• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest University Coach Named By FBI in Bribery and Academic Fraud Scandal

This is one of the reasons the scam worked. The admissions department, in no way, shape, or form is able to make an informed comment on the athletic skills of a volleyball player. How would they? Request tape? Travel to some AAU tournaments? Part of the scam was creating fake recruiting pages for the athletes, so it looked like they were better than they were.

I'm with you, largely. All they can do is get some documentation of where she played and any accomplishments/honors she claimed to have won. That's it. And I still don't see how that, per se, prevents bribery. My kid is probably going to be a varsity hockey player at one of the better historic programs in the state. No way in hell he should ever be a D1 athlete though. On paper an admissions department would have no way of knowing whether that was true or not.

I agree they should not be in the business of trying to pass judgement about actual ability, impact on team chemistry and all sundry of other things that fall to the coaches.

DeacMan, which do you think your weird Arizona State tangent is more about: a) that dude's dad is rich, or b) the publicity that would generate for the school in massive-ass China?

Heavy lean toward the latter for me

DeacMan, which do you think your weird Arizona State tangent is more about: a) that dude's dad is rich, or b) the publicity that would generate for the school in massive-ass China?

Heavy lean toward the latter for me

My lean would be towards (a) and not (b) only because I can't imagine they are thrilled with their current facilities. I learned about this through a very close friend whose son plays in the NAHL. He was sort of laughing about how kids work their ass off to get a look from a D1 school and this kid was a decent enough skater but really had not produced and was still headed to ASU. Another parent had told him about the kid's Dad.

That program is still viewed as new to D1 and is just now getting a foothold as a legit program. The rink where they play is not at all D1 caliber vis a vis other schools they have to recruit against. They are finally starting to make real progress on the recruiting trail in this state - which for hockey is sort of like recruiting Florida or Texas in football. They landed a top kid last year and another one this year (although he's only a junior and kids flop commits a lot in hockey). It will take those kids a couple of years to hit the college scene since most kids play a year in the USHL or the NAHL before they enroll in college. But both those guys would have generated interest from a host of other schools. So they should be on the ups in terms of overall talent over the next few years.

You're asking questions that coverage of the story has already answered. It's already been established that mean of these "athletes" either never showed up for a practice or "quit" the team shortly after enrolling. For example, Lori Loughlin's daughters are Instagram models who got into USC through the crew team.

Wait, so you're suggesting in some instances the fraud was even deeper than in others. Amazing. What a revelation!! And this reflects on Wake exactly how? Our admissions department is now magically tied to the practices or lack of insight of others who were subjected to higher levels of dishonesty and fraud? Again, make an actual practical point. How, per se, are you going to create a system that can sniff out admissions fraud and bribery?

Last edited:
You’re a weird dude, DeacMan.

Loughlin’s youngest daughter has a YouTube channel with 2 million subscribers.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/03/lori...lycUUF4TP6-D5lfnIbhPiY137QvRbqKYLlloe4vN4T6Eo

“Mostly, my parents really wanted me to go because both of them didn’t go to college,” Olivia Jade responds. “But I’m so happy they made me go. That sounds so terrible. They didn’t make me. […] I do like it. It’s also cool to create content from a whole different side of things, like in school.”

Olivia Jade’s followers are clearly curious about her collegiate life. She adds: “It’s the coolest thing getting DMs from girls, like, ‘I’m applying to college right now, what did you do?’”

How are "non-revenue" sports part of the scam, Ph? They aren't. One guy took a bribe and tried to get a student admitted to school fraudulently. That's all that happened. It could just as easily have happened at the admissions department. It could have happened on the debate team. It could have happened in the art department. On the one hand you aren't "indicting" non-revenue sports. On the other hand you're droning on about how "non-revenue sports are part of a scam" and how the Deacon Club is "complicit" in all of this because someone happened to write them a check.

So Wake got duped by the volleyball coach. What monolithic changes should we implement to ensure "merit" prevails Ph? How shall we cure the Deacon Club's "complicit" behavior in this awful travesty even though we have zero proof they had any idea the volleyball coach was committing a crime? Actually say something pragmatic for once in your life.

This

I have a feeling the resignation of Wellman is related to the academic scandal involving the volleyball coach. I bet RW knew this was coming down and decided to jump ship. The timing is too coincidental.

that's certainly what is suggested in the indictment:

D1d-PDIWkAMyFpN.jpg:large

and so we have the WF women's volleyball team getting a $40k donation, and you're saying WF knows exactly who the source of these funds are, and subsequently the volleyball coach says he's recruiting that girl so she should be moved from the waitlist and admitted

I'm gonna stay on the "WF is not a victim" side here

It would be really unusual for the FBI not to lay out the entirety of their case here and to be withholding to go after more people later. There is a high likelihood many people and institutions have been co-operating with the FBI for quite some time now, including Wake and other schools. I'm not speaking to the timing or level of that co-operation. I'm just noting it has existed for a while and none of us can be sure as to the level from person to person or institution to institution. There are some really high profile people caught up in this including the Co-Chair of Wilkie Farr, some famous actresses and actors, other execs. This was a very detailed investigation. And relative to Wake the indictment is a much simpler story than is weaved for other schools. Kid was on the waiting list. Money came to three different parties including to the coach's personal camp account. Kid was obviously ultimately admitted.

I have a feeling the resignation of Wellman is related to the academic scandal involving the volleyball coach. I bet RW knew this was coming down and decided to jump ship. The timing is too coincidental.

NO! Surely not "high values" Wellman!

If you want to know what "dirty" or "abnormal" shit people are into, just pay attention to what they publicly protest the most against.

You’re a weird dude, DeacMan.

Loughlin’s youngest daughter has a YouTube channel with 2 million subscribers.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/03/lori...lycUUF4TP6-D5lfnIbhPiY137QvRbqKYLlloe4vN4T6Eo

“Mostly, my parents really wanted me to go because both of them didn’t go to college,” Olivia Jade responds. “But I’m so happy they made me go. That sounds so terrible. They didn’t make me. […] I do like it. It’s also cool to create content from a whole different side of things, like in school.”

Olivia Jade’s followers are clearly curious about her collegiate life. She adds: “It’s the coolest thing getting DMs from girls, like, ‘I’m applying to college right now, what did you do?’”

I'm weird. And now you're making an obtuse reference to some kid who doesn't go to Wake who is caught up in a nationwide scandal involving hundreds of different families having a youtube channel? Got it.

I'm weird. And now you're making an obtuse reference to some kid who doesn't go to Wake who is caught up in a nationwide scandal involving hundreds of different families having a youtube channel? Got it.

DeacMan, you keep showing that you haven't been following the national story. It's embarrassing. The "obtuse reference" is to one of the two famous actresses caught up in this thing. Lori Loughlin is at the top of almost every article on this. To you it's not weird to bring up an obscure hockey player, but it is weird to bring up famous people at the center of this whole story.

Read up and come back.

Here's an example of a kid who had no idea how they got into USC.

DeacMan, you keep showing that you haven't been following the national story. It's embarrassing. The "obtuse reference" is to one of the two famous actresses caught up in this thing. Lori Loughlin is at the top of almost every article on this. To you it's not weird to bring up an obscure hockey player, but it is weird to bring up famous people at the center of this whole story.

Read up and come back.

Here's an example of a kid who had no idea how they got into USC.

Yes, clearly I have no idea that famous people's kids are involved in this. And she's and her youtube channel are relevant to Wake Forest in any way because? A fake pole vaulter who was admitted to USC is relevant to the volleyball coach at Wake because? There are hundreds of families involved in this thing. Hundreds. We have one example from Wake. And it seems pretty cut and dried. Someone paid the volleyball coach to push to get their kid off the waitlist. And, so far as we know, it was an actual volleyball player. So your point is?

Last edited:
Yes, clearly I have no idea that famous people's kids are involved in this. And she's and her youtube channel are relevant to Wake Forest in any way because? A fake pole vaulter who was admitted to USC is relevant to the volleyball coach at Wake because? There are hundreds of families involved in this thing. Hundreds. We have one example from Wake. And it seems pretty cut and dried. Someone paid the volleyball coach to push to get their kid off the waitlist. And, so far as we know, it was an actual volleyball player. So your point is?

Hundreds of families? Link?

This is the summary I've found:
https://www.chronicle.com/article/8-Universities-Millions-in/245873?cid=wcontentgrid_hp_1b

photo_91336_original.png

Last edited:
It is a reflection on a faculty member who doesn't work for admissions who committed a crime

VERY important clarification: no member of the athletic department coaching staff is "faculty"

You really think money doesn't matter. There's a kid from China who plays in the NAHL. He is a commit to the Arizona State hockey program (they are now D1). Playing in the NAHL is decent cotton. But there are loads of kids in that league who don't sniff a D1 schollie who are putting up way better numbers. Turns out his Dad is a multi-billionaire. None of this is shocking. The Volleyball coach doesn't give a rip. One marginal player isn't going to sink his program.

ASU has an exclusive 83% acceptance rate and the children of many Chinese billionaires. I don't think this is the same at all.

ASU has an exclusive 83% acceptance rate and the children of many Chinese billionaires. I don't think this is the same at all.

Neither do I. Which was the point I was making. When the university knows it is taking in an athlete in part because Dad has billions that's different than a university employee pocketing money personally and then pushing the university, with no knowledge of the payment, to admit an athlete whose parents were the source of the money he pocketed.

Back