• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most notorious crimes, by state

Yeah, the Fort Bragg murders by Jeffrey McDonald would likely be the most notorious North Carolina crime considering the media, book, miniseries, etc.

My wife thought about that guy; I also submitted Rae Carruth for consideration.

listicle fail: i didn't see wellman's decisions WRT to wake basketball listed for North Carolina

The Newsom/Klenner (Bitter Blood) murders. Some of the freakiest shit I have ever heard of. Tom Lynch (not a murder victim but his mother, sister, and two sons were) was a Wake basketball player. His nut job ex-wife (who was responsible for the murders) was also a Wake student.

I think Charlie Manson might be pissed he didn't make the list for CA.

Oklahoma City bombing way more notorious than the Girl Scout murders chosen

the NC christmas murders were featured on the podcast "criminal" on one episode. Solid podcast if you are into that kind of thing.

The Newsom/Klenner (Bitter Blood) murders. Some of the freakiest shit I have ever heard of. Tom Lynch (not a murder victim but his mother, sister, and two sons were) was a Wake basketball player. His nut job ex-wife (who was responsible for the murders) was also a Wake student.

I had never heard of this. Just spent 15 mins reading the story. Insane.

It would be unbelievable if it wasn’t believable due to the reporting by Bledsoe (author) and all the evidence and work surrounding the case. Truly a wild and entertaining story, tragic for the deaths involved though, especially the kids. I recommend the book. The local ties are a solid hook, too. Bledsoe has written other true crime books that I’d also recommend (While He Sleeps, and Blood Games). I’m not a big reader but Bitter Blood and the others are page turners.

Regarding the "nut job ex-wife", Susan Newsom was in my class (1970) and worked, as I did, at the Library for at least a year. It was surreal to read about her in "Bitter Blood", as she was as quiet and unassuming a person as I have ever known.

I remember watching the made for tv movie about Bitter Blood when I was a kid. I found a bootleg dvd copy online a few years back from a guy in Alaska. It was interesting rewatching the movie some 20 years later after reading the book. Fascinating story.

The Z. Smith Reynolds murder is also a fascinating local murder mystery.

Yeah. I was 15 years old when it happened. I had a summer job delivering the WS Journal. I would wake up early and make my deliveries and then come home and read the latest on this case.

In 2005, I was able to talk to the Moravian pastor who discovered the Newsom bodies about his experience. And then the Greensboro paper re-ran it's series on it. Reading that, I learned that one of the cops in the big final chase was a member of my church. It was fascinating to hear them talk about it.

Back