• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

Shaka is a no brainer hire. We could do and probably will do alot worse.

Shaka is a no brainer hire. We could do and probably will do alot worse.

Lol at the lowf mentality. Shaka Smart is 61-59 (26-35 Big 12) at Texas with a much bigger budget playing against weaker competition than Wake plays annually. That's not a no brainer hire. Maybe he's Wakes best option, maybe not. Maybe a mid-major coach who sees Wake as a destination job and can recruit the Carolinas would be better. Don't just go for the gimmick hire, get the right guy.

Last edited:
The rumors are there because Currie was working as a consultant at Univ. Texas for the last chunk of time. He has a working relationship, at minimum, with the Texas AD

I fully expect Texas to make a run in (or win) the Big 12 Tournament, simply because we can't have nice things.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...a-Smart-isn-t-going-anywhere-yet-13676479.php

This quote from the linked article is basically /thread. Shaka Smart is not coming to Wake Forest this year.

But the bigger factor is financial, and that one is immutable. Smart's contract is fully guaranteed for four more years and $12.9 million, and even the richest athletic department in the country cannot justify pouring that much money – plus whatever it would cost to buy out a new coach's deal from another school – into a program that UT's fan base always has treated as a passing distraction.

Think of it this way: For the sake of argument, let's say the Longhorns could go out and hire Bill Self, or Mike Krzyzewski, or Roy Williams this spring. People would be really excited, right? But basketball would still receive a fraction of the interest that football does at UT, and by next December the Erwin Center would still be less than half full, just like it was during Smart's honeymoon.

By all accounts, athletic director Chris Del Conte is sincere in his desire to win, but at a place like UT, he has to remain accountable to the bottom line. And unlike in football, the difference in revenue generated by a Top 10 basketball program and an NCAA tournament bubble team isn't big enough to justify what it would cost to make a change. UT is not going to pay more to buy out its basketball coach than the $10.4 million it paid to get rid of Charlie Strong.

That’s why we are talking about Currie brokering a deal where Smart just leaves and isn’t fired.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...a-Smart-isn-t-going-anywhere-yet-13676479.php

This quote from the linked article is basically /thread. Shaka Smart is not coming to Wake Forest this year.

But the bigger factor is financial, and that one is immutable. Smart's contract is fully guaranteed for four more years and $12.9 million, and even the richest athletic department in the country cannot justify pouring that much money – plus whatever it would cost to buy out a new coach's deal from another school – into a program that UT's fan base always has treated as a passing distraction.

Think of it this way: For the sake of argument, let's say the Longhorns could go out and hire Bill Self, or Mike Krzyzewski, or Roy Williams this spring. People would be really excited, right? But basketball would still receive a fraction of the interest that football does at UT, and by next December the Erwin Center would still be less than half full, just like it was during Smart's honeymoon.

By all accounts, athletic director Chris Del Conte is sincere in his desire to win, but at a place like UT, he has to remain accountable to the bottom line. And unlike in football, the difference in revenue generated by a Top 10 basketball program and an NCAA tournament bubble team isn't big enough to justify what it would cost to make a change. UT is not going to pay more to buy out its basketball coach than the $10.4 million it paid to get rid of Charlie Strong.

And this is why Shaka would come to Wake. Texas won't fire him or buy him but if a deal can be worked out where he leaves Texas and comes to Wake, then the 4 years and $12.9 million aren't a factor.

you sure do talk like you know everything

Lets just go all pro sports and offer a trade, Danny to UT and Shaka to WF. No money needs to be exchanged. /s

Just think about what Danny would have done with Mo Bamba! /s

Is there any scenario that saves us money? I am assuming we take Shaka and give him a contract for what he’s making now plus another year and Texas chips in $8M or so toward Manning. Still a bargain for them and it helps us out tremendously.

The question is why did he fall short of expectations at Texas?

I am hesitant to take a guy who turned us down once.

Not sure it was really Shaka turning Wake down. Sounds like Wake (aka Hatch) screwed up when we had the opportunity to land him. And his wife supposedly had something to do with it too and so they went to Texas. But times, and people, change and have a change of heart. Here’s to the Deacs bringing in a real coach, and most importantly, some excitement around our basketball program once again. Shaka is the exact fit we need for that in my opinion. Go Deacs!

I'm pretty sure all WF basketball coaches hired in the modern era have a combined total of 1 NCAA tournament win (Skip's '96-'97 Xavier team made the round of 32) when Wake hired them. One.

Shaka has seven.

lol at anyone thinking this wouldn't be a grand slam hire.

I'm pretty sure all WF basketball coaches hired in the modern era have a combined total of 1 NCAA tournament win (Skip's '96-'97 Xavier team made the round of 32) when Wake hired them. One.

Shaka has seven.

lol at anyone thinking this wouldn't be a grand slam hire.

TITCR

Feels like the biggest missing part of the equation is not knowing what Shaka Smart would like to have happen.

The more I read about his situation at Texas, it seems as though he'll be the coach there next year... If that's what he wants to do. As much as that fanbase is up in arms, his results haven't been so bad that I'd expect him to be fired... Especially given the buyout.

But if Smart wants to head elsewhere, I think it is likely that something could be negotiated to appease both Texas and his future destination.

There is a big part of me that doubts that Smart is ready to move on. He seems like he has the type of competitive personality that would welcome the opportunity to prove the doubters wrong with a successful 5th season at Texas.

Of course, I'm one of the people here that thought Manning would show some results in this "make or break" year... And that was proven incorrect about a week into the season.

Back