• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka Smart - What's Your Reaction?

What is your reaction if Shaka Smart is hired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Currie and Smart the redemption tour beginning 2019-20.

Okay, I'll answer. Above Smart, I'd have Marshall, Matta and Oats in that order. And I didn't say he wouldn't be worth hiring. I said I'd be in between meh and nice. Personally, I think he's a wonderful guy and would be a great representative of our school. One issue is you'd have to overpay him because he's a big name when you compare the name to the results at Texas - I'm guessing in the $3-4mil per range. But it's not my money, so fine. My bigger issue is style of play. I just don't think you can press all game at a power 6 level and be consistently successful. That was his signature at VCU where he was wildly successful. He hasn't been able to play that same way at Texas. And though he's recruited pretty well, he just plain hasn't been successful there. So while I think he's a great leader of men, his preferred style of play isn't going to cut it at a power 6 school. That's why I think it's an open question as to whether he can reinvent himself and have sustained success at a power 6 school because it hasn't happened at a place where it should have happened. Now if he said he was going to go learn the packline man from Dick Bennett, I'd feel better.

So here's a question in return for those of you in the Shaka movement. I don't catch many B-12 games and have only seen Texas like 3 times this year. For those of you in that part of the country, what have you seen from Texas offensively or defensively that you like or haven't liked?
Prosser tried the full court press stuff at WF and abandoned it after a few ACC games. He had some good years with great talent, but he never knew how to coach effective half court defense.

I think this rumor has legs because:

* There is one guy who could negotiate a deal between Texas and Wake and that is Currie as he has been working as a consultant there for the last 6 months
* We need energy. This guy leads with energy.
* Shit, son demanding my attention. There are more, but later

* There is one guy who could negotiate a deal between Texas and Wake and that is Currie as he has been working as a consultant there for the last 6 months
We all anxiously await your analysis :D

j/k go be a dad... better use of your time than here

My reaction is that Shaka is a decided upgrade in all dimensions over the last three head coaches. Hire the man and let's be relevant again.

Shaka would be a good hire. His time at Texas has dimmed his star, so I understand why folks may have reservations. He would be a statement hire for Wake. He would announce Wake's commitment to winning. He would give the present players a reason to stay. The fan base would be energized and the Joel would be less of a morgue. He would have a fresh opportunity to return to his preferred style of basketball (havoc), better understanding the limitations of that style against top echelon teams. Best case scenario is he builds a successful program. Worst case scenario is he is just another mid-major coach capable of a .500 record in the ACC. At this point .500 would be an improvement before a disappointment. The early benefits are worth the risk.

He is not Thad Matta.

So you think the Shaka to Wake rumor has legs because Wake needs energy?

"There's not a thing that you could say that could talk me down,
From all the things that I eat, sleep and dream about.
I've got a feeling that the whole world is watching now, oh
But I'm alone for the final minute of this hour.

I need a lift, I need a shake,
I need to find another chance that I can take,
I need a fight, I need an energy,
I need something that will take me quickly.
I gotta just let go-whoa-oh
I gotta just let go-whoa-oh

In my dreams there was a whole lot more than this
Now I wander for the journeys that I chose to miss
For a feeling I have chased almost all my life
It sure feels that it's burning for the final time, oh"

My reaction is that Shaka is a decided upgrade in all dimensions over the last three head coaches. Hire the man and let's be relevant again.

Has the Shaka of the last three or four years been a decided upgrade over Dino? I never especially liked Dino, he reminded me of a used car salesman like Valvano. I suspect that some here know the real reason he was fired, unlike me.
But 20+ wins average over three years in the ACC wasn't too shabby. If Shaka will be a decided upgrade over that, I am all for Shaka.

Shaka would be a good hire. His time at Texas has dimmed his star, so I understand why folks may have reservations. He would be a statement hire for Wake. He would announce Wake's commitment to winning. He would give the present players a reason to stay. The fan base would be energized and the Joel would be less of a morgue. He would have a fresh opportunity to return to his preferred style of basketball (havoc), better understanding the limitations of that style against top echelon teams. Best case scenario is he builds a successful program. Worst case scenario is he is just another mid-major coach capable of a .500 record in the ACC. At this point .500 would be an improvement before a disappointment. The early benefits are worth the risk.

He is not Thad Matta.

I agree w/Creamy & BlackjackMc on this! How can people possibly be meh or worse on one of the best young coaches in the land? We are not friggin' Kentucky, UNC, or UCLA... We are a sinking program looking at mid-major guys and you all are throwing shade on a very good coach. Damn, I love Shaka! With a change of scenery coupled with his energy, personaility, and presecnce we will be better a helluva a lot sooner than w/Odom, Miller, etc. Matta, Marshall, & Oats are all good, but am not sure they are coming here either.

Back