• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

ITS THE ONLY NAME FOR ANYONE TO THINK ABOUT!!! GET RID OF LOWF!!

PUT THE ENERGY INTO THE WORLD!!!

SHAKA! SHAKA! SHAKA!

Shaka would would get us back to being a top-8 ACC team and making the tourney every season, while making a run at winning conference every couple of years. I'll give him 1 throwaway season and then it's on.

It has to be appealing to him to be a young guy in the best conference in America, where only UVA, NC State, UL and to a lesser extend ND(Brey is 18 years older than Shaka) look to have long term coaches in place. Cuse, Duke, UNC, Miami and FSU are about to have their old as dirt coaches phase out. Reading the tea leaves, VPI will most likely lose Buzz, and I'm not too worried about Shaka being able to out coach Brownell, Christian, Capel and Pastner( if he doesn't get the boot for cheating).

Shaka makes so much sense for us right now. He can easily stay at Wake and make us the less douchey Duke for the next 25 years.

THIS!

I think Shaka still has a lot of potential as a coach and his motivation to succeed after not at Texas should be off the charts. Sure there are a couple coaches I'd put ahead of him, but could we get them, doubtful. If it ends up being Shaka I think we should approach with excitement, but guarded excitement, which is how I've learned to approach everything when it comes to Wake sports. It's like the top 20 preseason ranking of the baseball team this season. I was excited to see it, but I haven't been surprised in the least we've struggled so far.

I'll be excited, but like you say, a guarded excitement. It will suck to feel like you're getting a great coach and then have them struggle at Wake too.

I really want to know why Shaka hasn't succeeded at UT. I'd trust Currie to understand it. However, I think Shaka has question marks. He hasn't won a game in the NCAA since 2012-2013 and has never finished 1st in his conference.

I'd take Oats personally but his language makes me think he's content to try building Buffalo into a Gonzaga rather than coming to rebuilding job in a conference that already has major heavyweights ahead of it.

Yea if Shaka can't finish near the top of a crappy Big XII conference, how is he going to take on Duke, UNC, UVA, etc in the ACC?

IDK...We'll probably get him and then I'll be stuck feeling uneasy again with a new coach. Though I think he'll energize the fanbase and at least get games watchable again. You'd just hate to back up the Brinks truck for a bridge-coach

Texas' AD: "I won't comment" on Shaka Smart. They're trying to dump him for sure and get Beard (Texas alum).

When Kansas coach Bill Self was asked to state a case for Texas’ inclusion into the NCAA tourney, he began by mentioning the Longhorns talent.

That’s a sign of how Smart has underachieved with this group.

He had a high-lottery pick last year in Mo Bamba. This year he may have another one-and-done lottery pick in Jayson Hayes. Kerwin Roach II and Dylan Osetkowski are both seniors who are gone.

“They are top three in the league in terms of talent,” one Big 12 coach told me. “There’s no way when a team like Baylor is cruising into the NCAA tournament that Texas should be on the bubble.”

There was a time, not all that long ago, when Smart and Brad Stevens were mentioned in the same breath. The two guys who weren’t going to leave their mid-major spots – VCU and Butler – for just any job. Stevens left for the NBA’s storied franchise in Boston while Smart went to the Big 12 and Texas.

After four seasons, Smart is 66-66 overall. He’s 16-16 this season and hasn’t gotten past the first round of the NCAA tourney thus far in his tenure.

It’s the definition of mediocrity.

Smart isn’t going to just walk and leave $13 million on the table, but could he find a spot where he is better-suited – and not take a hit money-wise – and get a fresh start. Sources told Stadium that Del Conte hasn’t been happy with the results and would strongly consider making a move if not for the buyout.

Del Conte did make one thing clear. In the current landscape of college basketball, where coaches are being suspended and subpoenaed, Smart’s character is an underrated aspect.

https://watchstadium.com/news/texas-ad-i-wont-comment-on-shaka-smart-03-15-2019/

Last edited:
I've heard/read a lot of stuff that Shaka is no longer employing the havoc defense at UT. If so, why not? Would love to see that at Wake.

I've heard/read a lot of stuff that Shaka is no longer employing the havoc defense at UT. If so, why not? Would love to see that at Wake.

Someone said something to the effect of getting 2-3* recruits buying in on playing 100% effort defense 100% of the time is easier than doing so with 4-5* recruits.

It’s really gonna suck if Shaka leaves Texas, goes somewhere that isn’t Wake Forest, and wins for 20+ years.

Someone said something to the effect of getting 2-3* recruits buying in on playing 100% effort defense 100% of the time is easier than doing so with 4-5* recruits.

Shouldn't be nearly as hard at Wake then.

It’s really gonna suck if Shaka leaves Texas, goes somewhere that isn’t Wake Forest, and wins for 20+ years.

Yeah, I really don't understand why we'd turn our noses up at Smart given the state of our program. It's sort of like how I didn't understand why we turned up our noses at the idea of hiring Chris Mack in 2014, not that that was ever a real option. Mack just kept winning at Xavier and now is winning at Louisville in his first year. And Wake hires Manning and continues being flushed down the toilet.

4 star and 5 star guards don't crack and mishandle the ball under pressure, so it is harder to get good results from employing full court pressure defense at the P6 level.

He hasn't had the type of athlete he prefers for the pressure defense. Also, Mo Bamba.

Amen! We would have to come up with a new cheer. Maybe "Wake is Average. Wake is Average. Wake is Average." At least that would be a step up from where we are now.

Average in the ACC gets you an NCAA tournament bid.

Back