• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

I’m sure they knew the “non profit” from which the donation came was associated with her parents. I would guess they made that very clear. Again, that’s how this scam worked.

And you don’t think an unnecessary middle man shouldn’t set off alarm bells at the DC?

In other words, do some due diligence on the actual athletic merit of players coaches want to admit. That, naturally, won't necessarily stop bribery from occurring. But it does do something to assure student athletes coaches seek to admit are actually athletes.

This is one of the reasons the scam worked. The admissions department, in no way, shape, or form is able to make an informed comment on the athletic skills of a volleyball player. How would they? Request tape? Travel to some AAU tournaments? Part of the scam was creating fake recruiting pages for the athletes, so it looked like they were better than they were.

And you don’t think an unnecessary middle man shouldn’t set off alarm bells at the DC?

I don’t know but would guess that a lot these donations come from trusts, non profits, LLCs, etc. That’s how rich people operate.

This is one of the reasons the scam worked. The admissions department, in no way, shape, or form is able to make an informed comment on the athletic skills of a volleyball player. How would they? Request tape? Travel to some AAU tournaments? Part of the scam was creating fake recruiting pages for the athletes, so it looked like they were better than they were.

Well it seems like they may have to do it if they don't want their coaches caught up with the FBI.

By the way, I hope nobody assumes this Singer guy is the only one doing this.

I don’t know but would guess that a lot these donations come from trusts, non profits, LLCs, etc. That’s how rich people operate.

Absolutely, but a nice five-figure check from a brand new donor gives fundraisers a boner.

the donation was made before the girl enrolled at WF

Was it? I had not read that. Was it before she was accepted? Either way, the coach would just say, “hey, we have a very wealthy girl I’m recruiting/accepted/is on the team, her parents are going to make a donation.”

Well it seems like they may have to do it if they don't want their coaches caught up with the FBI.

So you're saying that Wake Forest might have admitted two qualified students off the waiting list for $200K ?

Did you read about the whole story? There wasn’t just one guy involved. There were dozens of coaches of non-revenue sports involved. How can you say these sports weren’t part of the scam when they were?

I assume the Deacon Club knows because the rest of us know. You agreed with me that they would be wrong to keep the money. Why are you arguing about it?

Wait, you mean it is possible people who don't make lots of money might be to bribe if you offer then a few hundred thousand dollars? I'm stunned. Again, at Wake it was one college coach. That's it. He committed a crime. His life is being turned upside down. He'll likely remain unemployable as a coach anywhere the rest of his life. He may well spend time in prison. Those were the stakes before today's announcement. And today those remain the stakes today for anyone dumb enough to take a bribe like he apparently did. And you can no more devise a control that will prevent people from ruining their lives than you can make pigs fly.

Still waiting on that practical proposal from you. Non-revenue sports and their coaches without a pot to piss in be damned!!!

About all any of these schools can do is demand some diligence that the athletes in question are actual bona fide athletes. Does anyone know if the girl in question here was at least a real player on the team - like a passable player even if not a huge contributor. Or does she literally never play, have really no prospects to ever play and had no resume that would suggest she could ever play?

TIL there are a lot of poors here who don’t understand how the world works.

It would be quite illegal for the owner of a non-profit to give a donation for personal gain. It’s called “self-dealing”.

See Trump, Donald.

How would an admissions department even handle this? They already process thousands of applications. Now they need to be experts in all sports, too? They’re going to debate the athletic merits of Michael Wynn with Danny Manning?

Was it? I had not read that. Was it before she was accepted? Either way, the coach would just say, “hey, we have a very wealthy girl I’m recruiting/accepted/is on the team, her parents are going to make a donation.”

that's certainly what is suggested in the indictment:

D1d-PDIWkAMyFpN.jpg:large

and so we have the WF women's volleyball team getting a $40k donation, and you're saying WF knows exactly who the source of these funds are, and subsequently the volleyball coach says he's recruiting that girl so she should be moved from the waitlist and admitted

I'm gonna stay on the "WF is not a victim" side here

“There’s a girl on the waitlist whose parents are going to route $40k to you through a non-profit that says it helps disadvantage students. Please don’t ask any follow up questions.”

TIL there are a lot of poors here who don’t understand how the world works.

Us stupid poors understand how the world works and think it shouldn't work that way.

Wait, you mean it is possible people who don't make lots of money might be to bribe if you offer then a few hundred thousand dollars? I'm stunned. Again, at Wake it was one college coach. That's it. He committed a crime. His life is being turned upside down. He'll likely remain unemployable as a coach anywhere the rest of his life. He may well spend time in prison. Those were the stakes before today's announcement. And today those remain the stakes today for anyone dumb enough to take a bribe like he apparently did. And you can no more devise a control that will prevent people from ruining their lives than you can make pigs fly.

Still waiting on that practical proposal from you. Non-revenue sports and their coaches without a pot to piss in be damned!!!

About all any of these schools can do is demand some diligence that the athletes in question are actual bona fide athletes. Does anyone know if the girl in question here was at least a real player on the team - like a passable player even if not a huge contributor. Or does she literally never play, have really no prospects to ever play and had no resume that would suggest she could ever play?

You're asking questions that coverage of the story has already answered. It's already been established that mean of these "athletes" either never showed up for a practice or "quit" the team shortly after enrolling. For example, Lori Loughlin's daughters are Instagram models who got into USC through the crew team.

You know what really grinds my gears ? When I but a ticket for one of those big ferris wheels they have in big cities and have to wait in line longer because someone bought one of those VIP tickets and gets to skip the line.

It would be quite illegal for the owner of a non-profit to give a donation for personal gain. It’s called “self-dealing”.

See Trump, Donald.

That would be one reason the gifts were made to the Deacon Club. One tax exempt foundation to another. Considering the whole operation was a way to subvert the normal university admissions process, why worry about "self-dealing?"

Why worry about "self-dealing?"

1) Rafi said it was normal thing. But I’m guessing most legitimate donations aren’t from personal non-profits because...

2) Defrauding a private college isn’t a crime. Self Dealing can lead all sorts penalties.

1 - Reading the above I'm left with the impression you think the coaches work for the admissions department. They don't, of course. This is NOT a reflection on Wake admissions. It is a reflection on a faculty member who doesn't work for admissions who committed a crime - a crime the university would be hard pressed to know had occurred less they monitor Western Union transactions or cash delivered in envelopes. They don't, of course.

2 - Smart coaches in non-revenue sports are probably now even more aware that accepting a bribe to influence admissions at their university could ruin their lives. No one in a university can stop a member of the faculty from accepting a cash bribe save that faculty member. There are dumb people in every profession. You can't create a safety net that will detect their stupidity and lack of judgement.

3 - Admissions departments are not in the business of judging athletic talent, nor should they be. Outside of getting documentation of where kids played and their accomplishments there is very little more than can do. And even documenting accomplishments can be hollow. There are plenty of kids who come on like hell fire later in their careers. Are they to be denied admission because they weren't stand out sophomores?

4 - On what basis are you now implicating a host of other coaches at the university (or any other university) or even one more coach? Because Singer directed a bribe someone else must have done so too? Do you know anything about how the FBI prosecutes investigations? You could be right. You likely one day will be right. But it takes some huge balls to process millions in bribes like this cat did and think you won't get caught.

5 - If I'm Wake admissions there is a small part of me that is thinking this type of publicity is priceless. The school is so desirable someone was willing to bribe someone hundreds of thousands of dollars to try and influence an admission. They just got lumped into a pile with Stanford and Yale.

Last edited:
Back