• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Wake? It may be happening

I wouldn't spend much more time worrying about Smart or any other coach for that matter. Our village idiots can't even figure out how to fire the current coach.
Not the village idiots

The idiot Mayor

Yeah I’m not trusting a guy named after the alt-persona of one of the characters on Its Always Sunny. However, that episode where Dennis and Mac are realtors named Hugh Honey and Vic Vinegar is incredible.

True.

Although I heard that Dr. Mantis Toboggan, a noted medical legend in Austin, wrote that Shaka is on his way out

This is mostly correct. Except in those days, there weren't as many teams so Wake only played one game after beating Arkansas (they beat Southern Illinois) and if we had beaten Marquette we would have played UNCC in the Final Four. Instead Marquette played UNCC in the Final Four (winning 51-49) and then beat UNC for the championship.

We were in good shape in the Marquette game until Al McGuire switched Marquette to a triangle and two defense to stop Skip Brown and Jerry Schellenberg (the big white kid, as McGuire called him). Carl Tacy actually used that defense several times in subsequent years.

Hatch FUCKED SHAKA again. VT poised to swoop in. SHAKA in BLACKSburg is the new ACC

Flakka to Wake would be an upgrade over our current situation.

We were in good shape in the Marquette game until Al McGuire switched Marquette to a triangle and two defense to stop Skip Brown and Jerry Schellenberg (the big white kid, as McGuire called him). Carl Tacy actually used that defense several times in subsequent years.

Yes there was only one game between beating Arkansas and playing Marquette. We beat So. Illinois, whose AD was Gayle Sayers. And for anyone who doesn’t know, Charlotte was called UNC -Charlotte then.

I don’t recall exactly what happened in the Marquette game, but we were leading in the second half. Seems like we had a one point lead and Tacy pulled back into the Four Corners offense. No shot clock back then. The strategy had worked well for us during the year, as we had good ball handlers who could shoot free throws in the clutch. In addition to Skip and Jerry, we also had Frank Johnson.

It fell apart quickly and Marquette built a lead that grew to about 14 points. I have tried to find a video of the game over the years, but with no success. WFU71 probably remembers the true details, but we were damn close. Loved that team.

Had we beaten Marquette, we had a great chance for the title. The remaining teams in our way were teams that we knew we could beat.

All of the games were played in Oklahoma. A group of fraternity brothers drove out there on spring break and stayed in Norman. Good times. I miss good times.

I know people pooh pooh it, but it looks like we may be balls to the walls for SHAKA. CLEARLY if he's coming to football games at Groves he's not looking to stay at a big state university (yes there were a lot of students at VCU, but it's not the same as TX, UCLA, AZ or a similar school. It's a commuter school). The ACC will be the #1 conference for decades.

TX is in a BAD conference. It's different now than it was in previosu year.

SHAKA isn't like Stevens. His style would NOT work in the NBA.

SHAKA and CURRY are friends. SHAKA could stay Wake for the rest of his career and be a legend.

If CURRY doesn't take a shot, we are being LOWF. You can't win if you don't try.

Start the bidding at $50.0M/ten years and go up to $55-60M. We can DEFINITELY afford it.

Patience is a virtue.... looking for Currie to close the deal and bring his friend Shaka to Wake.

As has been stated, our facilities are now second to none. Our coaching staffs should be likewise. :thumbsup:

with Watson and another player or two, SHAKA can turn it around in a hurry.

Hell with MASSOUD, Isaiah and SW2, he has the CORNERSTONES of his play style waiting for him when arrives.

Had SHAKA been here this year, we would have 24-28 games

Back