• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

It also seems weird to say this given the quality of recruits they've had, but it does seem like Texas has had some rotten luck the past few years:

1) Two years ago, their top scorer Tevin Mack (who originally commited to VCU) was suspended in his middle of his soph year (15 games) and eventually kicked out (now at Alabama). Would have been a huge piece for them.

2) Last year, their top scorer Andrew Jones only played 10 games his soph year before being diagnosed with leukemia. Also would have been a huge piece.

3) This year, their top scorer Kerwin Roach was suspended towards the end of the season, coinciding with their late season slump.

These seem more flukey than systemic, which bodes well for future success.

SHAKA is in a tough spot. Does take a decent sized $5.5M/year offer after this season from Wake? Or does have the confidence that he can deliver another good season next year and a get a
$10M/year deal. If we make the right offer, SHAKA will at least listen. I'd rather have SHAKA than Stevens. WE'RE STILL ALIVE!!! SHAKA! SHAKA! SHAKA!

I don't really follow this logic. I mean Shaka is kind of exhibit A of the phenomenon you're discussing so not sure how we can say he's a much safer choice.
Agreed. Shaka made his name on a run in the Tourney, but his best team/teams were later and on par with what Oats has done, and benefited greatly recruiting wise from that unlikely run.

I know! Let’s start a HIRE SHAKA petition! Hey, it worked with Pelphrey, didn’t it? Uh, wait. No, no it didn’t.

What caused the suspensions for his best players? Stuff happens, but its obviously concerning that it has happened multiple times.

How do the buyouts normally work in coaches' contracts, if they get another job?

Assume Shaka's buyout is $4 mm per year for 3 more years ($12 mm). If he gets another job making $2.5 mm for year 2 and 3, what would his buyout be:

1 - $12 mm - the new job has no impact on the buyout?

2 - $7 mm (Y1 $4, Y2 $1.5 and Y3 $1.5) - the money from the new job reduces they buyout $ for $

3 - $4 mm - taking the new job ends the buyout

4 - Varies greatly, but contract

Right now (still subject to change):

Matta
Shaka
Oats (I am almost tempted to put TJ here)

You can't have Oats. Doesn't rhyme with Matta and Shaka.
However, you could have Matta, Shaka and O-atta.

Shaka would be less of a risk than anyone else that we have been talking about. I think that Matta's health is more of any issue than people are hoping it would be. And Oats hasn't done at Buffalo what Shaka did at VCU. Oats has one NCAA Tourney win. Shaka has been to the Final Four and has 6 NCAA wins. Their overall winning percentage is comparable (Oats .687 and Shaka .661) and that's including his record at Texas. And Shaka's winning percentage at VCU is much higher (.744 vs. .687)

I kind of agree with this in regard to risk. I don't think there is any chance he would completely fail like our past 2 coaches.

My concern is that Havoc does not translate well to top conferences and we end up with a record similar to what Shaka had at Texas. I think there is a pretty decent chance this would be the results.

I think Oats offers the best chance for a home run albeit with greater risk.

Your concern is that we end up #27 in Kenpom in Year 4?

27 in Kenpom is nice. Watching the tournament at home with 16 losses not so much.

Like I said, pretty high floor but the record at Texas is not really what anyone would be hoping for.

WF is not hiring Tony Bennett or Mark Few. Among the available candidates, hard to find anyone that has taken 7 of his 8 teams to the NCAAs. Smart's record shows that he knows what he is doing, and he's still just 41 (younger than Nate Oats, John Brannen, Russell Turner, Steve Forbes). Lots of miles left on the tires. Always risk with any hire, but Shaka to WF is about as good as anyone could reasonably expect.

That is a good stat, no doubt.

I kind of agree with this in regard to risk. I don't think there is any chance he would completely fail like our past 2 coaches.

My concern is that Havoc does not translate well to top conferences and we end up with a record similar to what Shaka had at Texas. I think there is a pretty decent chance this would be the results.

I think Oats offers the best chance for a home run albeit with greater risk.

Defense? What's that?

K0D6SCw.gif

Unless there is some guarantee that all of our current players are returning plus that our top recruits are coming (and that may not be enough), what coach with an established reputation for winning wants to risk that reputation by taking a program that has been losing big for a decade? It's almost like starting from scratch or starting in a deep hole. That might be good for a coach working his way up, but a coach who has achieved a degree of stardom will not be interested in all likelihood. Wes Miller may be the best bet.

I don't really follow this logic. I mean Shaka is kind of exhibit A of the phenomenon you're discussing so not sure how we can say he's a much safer choice.

Texas is something like 27 in Kenpom. I'd be thrilled if Wake were at that level. Certainly would not be considered a "failure."

what coach with an established reputation for winning wants to risk that reputation by taking a program that has been losing big for a decade?

If you want to rebuild your reputation, at a place that won't fire you unless you suck ass for 5 years, we're a perfect place. We pay like a top tier program, we just have sucked for 9 years. A good coach could turn us around in 2 years.

Back