• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

Seriously, guys? You think our AD-elect tipped his hand, before conference tournaments, by flying to negotiate with a new coach and posting pictures of it all over social media? Seriously?

Here's what probably happened: dude has been living and working in Austin for the better part of a year (since last August), and he went back to say goodbye, wrap up lose ties, and probably start moving whatever stuff he's got in Austin.

All we can say with any confidence (and TexasDeac1 just articulated it nicely): this puts us in a strong position if UT decides they are looking to pawn off Shaka to another program. But nothing more.

Currie hasn't been living in Austin, he's been living in Charlotte.

We can't start much lower than $4.8 M after SHAKA turned down $4.3 M, is having another average season and we are in the toilet.

It's probably not a bad idea to start at $5.0 - 5.5 M to show we are SERIOUS

the problem with sokolove's posts is that rj doesn't capitalize like that, he's not drew magary

In what universe does Wake have a better recruiting base than GT?

Maybe that list is accurate as a snapshot - but I don't think it is an accurate portrayal of the program potential at Wake. Media exposure and atmosphere are rightfully ranked very low, but, that is because we have been so bad. When we are good the atmosphere has great potential and media exposure comes with success - we are in the hotbed of college basketball and people quickly take notice if we show signs of life. I don't get the budget/resources rank being so low.... I would think we have money to spend and I don't get the feeling we are limited by resources in any way? Maybe that is a reflection of the fact that so many programs in the conference simply have more - and not that we don't have much? And I wonder if the facilities rank considers all of the new stuff we have built and are building - I doubt it, so that ranking should go up...

Man, RJ's posts at the height of the Shaka stuff were money.

Suspect it was a commercial flight? I wouldn't think we use a private jet for our AD, unless necessary to keep the trip confidential (obviously didn't do that here).

Perhaps we need to send Bud to the Austin airport for some surveillance?

I know people pooh pooh it, but I would balls to the walls for SHAKA. CLEARLY he's not looking to stay at a big state university (yes there were a lot of students at VCU, but it's not the same as TX, UCLA, AZ or a similar school. It's a commuter school). The ACC will be the #1 conference for decades.

TX is in a BAD conference. It's different now than it was last year.

SHAKA isn't like Stevens. His style would NOT work in the NBA.

SHAKA and Few are friends. SHAKA could stay Wake for the rest of his career and be a legend like Few is at Gonzaga.

All those guys on the list (Miller, Matta, Oats) will be there after we take our shot. If we don't take a shot, we are being LOWF. You can't win if you don't try.

Start the bidding at $50.0M/ten years and go up to $55-60M. We can DEFINITELY afford it.

Perhaps we need to send Bud to the Austin airport for some surveillance?

giphy.gif

It would truly be a Wellman'esque start to his tenure to be so tone deaf to the fanbase that Currie could go to Austin, hang out with the candidate that we would love to hire and not think twice about posting it to social media. A "historically competitive" start to his time in the AD's office.

Ohhhhh snap. when does texas play? is their season over if they lose?

They play Kansas on Thursday. They are not going dancing if they lose, so Shaka is bringing back Kerwin Roach to make a run. If they get beat the question then becomes do they deny a trip to the NIT.

I know people pooh pooh it, but I would balls to the walls for SHAKA. CLEARLY he's not looking to stay at a big state university (yes there were a lot of students at VCU, but it's not the same as TX, UCLA, AZ or a similar school. It's a commuter school). The ACC will be the #1 conference for decades.

TX is in a BAD conference. It's different now than it was last year.

SHAKA isn't like Stevens. His style would NOT work in the NBA.

SHAKA and Few are friends. SHAKA could stay Wake for the rest of his career and be a legend like Few is at Gonzaga.

All those guys on the list (Miller, Matta, Oats) will be there after we take our shot. If we don't take a shot, we are being LOWF. You can't win if you don't try.

Start the bidding at $50.0M/ten years and go up to $55-60M. We can DEFINITELY afford it.

This guy like Racer is thinking in the right direction. I like it!

Back