• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

The part of the press conference I heard made it sound like someone in another case let the FBI in on it, probably in hopes of lessening his own charges.

This is how the case against Raj Rajaratnam, Anil Kumar, and ex-Mckinsey head Rajat Gupta started. Some lady in San Jose was fucking over her Indian maid and providing insider trading info to Raj Raj. When the maid got a lawyer, the lady brought a fake document into court and they had her. She agreed to wear a wire when talking to Raj, and then they were able to get a wire on him ...

this sucks and sucks even more to drag our name through the mud for freakin volleyball

at least we could have some final fours or BCS bowls to vacate if we're going to cheat

Is this really a bad thing? It groups Wake Forest in academically with Yale, Georgetown, Stanford and USC. It doesn't impact Basketball or Football. Wake is referred to as an elite institution, and people from across the country are going to know its a school that rich people want to send their kids to, so they in turn will try to send their kids to Wake.

The Volleyball coach will probably get fired, and the NCAA will take a look, but we are not going to lose any wins over this.

This is such a non-scandal, that is only getting so much attention, because it intersects the personal lives of the rich and famous and college athletics. As they guy said, this is just the side door. Rich folk have been getting under achieving children into elite institutions for a hundred years, this time they just tried to do it with fake recruiting profiles, instead of donating a building.

this sucks and sucks even more to drag our name through the mud for freakin volleyball

at least we could have some final fours or BCS bowls to vacate if we're going to cheat

For it to be cheating, shouldn't Wake Forest have gained an advantage from it? If any thing, it sounds like Wake Forest (and the other schools) are victims.

More details about Aunt Becky and the Mossimo guy and their Instagram-influencer daughters.
https://slate.com/human-interest/20...knoUQbXYNZAIWXqZTHRbhZAZx9p8-Swq7tUIjOzhU7JOs

It’s a lot to process that Lori Loughlin—Aunt Becky!—is among the 50 or so people who have been charged in a huge college admissions cheating scandal uncovered by an FBI investigation. It’s like the Panama Papers or the Sony hack, kids’ edition. But it’s crucial not to let the sudden resurfacing of the beloved sitcom actress (whose last name is pronounced “Locklin,” by the way, who knew?) distract you from the real stars of this imbroglio: Loughlin’s Instagram-influencer daughters, Olivia Jade and Isabella Rose Giannulli. Together with the girls’ father, designer Mossimo Giannulli, he of the eponymous Target brand, Loughlin allegedly paid $500,000 to get Olivia and Bella into the University of Southern California. The young women reportedly passed themselves off as crew recruits to gain admissions preference.
It’s not altogether clear whether the girls were aware of the scam, though they did pose for pictures with rowing machines to be sent onto USC’s subcommittee for athletic admission. (Though the swindle seemed to work beautifully—twice!—according to the criminal complaint it created a tricky social situation for Mossimo, who is golf buddies with USC’s athletic director. How awkward!)

And this isn’t even the first time Olivia’s education has been the subject of controversy, according to Yahoo News. Last year, she posted a video where she spoke about her college plans and said, “I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend … But I do want the experience of like game days, partying … I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.” After some of her fans called her “spoiled” and “privileged,” Olivia posted an apology video. However, she recently made similarly ill-considered comments about attending college in an appearance on another YouTube channel, and some of her tweets have … not aged well.

I'm guessing the student-athletes were more likely in on it and the ones who didn't play a sport just thought they got in like anybody else. Keep in mind, any kid with a parent willing to shell out $500K or so has have so many pathways open for them they don't know how regular people apply for and get into college.

Lol what in the world are you talking about?

Classic WF to cheat and keep losing in basketball and doing well (but not top 10 duh) exceedingly well in football.

Wellman - wtf?

Do WF professors actually put up with these richie rich spoiled kids? No way that Olivia gal could pass the 5-credit required science with lab, could she?

So basically cheating at Wake means getting non-athletes admitted as students, instead of getting non-students admitted as athletes. This is the most Wake story since Wolford got an investment banking internship.

Somebody please explain to me how Wake Forest cheated. Sounds to me like Wake Forest was the victim of cheating.

The only cheating I care about is having been cheated out of the last nine years of basketball.

Lol what in the world are you talking about?

Talking about the same thing we're all talking about. What's the problem?

I believe that this started with medicare fraud in Florida (what else is new?) The FBI's probe also uncovered that the crook bribed then-Penn Coach Ray Allen to get his son into school as an alleged basketballer. The kid couldn't play bb at the Ivy League level, but is still at Penn in the Wharton School. I wonder if Don Jr. got in this way given how stupid he is.

It could be time to clean house at Wake. Everything is too cozy at these colleges while tuition goes thru the roof. And get rid of volleyball. I have trouble with these country club sports. We dole out hundreds of thousands in scholarships for sports that produce no revenue and few care about. Basically, it's welfare for the rich. On the other hand, it is nice to reward achievement, though apparently it is not really achievement in all cases.

Somebody please explain to me how Wake Forest cheated. Sounds to me like Wake Forest was the victim of cheating.

Agree with this until and unless the evidence turns up that WF Admissions was collaborating with the Volleyball coach on this, which seems doubtful.

Not illegal for a school to admit a border-line kid because a coach claims he will help his/her specific program. Once the volleyball coach vouched for the prospective student as a recruit, I doubt the admissions department followed up on the recruit's athletic background to determine if the prospective student is truly a legit athlete.

Obviously, the volleyball coach is gone, but don't see WF dropping the program.

Under Title IX, WF needs women's sports to offset the scholarships devoted to football. If WF drops volleyball, it has to add another women's sport to balance the men's and women's ships.

Last edited:
WF Deacon Club got $10k and WF Women's Volleyball got $40k

Not illegal to accept a donation. Another story if the Deacon Club accepted the $10K in return for WF admitting the prospective student. Haven't seen that alleged.

And how is that cheating? The school and athletic department gets donations everyday. Usually cheating (especially in athletics) involves the school or its boosters paying the recruits or their family. Not the other way around.

And how is that cheating? The school and athletic department gets donations everyday. Usually cheating (especially in athletics) involves the school or its boosters paying the recruits or their family. Not the other way around.

victims don't usually collect $50k for nothing

Not illegal to accept a donation. Another story if the Deacon Club accepted the $10K in return for WF admitting the prospective student. Haven't seen that alleged.

who said it was illegal?

victims don't usually collect $50k for nothing

No, but influencing admissions decisions with fraudulent information does. The donation to the school is irrelevant. Colleges get donations everyday. The only relevant donation was the one made to the coach. And even if the school gave admissions preference because of a donation, that's the school's business. Wake Forest became a victim when fraudulent information was provided to admissions.

No, but influencing admissions decisions with fraudulent information does. The donation to the school is irrelevant. Colleges get donations everyday. The only relevant donation was the one made to the coach. And even if the school gave admissions preference because of a donation, that's the school's business. Wake Forest became a victim when fraudulent information was provided to admissions.

cool

I get paid every two weeks - how about you pay me $50k, since it's irrelevant?

It could be time to clean house at Wake. Everything is too cozy at these colleges while tuition goes thru the roof. And get rid of volleyball. I have trouble with these country club sports. We dole out hundreds of thousands in scholarships for sports that produce no revenue and few care about. Basically, it's welfare for the rich. On the other hand, it is nice to reward achievement, though apparently it is not really achievement in all cases.

Gonna have some Title IX problems then

Back