• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

Oh, I don't think he was living in Austin full-time. in fact, I'm sure he was living in Charlotte (and I suspect he may continue to live there in some capacity while his kids are in school).

My primary point was just that his trip to Austin wasn't in his professional capacity as wake AD-elect and to convince shaka to quit UT for Wake.

My status as betterphan doesn't mean I know any of these people in real life, nor do I wish to. Y'alls quickness to anger seems to stem directly from the helplessness you feel not knowing anything about what is going on behind the scenes. Me? I'm cool to wait and see how this plays out. Speculate away, my friends.

Like I said, you obviously don't know shit.

It is unrealistic to think that Currie went to Austin and spent 100% of his time saying thanks and bye and posing for hook em horn photos.

It is also implausible though not equally that all was worked out pending shaka's approval and end of season.

It is unrealistic to think that Currie went to Austin and spent 100% of his time saying thanks and bye and posing for hook em horn photos.

It is also implausible though not equally that all was worked out pending shaka's approval and end of season.

That’s what I’m thinking. Currie was living in Charlotte, so the majority of his consulting work was probably done remotely. I doubt he went down to Austin just to yuk it up for a day. If Shaka doesn’t happen, I feel pretty confident that it won’t be because Currie didn’t have a finger to the pulse on his job status at UT.

Generally a buy out would still be considered compensation reported on a W2.

Agreed - I think we may see it in a couple of years. The 6/30/17 990 is what I was looking at, submitted on 5/14/18. I presume that includes his 12/31/16 W-2 numbers. They are probably filing the 6/30/18 990 this week and we can see it in a couple of months. The 6/30/19 form due next March will report 12/31/18 W-2; the 6/30/20 form, which will be filed in March 2021, is the one that would show severance - IF it happens this year. So by then we'll have all moved on.

Agreed - I think we may see it in a couple of years. The 6/30/17 990 is what I was looking at, submitted on 5/14/18. I presume that includes his 12/31/16 W-2 numbers. They are probably filing the 6/30/18 990 this week and we can see it in a couple of months. The 6/30/19 form due next March will report 12/31/18 W-2; the 6/30/20 form, which will be filed in March 2021, is the one that would show severance - IF it happens this year. So by then we'll have all moved on.

This is generally correct, except the deadline for Wake’s 990 is May 15th of the following year. So the earliest we would see any evidence of the buyout would probably be July or August of 2021.

We should be able to see the evidence of any salary bump from the extension (assuming it kicked in at the beginning of the 17-18 season and not at the beginning of 2018) on last year’s 990 which will be publicly available (unless you want to go examine it in person) late summer of this year.

This is generally correct, except the deadline for Wake’s 990 is May 15th of the following year. So the earliest we would see any evidence of the buyout would probably be July or August of 2021.

We should be able to see the evidence of any salary bump from the extension (assuming it kicked in at the beginning of the 17-18 season and not at the beginning of 2018) on last year’s 990 which will be publicly available (unless you want to go examine it in person) late summer of this year.

Did i miss something? thought thos clown was gone for good?

FWIW, it appears Dino’s buyout was roughly one year’s salary. His prorated wages through April 7 2010 work out to about $850,000 (depending on when his actual last day of employment was). He also received a lump sum of $867,000 that year. If he received payments from Wake after 2010, they were less than $100,000 or Wake didn’t report them.

If Texas loses tonight and doesn’t the tournament, I think the other stuff gets worked out

Prediction: Texas holds on to Shaka for another year, at least in part because CDC gets a call from every school with a head coaching vacancy (and some without).

Texas has a much better season in 2019-20 and earns a 4 seed (or better) in the NCAA tourney.

Shaka sticks around for years.

I listened to Austin sports talk radio again on the way home. Lots of talk about Shaka to Wake. Said Texas was working to find a new home for Shaka. Nothing really that had not been discussed on here. They did say going to Wake would provide a narrative for all parties in that Shaka would be leaving Texas for a basketball school. That is still our reputation!

Mentioned how convenient it was that Currie was in Austin on Monday. Said it almost made it seem too obvious.

They doubted Manning could be owed $18 million. They said if it was football there would be no doubt Texas would eat the money Shaka is owed. They said maybe Wake could take Shaka in a trade for Wake’s tennis coach.

Back