• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

tenor.gif

this but the opposite

I mean UT fans are kind of the worst. And they’ve never shown up for Texas basketball games

Throw in NIT, Spring Break and SXSW and I’m surprised a single person was there

Man, he’s going to feel comfortable at the Joel then.

When we put out a successful BB coach and team, the Joel is pretty great. I remember Skip’s days...the place rocked! Miss that. Would love to see a coach who cares about the fan base and works to engage them.

Smokin' danny does not engage with fans. #secondhandsmoke #firsthandawful

Shaka did take a team from the play-in game to the Final Four. Which means in every game except for the first, VCU beat a higher seeded team.

The last time Wake beat a higher seeded team was in 2010 when the #9 seed Deacs beat the #8 seed Texas Longhorns. Before that it was 1993 when the #5 seed Deacs beat the #4 seed Iowa Hawkeyes. In 1984, the # 4 seed Deacs beat the #1 seed Depaul Blue Demons. Teams were not seeded in the 1977, 1962, 1961, 1953, or 1939 tourneys. To be fair, I think that the 1977 team exceeded expectations in the tourney.

Wake has been beaten by lower seeds in 2009, 2005, 2003, 2001, 1997, 1995, 1992, and 1981.

So Wake has played to seed 7 times, pulled off upsets over higher seeds 3 times, and has been upset by lower seeds 8 times.

Wake has a woeful NCAA Tournament history. And NCAA Tourney success is all that matters any more.

Shaka did take a team from the play-in game to the Final Four. Which means in every game except for the first, VCU beat a higher seeded team.

The last time Wake beat a higher seeded team was in 2010 when the #9 seed Deacs beat the #8 seed Texas Longhorns. Before that it was 1993 when the #5 seed Deacs beat the #4 seed Iowa Hawkeyes. In 1984, the # 4 seed Deacs beat the #1 seed Depaul Blue Demons. Teams were not seeded in the 1977, 1962, 1961, 1953, or 1939 tourneys. To be fair, I think that the 1977 team exceeded expectations in the tourney.

Wake has been beaten by lower seeds in 2009, 2005, 2003, 2001, 1997, 1995, 1992, and 1981.

So Wake has played to seed 7 times, pulled off upsets over higher seeds 3 times, and has been upset by lower seeds 8 times.

Wake has a woeful NCAA Tournament history. And NCAA Tourney success is all that matters any more.

i've never been fond of people talking about this. unless you are winning the whole thing, you want to be knocked out as a higher seed because it means you had a better season. do you want a 9-16 seed or a 1-8?
just saw jay wright is 27-23 in the ncaa tournament. does he suck?

wake does not have a woeful ncaa tournament record. i've stated this numerous times on this board. they are 38th all time in ncaa tournament wins (out of 351 teams) with a 28-23 record. that includes the last decade of ass shit bull doodoo.
outside of ucla, duke, kentucky, north carolina and kansas i'd bet you'd find the same results for every other team.
only one team wins. so unless you win, you are going to have a loss. and unless you had a mediocre season, you are going to be a higher seed.

The 1977 team beat a 26-1 Arkansas team in the first round. After two more wins we were close to beating Marquette in the regional finals. Had we won, we would have played Charlotte, a team that we had already beaten. The next game would have been against UNC. We were 2-1 against UNC that year, but they won the NCAA Tournament.

The 1977 team beat a 26-1 Arkansas team in the first round. After two more wins we were close to beating Marquette in the regional finals. Had we won, we would have played Charlotte, a team that we had already beaten. The next game would have been against UNC. We were 2-1 against UNC that year, but they won the NCAA Tournament.

This is mostly correct. Except in those days, there weren't as many teams so Wake only played one game after beating Arkansas (they beat Southern Illinois) and if we had beaten Marquette we would have played UNCC in the Final Four. Instead Marquette played UNCC in the Final Four (winning 51-49) and then beat UNC for the championship.

That Marquette game in 1977...….a bunch of us were on our way back from Fort Lauderdale after spring break. 2 carloads of us pulled into a small town in northern Florida around game time and found an appliance store that was open. They had about 20 TVs along one wall. We all walked in, told them we were from Wake and they graciously turned all the TVs to our game while we all sat on the floor and watched. I'm sure the owners got a kick out of us. Unfortunately, we lost, got back in our cars and drove another 8-9 hours back to Winston. Great times.

Vic Vinegar
‏ @VicVinegar17
Mar 15

Seeing some UT fans calling for #ShakaSmart to be fired. As I reported earlier this week, several boosters have come forward and offered to pay the buyout. Smart is 66-66 at Texas. #HookEm #Big12MBB
1 reply 1 retweet 4 likes

Some dude named Vic Vinegar is reporting this in Texas.

Vic Vinegar
‏ @VicVinegar17
Mar 15

Seeing some UT fans calling for #ShakaSmart to be fired. As I reported earlier this week, several boosters have come forward and offered to pay the buyout. Smart is 66-66 at Texas. #HookEm #Big12MBB

I wouldn't spend much more time worrying about Smart or any other coach for that matter. Our village idiots can't even figure out how to fire the current coach.

Vic Vinegar
‏ @VicVinegar17
Mar 15

Vic Vinegar is an awesome name.

Yeah I’m not trusting a guy named after the alt-persona of one of the characters on Its Always Sunny. However, that episode where Dennis and Mac are realtors named Hugh Honey and Vic Vinegar is incredible.

Back