• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

Right. I think this forum overall continues to overvalue Oats and his potential success here. For god's sake, we were celebrating him landing the #217 recruit in the country. That won't fly in the ACC.

I think most undervalue it. Buffalo is an awful program in a bad conference (before Oats joined the program, they had never been to the NCAAT, he's been there three times, twice as the head coach). They just spent the entire season in the top 25. That's just as impressive as anything Shaka ever did at VCU.

Honestly, the fact that Oats has recruited even one 4-star kid is amazing. I mean, he's at MF'ing Buffalo; of course he isn't recruiting at the level necessary to win in the ACC. I suspect the "Remember how we crushed Arizona in that one tourney game that one time?!!" and "Look how rich Khalil Mack is, that could be you!!!" recruiting pitches are only going to get you so far.

"starting from scratch" relates both to wins and losses and on court performance, not facilities. Of course, top players want great facilities but more than that they want to play for winners. And they want electric atmospheres with rabid fan enthusiasm. In the things that matter most, taking Wake right now is like "starting from scratch". But having great facilities does mean that that start may happen more quickly...at least we don't have to wait for new facilities to be planned and constructed. Still there is a lot of hard work ahead for any coach no matter who it is. How many top flight coaches want to start that low?

Why would somebody go from Orlando to Buffalo?

Honestly, the fact that Oats has recruited even one 4-star kid is amazing. I mean, he's at MF'ing Buffalo; of course he isn't recruiting at the level necessary to win in the ACC. I suspect the "Remember how we crushed Arizona in that one tourney game that one time?!!" and "Look how rich Khalil Mack is, that could be you!!!" recruiting pitches are only going to get you so far.

Also, Buffalo is in BUFFALO. Which I see is in NEW YORK. Woof, Buzz.

If that guy Oats can talk anyone any good into coming to live there on purpose he could talk Jesus himself into playing for Wake.

I heard him on Jim Rome last week - and it appears that "you can go snowmobiling!!" is his big pitch.

I heard him on Jim Rome last week - and it appears that "you can go snowmobiling!!" is his big pitch.

Snowmobiling > Disney World I guess.

It's crazy how much LOWF some of our fans have bought into. Wellman has been successful at convincing people we can't compete. There just aren't that many jobs that offer as much as Wake offers. What has occurred the last 9 seasons is mostly meaningless to a coach who looks at the resources available to him. If you are currently coaching a Top 25 team at Buffalo or have been to the Final 4 at VCU, you don't look at Wake and assume you'll fail there because [Redacted] and Manning couldn't do it. Wellman has been the only real negative in all of that, and he's gone now. A good coach, whether Shaka, Oats, or someone else, sees (in no particular order):

- ACC Network/Conference Exposure
- ACC TV money/budgets
- Shah Center/Sutton Sports Performance Center
- NCAA Tourney invites for double digit teams in the conference
- Potential void at the top as K/Roy/Boeheim all nearing retirement
- 2 decades of sustained success under capable coaches
- Joel can be one of the toughest places to play
- 5 star recruits despite sucking
- Strong NBA alumni
- Rabid fan base when good
- Tame fan base and patient AD when bad

Still there is a lot of hard work ahead for any coach no matter who it is. How many top flight coaches want to start that low?

Shaka started at VCU. Oats is coaching at Buffalo. They've both started way lower than what the situation at Wake would be from Day 1 if they took the job. This isn't football...you don't start from where the last coach left off and slowly build over 5 years. You can turn things around in a single class. Your own ceiling is far more important than the floor established by the previous guy.

Last edited:
It's crazy how much LOWF some of our fans have bought into. Wellman has been successful at convincing people we can't compete. There just aren't that many jobs that offer as much as Wake offers. What has occurred the last 9 seasons is mostly meaningless to a coach who looks at the resources available to him. If you are currently coaching a Top 25 team at Buffalo or have been to the Final 4 at VCU, you don't look at Wake and assume you'll fail there because [name redacted] and Manning couldn't do it. Wellman has been the only real negative in all of that, and he's gone now. A good coach, whether Shaka, Oats, or someone else, sees (in no particular order):

- ACC Network/Conference Exposure
- ACC TV money/budgets
- Shah Center/Sutton Sports Performance Center
- NCAA Tourney invites for double digit teams in the conference
- Potential void at the top as K/Roy/Boeheim all nearing retirement
- 2 decades of sustained success under capable coaches
- Joel can be one of the toughest places to play
- 5 star recruits despite sucking
- Strong NBA alumni
- Rabid fan base when good
- Tame fan base and patient AD when bad

I like the way this guy is thinking!

Racer continues making mincemeat of others arguments.

WRONG. We were a total dumpster fire when Danny arrived and his movement was DRAMATICALLY hindered by roster restrictions. We weren't just bad. The roster was going to keep us bad for 2-3 years. You can't turn things around in a single class.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but how does SHAKA who is as bad as so many of you are convinced he is get a team with only 2 top 100 players in our Top 8 get them to be a Top 50 defense Top 25 team?

An objective view of SHAKAS's squad beforenext season would will projected Wake with 13-14 wins season.

I like the way this guy is thinking!

I've often been accused of being one of the most negative people around the last 9 years. I've always been positive on Wake, which is why I've been so extremely negative on [Redacted], Manning and Wellman. Wake is so much better than those three overpaid employees could manage to take advantage of.

That's actually Brandon Childress range, #192.

Jamie Lewis was #276.

Bryant Crawford was #99.

That's the state of our point guard recruiting under Manning/Childress.

And it's reason #1 our team sucks. You're going nowhere with a #200+/- starting PG.

My man crush on Biff continues. This post is so right.

Back