• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

NBA teams don't play full court pressure defense. If you want to recruit top level players you need to play a style that will translate to the next level.

NBA teams don't play full court pressure defense. If you want to recruit top level players you need to play a style that will translate to the next level.

LOL. Since Shaka got to UT-Austin he hasn't had a class ranked below #12 in the nation, and has 3 top 10 rated recruiting classes. Pitino also has had multiple top 10 recruiting class. Keatts is recruiting at a high level. But lets just throw statements out of our ass and see if they stick.

This is where I am. The shine has worn off Shaka for me. He’s been mediocre at Texas and I don’t want mediocre. Yes, mediocre is better than downright turrible, but there appear to be better options. I have no confidence that if he can’t win at Texas he’ll suddenly start winning here. Taking Texas’s sloppy seconds is LOWF.

That said, it would be nice to get Jamie Skeen back.

just because he was not as successful at texas does not mean he is not the right fit for wake. lets not act like every coach that goes to texas has success...this would be a home run hire and would bring instant excitement to the program...for so many reasons

LOL. Since Shaka got to UT-Austin he hasn't had a class ranked below #12 in the nation, and has 3 top 10 rated recruiting classes. Pitino also has had multiple top 10 recruiting class. Keatts is recruiting at a high level. But lets just throw statements out of our ass and see if they stick.

Shaka doesn't play Havoc at Texas

Shaka doesn't play Havoc at Texas

Go to 1 hour and 6 minutes in, then tell me what defense Texas plays for the rest of the game. He doesn't play it consistently because it hasn't worked with his personnel, doesn't mean he doesn't want to play it or that recruits aren't aware of what he does.

The list of ACC coaches that have been hired since Dino was fired has some hits and some misses, but other than James Johnson, and maybe Brian Gregory, none have been the same level of bad as our two hires.

Clemson 2010 Brad Brownell

NC State 2011 Mark Gottfried 2017
2017 Kevin Keatts

GA Tech 2011 Brian Gregory 2016
2016 Josh Pastner

Miami 2011 Jim Larranaga

Va Tech 2012 James Johnson 2014
2014 Buzz Williams

BC 2014 Jim Christian

Pitt 2018 Jeff Capel

Louisville 2018 Chris Mack

It’s hard to top two of the worst six or seven coaches in ACC history (in back to back hires).

Shaka would be great

Oats would be great

Matta would be great

it's gonna hurt like hell when we hire Kelsey or Wes Miller

Scoop, somebody on the Demon Deacon Sports Nation facebook group posted according to their Wake Forest "connections," our next coach is coming from UNC-G. Meltdown level is we end up with Wes Miller instead of Shaka by all those not name Donald Ross?

Scoop, somebody on the Demon Deacon Sports Nation facebook group posted according to their Wake Forest "connections," our next coach is coming from UNC-G. Meltdown level is we end up with Wes Miller instead of Shaka by all those not name Donald Ross?

From what I've seen, the AD insider connections in that group seem to peak at "I know a guy who works the concession stand in Deacon Tower."

I don't think there will be a meltdown. Shaka's floor is WAY higher than Miller's. Miller could be a good get. Who knows? Remember everyone on the board wanted Peter Lembo instead of Clawson? Look how that turned out. Shaka would win the press conference though, that's for sure.

Personally, I MUCH prefer Shaka and think they should do what it takes to get him here. However, it's obvious that there are a ton of obstacles to do that (his buyout, Texas is still playing, does Shaka want to come to Wake?, etc.). Miller would jump at the Wake job and probably cost substantially less money.

Last edited:

The Sunshine Brigade has no connections to our new AD. They can all go back to not knowing shit about basketball and enjoying their wine and cheese.

Back