• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

If you want to rebuild your reputation, at a place that won't fire you unless you suck ass for 5 years, we're a perfect place. We pay like a top tier program, we just have sucked for 9 years. A good coach could turn us around in 2 years.

Yep. I don't think it would be terribly hard for a good coach to have us competing again. Even Manning was able to land some good recruits despite everything.

Unless there is some guarantee that all of our current players are returning plus that our top recruits are coming (and that may not be enough), what coach with an established reputation for winning wants to risk that reputation by taking a program that has been losing big for a decade? It's almost like starting from scratch or starting in a deep hole. That might be good for a coach working his way up, but a coach who has achieved a degree of stardom will not be interested in all likelihood. Wes Miller may be the best bet.

If a coach does not think they can be successful here then we don't want them. It has been proven repeatedly that a good coach can win here.

I don't really follow this logic. I mean Shaka is kind of exhibit A of the phenomenon you're discussing so not sure how we can say he's a much safer choice.

I suppose if Oats gets Buffalo to the Final 4, your argument gets better. But the fact is that Shaka got VCU to the Final 4 and he post season success - at VCU - was not a one hit wonder a la UNCCharlotte 50 years ago.

Also, Oats has never recruited 4 and 5 stars (and won them), Shaka now has at Texas. You could argue that he then doesn't know how to get the most out of 4/5 stars the way he did with 3 stars, but we don't know if Oats can or can't either.

It's like a restaurant has a great Michelin star, great Yelp reviews, and amazing reviews in the local newspaper, but does have a few recent bad Yelp reviews that may give you pause if it costs too much, but the other option has no Michelin rating or review, no local newspaper reviews yet, but great Yelp reviews, especially recently (Oats). And oh btw, that restaurant recently just jacked up their prices that make it not too much cheaper than the more established one.

I suppose if Oats gets Buffalo to the Final 4, your argument gets better. But the fact is that Shaka got VCU to the Final 4 and he post season success - at VCU - was not a one hit wonder a la UNCCharlotte 50 years ago.

Also, Oats has never recruited 4 and 5 stars (and won them), Shaka now has at Texas. You could argue that he then doesn't know how to get the most out of 4/5 stars the way he did with 3 stars, but we don't know if Oats can or can't either.

It's like a restaurant has a great Michelin star, great Yelp reviews, and amazing reviews in the local newspaper, but does have a few recent bad Yelp reviews that may give you pause if it costs too much, but the other option has no Michelin rating or review, no local newspaper reviews yet, but great Yelp reviews, especially recently (Oats). And oh btw, that restaurant recently just jacked up their prices that make it not too much cheaper than the more established one.

Right. I think this forum overall continues to overvalue Oats and his potential success here. For god's sake, we were celebrating him landing the #217 recruit in the country. That won't fly in the ACC.

Any coach that depends on junior college players to build his program will not work at Wake. No chance.

Unless there is some guarantee that all of our current players are returning plus that our top recruits are coming (and that may not be enough), what coach with an established reputation for winning wants to risk that reputation by taking a program that has been losing big for a decade? It's almost like starting from scratch or starting in a deep hole. That might be good for a coach working his way up, but a coach who has achieved a degree of stardom will not be interested in all likelihood. Wes Miller may be the best bet.

Lol. The Sutton Sports Performance Center, Shah Basketball Complex, CP3 locker room, ACC network and ACC money/budget are "starting from scratch?" :tard:

Shaka's 2019 class and our current roster with a capable coach could have us in the Top 25 next season.

Last edited:
Right. I think this forum overall continues to overvalue Oats and his potential success here. For god's sake, we were celebrating him landing the #217 recruit in the country. That won't fly in the ACC.

That's actually Brandon Childress range, #192.

Jamie Lewis was #276.

Bryant Crawford was #99.

That's the state of our point guard recruiting under Manning/Childress.

And it's reason #1 our team sucks. You're going nowhere with a #200+/- starting PG.

Oats does have one four start (not top 100) guy, Jeenathan Williams.

Shaka was also bringing in the occasional top 100 guy at VCU -- Tevin Mack as previouly mentioned, plus Melvin Johnson and Terry Larrier (+Jamie Skeen as a transfer).

Any coach that depends on junior college players to build his program will not work at Wake. No chance.

So many bad takes. Oats has shown the ability to adapt from high school basketball to building a Top 25 college team in just a few years. I don't think he'd have any trouble adapting to recruiting better players with the WF logo on his shirt. WF opens up doors he can't even knock on at Buffalo. The fact that he has been able to build a stronger team than we've had in a decade on the resources available to him at Buffalo is a positive. It takes a lot of work to turn that into a negative because he has recruited JUCO's to do it.

Last edited:

I wasn't trying to celebrate it. I do think the 31st best PG in the country choosing to play college ball at Buffalo in the MAC is worth noting when the coach is being labeled as a guy that can only build a program off of JUCO players. I believe Oats is legit and that will be obvious to everyone one day in the near future whether he is coaching in the ACC, another Power 6 team, or continues to coach at Buffalo.

Here is how Shaka’s first 4 years at Texas compare to the previous 5 Wake coach’s first 4 years by average SRS (kinda similar to kenpom but goes back further. Average is 0 with rating being roughly equivalent to how much better or worse than the average college basketball team you are. For reference, this year Duke is 28.7, VT is 20.07, and Wake is 2.13):

Shaka: 13.89

Manning: 8.03

[Redacted]: 0.93

Prosser: 17.73

Odom: 12.94

Staak: 4.66

He’s 41 years old. If Currie can pull it off, he’s our best somewhat realistic option other than maybe Matta. Stop overthinking it.

Oats does have one four start (not top 100) guy, Jeenathan Williams.

Shaka was also bringing in the occasional top 100 guy at VCU -- Tevin Mack as previouly mentioned, plus Melvin Johnson and Terry Larrier (+Jamie Skeen as a transfer).

He also had Kenny Williams, a 4-star who de-committed after he left for Texas and signed with UNC.

Even without Havoc, Texas' defensive efficiency has been pretty good under Shaka. Ranked 123 this year, 52 last year, 117 the year before that, and 21 his first year. Wake has had rankings like 243, 299, etc. Who gives a crap about Havoc, whatever he's doing now is a gigantic improvement over Danny Manning's non-defense.

Oats built a Top 25 team at Buffalo without the recruiting bump of a magical run to the Final 4. Shaka had much better teams at VCU after the Final 4 run, built on that success. People continually overrate post-season runs around here. It's a Wellman level mistake. The reason we would want Shaka is not the Final 4 run...it's the teams he built and coached after that. The post season run is nice, but it's just as flukish as Wake's lack of post-season success compared to the level of teams we've had.

With Hoard, Childress and Brown next year that's three pretty good pieces. Throw in Sarr and that's four...

Wynn, Mucius and Wright are serviceable...Add a grad transfer or two and you have a pretty competitive team. Coach them up and you may get to 18-19 wins.

Lol. The Sutton Sports Performance Center, CP3 locker room and ACC network are "starting from scratch?" :tard:

Shaka's 2019 class and our current roster with a capable coach could have us in the Top 25 next season.

Yea, our facilities are sweet and we're in a fertile recruiting area. We're a tough job because the competition is so stiff, but not because our facilities suck and no one cares about basketball or whatever.

Query also whether the Wake job might become a bit more attractive once the NBA age limit goes away and a good chunk of the top 15-20 prospects never make it to campus.

2n1yu1i.png

2m4x2yr.png

Looks like Nate Oats has recruited and won 4-stars already (see my previous post). Now this year he got a high 3-star PG from Seattle to commit to play in Buffalo, NY. Nate Oats can recruit his ass off.

Back