• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Jenkins, Sportswriter and novelist Died

Deaconblue

Reaction score
Dan Jenkins, long time sportswriter and novelist, died March 7 at age 90. He was a football and golf writer for Sports Illustrated from 1963 to 1985. After that he wrote for Golf Digest and Playboy. He was the third writer elected to the Golf Hall of Fame. He also was captain of the golf team during his years at TCU, from which he graduated in 1953. He was a scratch golfer, and played rounds with Ben Hogan.

"Semi-Tough," a comic novel about football, was probably his best known book. It was made into a movie starring Burt Reynolds in 1977. His 12th novel was published in 2017.

He was a sportswriter who lived the old school sportswriter's life. He drank lots of coffee, smoked lots of cigarettes and liked to drink. His motto was "type fast, get it done, get to the bar."

His article in SI about Ara Parseghian, coach of number one ranked Notre Dame going for the tie instead of the win against Michigan in 1966 earned him major wrath from the golden dome faithful.

I miss his writing. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever read.

Here is a link to his obituary:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...01ffb5bd5e6_story.html?utm_term=.f6c1c18f0615

Here is a link to a tribute from his daughter, sportswriter Sally Jenkins.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...4d6b7840b82_story.html?utm_term=.8630fbc63165

He has an article in the latest issue of Golf Digest, that just arrived a couple of days ago.
It's called 'The Goat' and it's about a mythical match play tournament between all the greatest golfers that ever lived.
Matches include Hogan vs Koepka, Nicklaus vs Harry Vardon, Speith vs Bobby Jones, Tiger vs Johnny Miller, etc.
I think it may take a few issues to complete the tournament and I'm not sure if Dan finished it before his death.

He has an article in the latest issue of Golf Digest, that just arrived a couple of days ago.
It's called 'The Goat' and it's about a mythical match play tournament between all the greatest golfers that ever lived.
Matches include Hogan vs Koepka, Nicklaus vs Harry Vardon, Speith vs Bobby Jones, Tiger vs Johnny Miller, etc.
I think it may take a few issues to complete the tournament and I'm not sure if Dan finished it before his death.

I hope he did. The man had a genius for comic sports writing. And an incredible imagination.

I hope he did. The man had a genius for comic sports writing. And an incredible imagination.

Speaking of comic genius, I read today that he wanted this written on his tombstone:

'I knew this would happen'

Classic.

Back