• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

You're correct. And why? Because I didn't defraud you. See the difference?

The donation and the fraud are two separate acts. Wake Forest was victimized by the fraud despite the donation.

well, before I cash that $50,000 check, I might want to understand why you're paying me. Even though I get paid all the time.

Wow, what a crazy story. So many strange and interesting layers!

Only one person mentioned this, but this actually reflects well on the admissions department at Wake (and Stanford, Georgetown, etc). It basically shows that a large donation to the school is not going to get a student admitted. Instead, an elaborate scheme had to be set up to trick the admissions department into giving a student preference based on their perceived athletic abilities.

Each coach at a D1 school gets exceptions that they can take to the admissions department - some coaches/programs/schools get more than others. Becky from Full House apparently realized this as a way to trick admissions departments into giving students preference. The coach benefits both by getting cash directly (funneled through camp) and by getting cash directed to their program (through the Deacon Club).

It wouldn’t totally shock me if donations of that amount from parents of walkons or regular legit players are pretty common in the Olympic sports.

This is true at every school, even on the D3 level. Parents, relatives and friends of athletes often give large donations to the applicable college booster program which are earmarked for the program which their kid/friend participates.

Talking about the same thing we're all talking about. What's the problem?

Claiming a kid who has a parent wealthy enough to throw $500k around to get them in to college “don’t know how regular people get into college” is a crazy thing to say. Literally thousands of kids with parents fitting that bill apply for college every year just like a normal kid from the sticks. 30-40 people caught up in this doesn’t change that.

sure, there are donations

but $40,000 to the (Women's Volleyball!) program and $50,000 to the camp, along with $10,000 to the Deacon Club?

those come in all the time?

How many Moricle Society members are there - because that only costs $60,000, and I'm pretty sure Wellman and Hatch know every member of that group by name

Last edited:
I wonder if awareness of this type of activity back years ago was some of the reason Skip Prosser would not accept Wes Miller (had a D2 schollarship to JM, I believe) be a walk on or scholarship player at MSD baskeball.

He played at James Madison initially, who is decidedly not D2

sure, there are donations

but $40,000 to the program and $50,000 to the camp, along with $10,000 to the Deacon Club?

those come in all the time?

How many Moricle Society members are there - because that only costs $60,000, and I'm pretty sure Wellman and Hatch know every member of that group by name

Exactly. How many $40k+ donations has the volleyball program ever gotten? It should have raised eyebrows.

IIRC, in the mid 2000s, there was a WF golfer with the last name Manchester who was a fringe player, and his parents donated 7 figures to Wake Forest (some of which may have been earmarked for the golf program). Manchester was from California. Not saying this is how the kid got into WF, but at the time, remember thinking that's one way to ensure your kid gets to play in some matches.

He played at James Madison initially, who is decidedly not D2

No slight to JM intended. A scholarship offer, P5 from WFU vs whatever level, still might raise a small question but don't see a walk-on offer being any problem. And he was a good player. Has to be some reason Skip would not do it back then.

Especially when undergrad doesn't even mean that much!

Classic. Yeah I�m sure Stanford grads don�t have any advantages over the general population.

Exactly. How many $40k+ donations has the volleyball program ever gotten? It should have raised eyebrows.

I don’t think you understand what’s going on here. The Deacon Club certainly knew exactly where that money was coming from, and that it was because of a specific student. As mentioned earlier, donations to booster clubs, because of specific student athletes, happen all the time. Sometimes into the hundreds of thousands of dollar range, again just because of specific student athletes. And the booster club understands that explicitly. What the Deacon Club and school didn’t know, was that the coach was accepting money to designate applicants as recruited athletes, to get them accepted.

As many parents know, when you sign your child up for a sports camp under some college coaches, the check is written directly to the coach.

And how is that cheating? The school and athletic department gets donations everyday. Usually cheating (especially in athletics) involves the school or its boosters paying the recruits or their family. Not the other way around.

Did the girl even play volleyball? Or was she just put on as a volleyballer to get her off waiting list and admitted? Then it is cheating the system and brings in the authorities because everybody got paid for doing it behind the scenes.

Classic. Yeah I�m sure Stanford grads don�t have any advantages over the general population.

Lots of people making lots of money out here with college degrees from regular colleges or small colleges. One doesn't have to go to some prestigious private university where you pay $75,000 per year to be guaranteed a good job in the real world.

There is clearly a dollar figure "gift" that gets anyone admitted to just about any university. Apparently Wake's is over $100,000, so you need to bribe a dirty volleyball coach.

I don’t think you understand what’s going on here. The Deacon Club certainly knew exactly where that money was coming from, and that it was because of a specific student. As mentioned earlier, donations to booster clubs, because of specific student athletes, happen all the time. Sometimes into the hundreds of thousands of dollar range, again just because of specific student athletes. And the booster club understands that explicitly. What the Deacon Club and school didn’t know, was that the coach was accepting money to designate applicants as recruited athletes, to get them accepted.

As many parents know, when you sign your child up for a sports camp under some college coaches, the check is written directly to the coach.

So - “doesn’t matter, got paid”? Turn a blind eye as long as the check clears? You’re really going to die on that shill?

Back