyone can declare that to be a fact. Yes, Zion can and will play basketball before the NBA draft, but literally the moment that Zion elects to play no more college basketball, Nike, among others, will offer Zion endorsement contracts that will set him up and everyone else in his family for life. So, he will play those pre-NBA draft workouts/games with 8 figures plus in the bank. While Zion likely would get those deals even if hurt himself again in the tournament, there is some risk if he suffered a catastrophic injury that the endorsement money would not be the same.

With that said, the kid seems committed to return, and it appears he will. Even so, wouldn't be shocked if ZW has played his last game as an amateur.

Barrett, Morant or someone else may turn out to be a better pro, but barring a revelation that his injury is a long term issue, Zion will be the first pick of the draft. The NBA is entertainment, and Zion is and will be the show for years.

No, Zion isn't done. He may skip the UNC game but will be back for the 2 tourneys.

Whether he plays another college game or not, he will be playing basketball between now and the NBA draft. He could just as easily blow out an achilles or ACL in a practice or workouts as he could in a game. And if he does blow out a knee between now and June, he'll still be the #1 or 2 pick in the draft. And why not sit out the rest of the regular season but play in the ACC and NCAA tourneys? Winning a natty would be another great thing to put on you historical resume.

To me the bigger question is who is the #1 pick. Zion will put more fannies in seats right away. But I love Barrett's game and think he could be the better pro prospect.
Why would he give a shit about the ACC Tourney?

I think he'll miss the UNC-CH game, 50/50 for the ACCT, and then play in the NCAA tournament.

Winning the NCAAT is huge to most of these guys. It's still the best thing on Carmelo Anthony's resume.

I heard he has a pretty sweet insurance policy, so why not come back and play?

How? The only semi-bad take was that he could just as easily blow out an achilles/ACL in practice or workouts as a game.

1) No reason to play in ACCT.
2) Just as easily? Absurd.
3) He'll get a ship on resume if they win without him too.
4) The use of fannies, apparently in earnest.
5) Boo
6) Anything can happen, but nah.

1) No reason to play in ACCT.
2) Just as easily? Absurd.
3) He'll get a ship on resume if they win without him too.
4) The use of fannies, apparently in earnest.
5) Boo
6) Anything can happen, but nah.

All of the other points above are debatable, but it's a fact that Duke is not winning the nataional championship without Zion Williamson.

ACC Championship would be a nice starter piece for his championships showcase.

The ACCT stopped being important when the NCAAT expanded. Of course, the ACCT was the major impetus to the NCAAT expanding.

Whether he plays or not, Zion is the end of the "one and dones" and that is a good thing.

I think he plays in the NCAAs.

I heard he has a pretty sweet insurance policy, so why not come back and play?

He has a slot policy that will reimburse him for money lost if an injury drops hims in the draft. However, it won't pick up the cost difference between when he gets drafted and doesn't get a max extension.

I just don't understand not giving a shite about the ACC and NCAA tourneys. And I get not playing another regular season game - he probably could have played this week but why take a chance. I agree with a college football player turning pro not playing in a meaningless bowl game because an injury will cost you a round or 2. But here, Zion is still the #1 or 2 pick even if he does blow out a knee, so he isn't losing any money by playing. The NCAAT is 1 of the most exciting events in sports. And if you win a natty or you're Larry Bird and take an Indiana St to the final game, you're part of hoops lore. So if it's not going to hurt you financially, absolutely do it.

Whereas other players could use the ACCT or NCAAT to promote their "brand", Zion has less than no need to do that. In HS he had millions of followers and has more now.

If he gets hurt, it could cost him $100M+ down the road. If he blows out his knee, his loss in the draft will be nothing compared to losing a second and third NBA contract as well as eight or nine figures in endorsements.

It will be nice for him to have those memories, but are those memories worth risking the frustration an injury would cost him? He has nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

Back