• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

It would be an interesting turn of fate in f the rumors are true. Five years ago we would be over the moon, but yet now his coaching trajectory has taken a hit. It could be the fresh start he needs, without as much pressure. We need energy back in the program, I think he can bring it. Still, a little hesitant.

Charlie-Brown-Lucy-Football.jpg

I want the best coach for Wake for the next 30 years. If he's just been fired by Texas or is the coach at UNCG, I don't care. This isn't about norms or lack thereof. This about getting the right guy.

I don't know if these rumors will pan out, but it makes sense.

If Shaka comes to Wake, he won't get fired. He will just take the Wake job.

That is part of negotiations. If Shaka just leaves Texas for another job, he may owe them a buyout. Conversely, if Texas fires Shaka Smart, they would owe him a buyout for the remainder of his contract. Supposedly that is a big number - over $10 million.

So Smart "just coming to Wake" could mean he leaves a lot of money in Texas.

it would be mutually agreed upon that Shaka could walk.

7 NCAA tournament appearances with one being a final four and we don't want him? After what this program has been over the last 10 years? Somebody show me a list of realistic candidates that have a better resume.

Exactly. Honestly I think the Wake job would be a better fit for Shaka than the Texas job at a predominantly football focused school. Plus the ACC is where top coaches want to be. It could be perfect timing for Shaka with the pressure he is under right now at Texas. The facilities and tradition of Wake basketball might be a big enough draw and he would be instrumental in putting us back on the map where we belong. Hope this works out!

I feel like people are trying to talk themselves out of Shaka now that there seems to be a reasonable chance at it happening.

I have some hope based on Currie’s supposed consulting at UT. He might know what the temperature is .

He would at least know who to ask. And, given that he is not the AD at Wake Forest right now, he isn’t sneaking behind his current coach’s back. Very unique situation. This might be our Buzz Williams moment.

I had forgotten that Shaka was at VCU for 4 more seasons after his final 4 before he left for a bigger school/paycheck

It would be an interesting turn of fate in f the rumors are true. Five years ago we would be over the moon, but yet now his coaching trajectory has taken a hit. It could be the fresh start he needs, without as much pressure. We need energy back in the program, I think he can bring it. Still, a little hesitant.

My feelings as well. Would be very happy to have him, but if he couldn't get it done at Texas, can he get it done at Wake?

The question is why did he fall short of expectations at Texas?

I am hesitant to take a guy who turned us down once.

Roy turned down UNC once. We’re coming off of Jeff and Manning. The hand wringing over Shaka is amazing.

Back